'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Spyshot of the new 2010-2012 Steeda Hood w/ functional vents

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/11 | 03:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sorry Guys, I was tied up all day, hopefully the website and the members have answered most of your questions.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks
TJ
Old 12/13/11 | 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The flow through the radiator is mostly effected by the grill. The vents won't effect engine temp (CHT) much but will allow heat under the hood to escape The Tiger Racing hood significantly reduces lift which increases downforce. It does help with heat dissapation but that's not it's main function.
I would think that if there is a way for built up pressue to be released from under the hood, flow through the radiator should increase due to less back-pressure and that decrease in pressure in the engine bay will also decrease the front end lift. Same goes for vents in the wheel wells, decreasing the pressure drag there increases cooling and top speed of the car (granted our cars are governed). Looking at how far forward the vents are tho you are probably right that the radiator flow wouldn't increase much. That being said it looks to be in front of the engine too so cooling flow over the engine doesn't look to be extracted either, maybe just a little ambient heat? Still curious as to how effective this is. Ill be adding the boss oil cooler this spring for track season cuz this car does run verrryyyy hot based on the temp given when I start it in engineering mode and want to remove some of the upper grill that is blocked in. Need to get some gauges also. Just trying to learn, if I buy something I research it to death lol I'm crazy I know

Last edited by mtnbikefuel80; 12/13/11 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12/13/11 | 06:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Just trying to learn, if I buy something I research it to death lol I'm crazy I know
You are not alone.
Old 12/13/11 | 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

Smile

Are there two variations of this hood ? In the last picture of this thread, the vents appear near the front of the hood. In all the previous pictures, the vents appear at midpoint in the hood. Regardless of where the vents are, I think the new hood is very stylish and I would buy one over any hood currently on the market. I also like the height of the hood, perfect ! !
Old 12/14/11 | 10:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

No they are in the same position. Just one of the photos was taken with a cell phone and the others were taken with a better camera at different angles.

This hood will vent some under hood pressure and of course heat, it is no where near as effective as another hood on the market, and it was not meant to be.

It does an adequate job for street use, and it is better than stock for the driver that does an occasional track event. It has function, but it is was not designed to be extreme.

Its primarily function is looks with the added benefit of reducing some heat. You get the best of both worlds but more looks over extreme functionality.

Last edited by tj@steeda; 12/14/11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12/14/11 | 12:31 PM
GTR Member

Looks good TJ. Nice work.
Old 12/14/11 | 02:58 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

do you need hood pins with this hood?

Is it AL or FG?

I am very interested

do you have any pictures with it all painted one color to share?!
Old 12/14/11 | 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another question I thought about....is this hood a traditional "Cowl" style where it releases air from behind the "powerDome" at the windshield...or are the only air vents the ones we see on the sides?
Old 12/15/11 | 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, air flows IN to the engine bay from the back of a cowl-hood. Right at the base of the windshield is a high-pressure region where the air over the hood meets the windshield.
Old 12/15/11 | 08:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Actually, air flows IN to the engine bay from the back of a cowl-hood. Right at the base of the windshield is a high-pressure region where the air over the hood meets the windshield.
This.

Hence why it's called a Cowl Induction Hood.
Old 12/15/11 | 09:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Meant to chime in earlier but I'm going to be the naysayer here. I think the hood looks awful. Even if functional I can't get over the looks. What I WOULD like to see is a hood like the 2013 GT hood. I love the look of that hood.
Old 12/15/11 | 10:22 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
What I WOULD like to see is a hood like the 2013 GT hood. I love the look of that hood.
+1
Old 12/15/11 | 12:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The hood is Fiberglass. Hood pins are not required. No pictures painted one color at this time.

The hood is also open in the back where the rise is at the cowl, so it moves air both our the front vents and through the rear cowl.

We have had great feedback on the hood and thanks for the orders thus far!

Thanks

TJ
Old 12/15/11 | 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The hood is also open in the back where the rise is at the cowl, so it moves air both our the front vents and through the rear cowl.
Somehow i see this as hurting instead of helping. I have a feeling it doesnt move as much air as it appears to.

Any wind tunnel+smoke testing to see how air is really being moved? That would be the only way to see how much air is extracted through the vents, and inducted via the cowl induction.
Old 12/15/11 | 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
What I WOULD like to see is a hood like the 2013 GT hood. I love the look of that hood.
+2. That's why I was hoping the cowl wasn't raised any and asked if the vents were slotted or raked lol
Old 12/15/11 | 01:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't like it, it's not my style, but it looks pretty good. It's not a bad hood.
Old 12/16/11 | 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Although generally a fan of Steeda products, I don't like this hood. The vents are fine but the gigantic power dome makes it look cartoonish.
Old 12/16/11 | 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Somehow i see this as hurting instead of helping. I have a feeling it doesnt move as much air as it appears to.

Any wind tunnel+smoke testing to see how air is really being moved? That would be the only way to see how much air is extracted through the vents, and inducted via the cowl induction.

I agree the cowl would be better off closed when moving it will release heat when standing still like at a drag race. I think the hood looks fine and they make vented hood with a larger vent and no dome. But the dome can be useful for someone needing more hood room for a tall supercharger install.
Old 12/16/11 | 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Dang :/ woulda been nice if was stock profile. Just my opinion tho. Also the vent holes seem really far forward and not that large, wonder how much the flow through the radiator actually increases?...
We offer this hood for those that want a stock like profile: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-q-series-hood.html

Old 12/16/11 | 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

Not really, the airflow characteristics are completely different in the 2 different areas, and you are taking advantage of both. Although the function of the front vents is limited due to their size. This hood was meant more for looks than function, but some function does exist.

The rear cowl works just like someone else described a few posts up. Air flows IN to the engine bay from the back of a cowl-hood. Right at the base of the windshield is a high-pressure region where the air over the hood meets the windshield.

Air from the front vents is lower in pressure compared to what is underneath so air is allowed to flow out the vents from underneath.

This is why the GT500 has a vent across the middle of the hood in a similar front location, to flow air from the inside, out.

The air coming in through the back does not force its way up front and block the airflow there, it all works just fine.

Besides computer airflow modeling validating the real world airflow is easy. You put some streamers on the back of the cowl and just go for a drive, as soon as you start passing 50 miles per hour or so you will see the streamers start showing the airflow into the cowl. Piece of cake.

Quick Reply: Spyshot of the new 2010-2012 Steeda Hood w/ functional vents