Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

S197 + "mesh-style" wheels...overdone?

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/15, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S197 + "mesh-style" wheels...overdone?

BEWARE.

I realize this question is highly volatile, but is the mesh style wheel overdone on the S197? AMR's, SVE Drift's, RTR's, AG M310's, Forgestar F14's, HRE Flowform....all very close variations on the same thing. I know people will argue the merits of the more expensive variations, but this question is strictly style related, since 90% of people from 20 feet away won't be able to tell the difference between a $150 AMR, $300 AG, or $500 Forgestar.

I've been looking at wheels more lately, planning for the future, and I keep getting drawn in when I click on a website, see a mesh wheel and think "ooooh". But then I realize, that style is everywhere.

So, price/brand/quality aside, is the mesh style overdone on our cars, or is there a reason they're so popular (IE they look **** good)? What look do you like? Show me something different.
Old 1/31/15, 07:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I've been experiencing a similar angst. My Boss 302S wheels on my Black GT 'vert got chewed up by curbs and once cruise and show season resumes, they'll drive me nuts. The machined aluminum edges took the hits and it's not cheap to have them resurfaced. I got them fairly inexpensively and repairing them will cost almost as much as just replacing them.

I've been dreaming of Shelby CS40's, but that means stepping up to 20" rolling stock and that's just not financially sane. Unfortunately choices are fewer for 19" wheels.

I wasn't fond of dark wheels on a black car at first, but lately I'm really digging the mesh style in grey/titanium/charcoal for my Mustang. After seeing so many here on the forum and on the street in that combo, I've changed my mind completely. I've noticed that darker wheels that slightly contrast with body color makes a Mustang look lower than with bright wheels, and give our cars a very aggressive appearance.

Yes, the mesh style is very common, but that's because they really do look great on Mustangs IMHO. And because they're painted, repairs are much less expensive.

I've wrestled with the desire to want my wheels to be different than everyone else's, but I'm going to do what looks right for my car, and the mesh style has been really getting my attention.

Back in the 60's, almost every muscle car on the road was sporting a set of Cragar SS's. It was the wheel of choice because they looked great on just about everything, and many of those cars still wear them today. Playing "follow the leader" isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'd suggest doing some photoshopping, or re-creating your exact car on the Ford Mustang Customizer and try some different style wheels.

Choose wisely, but select what you like, even if that means getting a more common style of wheel.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 1/31/15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 1/31/15, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I don't consider F14s mesh wheels. They're twin 7-spoke. Everything else are a 7-spoke mesh wheel, and I agree. Still, when I was shopping for wheels, I woulda picked up a set of Drifts for $425 shipped on Black Friday!!! I was looking for 19s to reuse my stock tires and to eventually use as my "winter" wheels.

That said, I have all kinds of different wheels picked out for this car. I like the CS40s too, though if you look at the design, they're almost a 5-spoke version of the RTRs with a lip. I like the CS69s and CS70s and CS1s too, but I also like some of the more classic American Racing wheels.

I think it depends on whether you're going after a classic look or a modern look. There's tons of choices out there. Don't be afraid to be different either. There's only one other Mustang on these black chrome Niches, and it's a GT500 with the staggered 20s, so I'm the only one that I've seen with the 19" square set...
Old 1/31/15, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I really like the mesh look of the wheels you mentioned. I think they look great on our cars.

Yes there are a lot of enthusiasts with that style wheel, but how many do you see where you live, and drive that have them? If you show your car you will probably see more, but when I'm driving, I check out the other stangs and I see very few.

I'm looking for new wheels for spring! I like those AG 310's and a couple others of theirs, and playing around with the idea of a custom color from them. Plus my better half put me on a budget lol, so HSE's are out.

I'm also liking the new TSW Bathurst wheel.

If you have the coin check out CCW. OMG they are beautiful. Talk about your wheel ****!
Old 1/31/15, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
All you need to do is ask yourself:

Is this what I want? Is this the look I prefer? Will I regret it later?

If the answers are Yes, Yes, and No, then you don't need to be angsty any further.

It is your car. No one else's. If that's what you want, then you do it. For you. Everyone else can take a hike.

And even if there's a lot of people who do it... so what? Making a decision based on trying to avoid everyone else, but you wind up less happy, is not the way to go through life, really.

Get the wheels, if that's what ya want, and don't worry about their 'everywhere' status. Do you like 'em? Great! That's the wheel you buy!
Old 1/31/15, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm tired of seeing stock wheels on everyone's mustang. Want to talk about played out. Way less out there with mesh or any other aftermarket design.

The mesh looks good. There's a reason why everyone has them. But none of the wheels are going to be unique either. These are all mass manufactured so unless you have an original design someone else is going to have them too.
Old 1/31/15, 09:48 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I felt the same way-- which is why I went with a different forgestar than normally seen on mustangs.

Boom. F14 in bronze burst.
Attached Thumbnails S197 + "mesh-style" wheels...overdone?-image.jpg  
Old 2/1/15, 07:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome wheels. My favorites are the BBS 302R/S racing wheels. 18x10 squared but they aren't for street use and are $600 plus per wheel.
Old 2/1/15, 11:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's Pascal's car on TSW Interlagos (right??)
Attached Thumbnails S197 + "mesh-style" wheels...overdone?-image-947978766.jpg  
Old 2/2/15, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Here's Pascal's car on TSW Interlagos (right??)
no, mine are TSW Nurburgring.
Old 2/2/15, 11:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Plim
no, mine are TSW Nurburgring.
Ah oops haha!
Old 2/20/15, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
BEWARE.

I realize this question is highly volatile, but is the mesh style wheel overdone on the S197? AMR's, SVE Drift's, RTR's, AG M310's, Forgestar F14's, HRE Flowform....all very close variations on the same thing. I know people will argue the merits of the more expensive variations, but this question is strictly style related, since 90% of people from 20 feet away won't be able to tell the difference between a $150 AMR, $300 AG, or $500 Forgestar.

I've been looking at wheels more lately, planning for the future, and I keep getting drawn in when I click on a website, see a mesh wheel and think "ooooh". But then I realize, that style is everywhere.

So, price/brand/quality aside, is the mesh style overdone on our cars, or is there a reason they're so popular (IE they look **** good)? What look do you like? Show me something different.

You really shouldn't call it mesh style. It's actually BBS wheels style. Everyone is just ripping off their originally design but doing it cheaper and sometimes better but without the high BBS price tag.
Old 2/20/15, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rs999
You really shouldn't call it mesh style. It's actually BBS wheels style. Everyone is just ripping off their originally design but doing it cheaper and sometimes better but without the high BBS price tag.
BBS is a brand. Mesh is the style. Therefore, mesh-style.
Old 2/20/15, 11:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I think this is the mesh 'era', like how cragar style wheels were uber popular on muscle cars years ago (still are kind of).
When i saw the ford racing rims i bought, i thought they were the most natural looking wheel for my car.
When you google 'mesh wheels' you get quite a selection LOL
Old 2/21/15, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would definitely agree with that statement. I see lots of different wheels like like, but then I see an S197 with AMR's or SVE Drifts or something and start drooling...even though they're everywhere. It's probably the direction I'll end up going, just trying to talk myself out of it. Not going well.
Old 2/21/15, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
The Mesh is a seducing wheel style. I'd say go for it, or go for a similar style like the "split 5 spoke" design (AG M510).
Old 2/22/15, 12:25 PM
V6 Member

I know a lot of folks have them...I went back and forth on wheels for almost a year before going with my RTRs and I don't regret it one bit. This style looks so good on our Mustangs, I think that's why they're so popular.