Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Stripe material and placement questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/14, 04:10 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Stripe material and placement questions

Just got a black w/charcoal black & cashmere 401A convertible.

I'm thinking about Sterling Gray (or a even a bit darker 8" double stripes over the top. No rockers though. I don't want "in your face"...subtle is key.

Whats the consensus on material? How does the a/m vinyl hold up? Any recommendations on brand?

How 'bout painted stripes? (big bucks, I know)

What's your opinion on striping (or not) the windshield header? I was thinking just the nose, hood, skipping the w/s, and continuing down the trunk/spoiler, and rear cover.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks

Tom
Attached Images  
Old 5/26/14, 04:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
IMO, painting is the way to go. Vinyl looks awful up close, tends to fade (especially with cheap vinyl) and never holds up well on the road.

I think the optimal method is to paint the stripes then clear the whole panel. Obviously that's more expensive...but I think it's the best. I was quoted about $1000 for such work on mine. Not too bad IMO, considering vinyl stripes will often set you back about half that, especially if they are professionally installed.
Old 5/27/14, 05:21 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 948 Likes on 576 Posts
If this is a new car that will be kept for many years, PAINT!! The only exception would be dealer installed factory striping.
Old 5/27/14, 05:40 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Thanks to both of you for reinforcing what I think I already knew.

I spent a lot of time yesterday surfing the forum for pics of 'verts with stripes, and I'm going to leave the windshield header untouched. That area is too narrow, and with the top up it'd disrupt the flow of the stripes. Nose, hood, deck, spoiler and tail....that's it.

And a great point was made about keeping it for a long time. This is my first Mustang, first muscle car, and at age 62, likely to be my last. I don't know if I'd ever be able to do this again, so whatever I'm going to do, it should be done right.

Tom

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 5/27/14 at 05:45 AM.