Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

What color stripes and How wide?

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/10, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What color stripes and How wide?

I have a 2010 Performance White Mustang (V6 Premium) and I want to put stripes on it. My dad is friends with a guy who does stripes and stuff and said he could do basically anything I wanted.

But I can't decide what color or how wide/thick I want them.

I was thinking of putting a hood scoop on and then putting Two 6" stripes all the way down the middle with an inch of silver striping down the side of them. Sort of like the 2011 GT500 (SVT Package). But I don't how that would look with my tinted tail lights. I was also thinking of powder coating my rims all black with a white lip.

Opinions on stripes and how things would look all together?
Old 8/23/10, 10:52 AM
Banned

Everyone has their own view on this, but mine is that "Sort of like the 2011 GT500" is sorta like "being a poseur". It's sort of like swapping out the grille with one from a Shelby, makes you look like a wannabe. There are plenty of other striping options that don't look like Shelby stripes.

It's your car, do what you want, but I hate poseurs -- when I was younger I knew of a guy that put the 5.0 badging and bodykit on his 4-cyl Mustang. We used to torment him mercilessly.

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 8/23/10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 8/23/10, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the stripes are the least of your concern when it comes to "posing" as a Shelby. I'm not a fan of the skinny stripes on the newer GT500's, but to each his own. For reference, both the thick and skinny GT500 stripes, as well as the Super Snake stripes (which are absolutely gorgeous, fyi) have been used on S197's long before they were officially dubbed that by Shelby/Ford, so the argument against is ridiculous. Going by similar logic, lowering your Mustang by an inch to match that of the GT500 should be frowned upon as well, because hey, having a nice stance is making you look like a poseur. Swapping to a grill without fog logs? Stop posing, bro!

In all seriousness. White cars tend to look best with black stripe(s), in my opinion. I could spend all day going on about how much I love the Super Snake stripes, if you hadn't noticed, by here is how it looks on a white 2010 PW GT. Fill in the blanks for differences in body panels, or heck, swap to them if you like them more!
Old 8/24/10, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Everyone has their own view on this, but mine is that "Sort of like the 2011 GT500" is sorta like "being a poseur". It's sort of like swapping out the grille with one from a Shelby, makes you look like a wannabe. There are plenty of other striping options that don't look like Shelby stripes.

It's your car, do what you want, but I hate poseurs -- when I was younger I knew of a guy that put the 5.0 badging and bodykit on his 4-cyl Mustang. We used to torment him mercilessly.
Wow, I guess if someone has a C-stripe they're posing (poser*, by the way) as a Boss, right?
And if you have any stripes at all you're posing as a 1964 mustang, right?

And let me guess, the 2011 GT500 SVT is posing as a Ford GT because it has thin stripes, right?

..Stripes mean nothing, Emblems do. Go get a Mustang before you try to talk crap.
Old 8/24/10, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I think the stripes are the least of your concern when it comes to "posing" as a Shelby. I'm not a fan of the skinny stripes on the newer GT500's, but to each his own. For reference, both the thick and skinny GT500 stripes, as well as the Super Snake stripes (which are absolutely gorgeous, fyi) have been used on S197's long before they were officially dubbed that by Shelby/Ford, so the argument against is ridiculous. Going by similar logic, lowering your Mustang by an inch to match that of the GT500 should be frowned upon as well, because hey, having a nice stance is making you look like a poseur. Swapping to a grill without fog logs? Stop posing, bro!

In all seriousness. White cars tend to look best with black stripe(s), in my opinion. I could spend all day going on about how much I love the Super Snake stripes, if you hadn't noticed, by here is how it looks on a white 2010 PW GT. Fill in the blanks for differences in body panels, or heck, swap to them if you like them more!
I've considered the SuperSnake stripes, but I don't think it would look right with my front fascia. I would have to have a GT or GT500 fascia to pull it off, but I wouldn't want to be a "poser."

Thanks for the backup, the guy doesn't have a stang, but he wants to talk smack about posing. I guess since he doesn't have a stang and he is on a mustang forum he is posing as having one. Hahaha.
Old 8/24/10, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madden903
Wow, I guess if someone has a C-stripe they're posing (poser*, by the way) as a Boss, right?
And if you have any stripes at all you're posing as a 1964 mustang, right?

And let me guess, the 2011 GT500 SVT is posing as a Ford GT because it has thin stripes, right?

..Stripes mean nothing, Emblems do. Go get a Mustang before you try to talk crap.
I'm purchasing in January, I've been with Ford 23 years, have dealt with every car they make.

You asked for opinions. I gave you mine. If you don't like it GFY
Old 8/24/10, 10:56 PM
Banned

PS Learn the English language you inbred moron.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poseur
Old 8/24/10, 11:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I'm with OAC on this one. I like the look of stripes, but think that on a V6, going with a unique style that isn't on a current production vehicle is a better move. I like the Super Snake stripe, and Ford offers a similar variation through the OEM accessories.

Oh, and to the OP, you don't need to have a car to offer your opinion on the subject. Don't wanna hear negative feedback, then don't post a new thread.
Old 8/24/10, 11:30 PM

I'm purchasing in January, I've been with Ford 23 years, have dealt with every car they make.

You asked for opinions. I gave you mine. If you don't like it GFY
Oh, that's great, you still don't have one. Yet you have a picture of one. You must be posing.

Inbred moron? You're confusing Texas with Arkansas. Move to a real country before you judge someone by where they're from.
Old 8/24/10, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
Sorry, I'm with OAC on this one. I like the look of stripes, but think that on a V6, going with a unique style that isn't on a current production vehicle is a better move. I like the Super Snake stripe, and Ford offers a similar variation through the OEM accessories.

Oh, and to the OP, you don't need to have a car to offer your opinion on the subject. Don't wanna hear negative feedback, then don't post a new thread.
My friend has thin stripes on he's 2008 V6; looks sick.

I'm not saying anything about him posting his opinion. I'm talking about him being a poser. Or a "wannabe"

Last edited by madden903; 8/24/10 at 11:37 PM.
Old 8/24/10, 11:46 PM
Banned

My friend has thin stripes on he's 2008 V6; looks sick.

I'm not saying anything about him posting his opinion. I'm talking about him being a poser. Or a "wannabe"
No, being a poseur or a wannabe is putting racing stripes on my 2008 Ranger or my 2005 Focus ST, both of which can out-accelerate that 4.0 V6 dog you've got in your "sports car" lol.

Maybe when you grow up your wife will let you buy a big-boy car.
Old 8/24/10, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Overboost
I like the look of stripes, but think that on a V6, going with a unique style that isn't on a current production vehicle is a better move. I like the Super Snake stripe, and Ford offers a similar variation through the OEM accessories.
That's precisely what I meant, in the first place. If you're going to do it, don't copy a pattern on a "special run" car. But it's your car, do what you want.

And lastly:

If you want to see what your car can look like, go here:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/mustang/
And click on "Customizer"

It allows you to change colours and stripes on the car and other options. It's what I used to create my avatar that you seem to be hung up on. The car you see is spec'd out to what I'm ordering: a 2012 Kona Blue GT. or maybe the Boss, depending on what options you can get on it. We'll find out in November.

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 8/25/10 at 12:08 AM.
Old 8/25/10, 12:05 AM

No, being a poseur or a wannabe is putting racing stripes on my 2008 Ranger or my 2005 Focus ST, both of which can out-accelerate that 4.0 V6 dog you've got in your "sports car" lol.

Maybe when you grow up your wife will let you buy a big-boy car.
Funny you would say that. Ranger? Ha. Focus? And you're talking about me getting a big boy car?

I would really like to hear what you were driving at 16.

If I ever see you in the streets please spare me, especially if you're driving that Ranger of yours.

I'll tell you what, you keep drooling over "getting" a mustang, and I'm just going to let this go, i'll be the bigger man and walk away.
Old 8/25/10, 12:22 AM
GTR Member

Old 8/25/10, 12:22 AM
Banned

I would really like to hear what you were driving at 16. .
If you really want to know, when I was 16 I was driving my dad's '68 Cougar Eliminator (he was a supervisor at Ford) as I was rebuilding the engine for my 1972 Gran Torino Sport (like the one fro mthe movie, in Canary Yellow) that I got for a song because the engine was toast. Technically, I didn't have it on the road until I turned 17, but then again my dad didn't buy it for me, either. He felt things were better appreciated when it was earned.

LOL @ Overboost

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 8/25/10 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Just saw Overboost's post
Old 8/25/10, 12:31 AM

If you really want to know, when I was 16 I was driving my dad's '68 Cougar Eliminator (he was a supervisor at Ford) as I was rebuilding the engine for my 1972 Gran Torino Sport (like the one fro mthe movie, in Canary Yellow) that I got for a song because the engine was toast. Technically, I didn't have it on the road until I turned 17, but then again my dad didn't buy it for me, either. He felt things were better appreciated when it was earned.

LOL @ Overboost
Yawn. Cool story. Have a great life.
Old 8/25/10, 12:35 AM
Banned

Yawn. Cool story. Have a great life.
You too. Make sure you thank daddy for the car!
Old 8/25/10, 12:39 AM
GTR Member

I would really like to hear what you were driving at 16.
You did ask him, and he told you. I do have to say, if you're not buying the car, you just don't appreciate it quite the same as if you've put some blood, sweat, and tears into it.

I thought about it some more, I'd put some black vinyl on the power dome portion of the hood, and between the taillights. Simple, but unique enough to get attention.
Old 8/25/10, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
...Move to a real country before you judge someone by where they're from.
Is this the place where I jump in with one of my old Hamilton jokes? (I grew up in Toronto) Nah... I'll leave it alone.
Old 8/25/10, 02:47 PM

You too. Make sure you thank daddy for the car!
Was that supposed to offend me?

Quick Reply: What color stripes and How wide?