Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Rear Decklid Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/15, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am striping my car next week. Considering removing decklid panel and coming all the way down with stripes. I know it is only 3M tape, but what can I expect upon removal? The car stays covered, low miles, and is clean, im just not sure if there will be a lot of tacky sticky tape mess there that cant be recovered. What should I expect? I have the same question for AM aftermarket tail light surrounds, I need to remove them to tint. What is the best process, hair dryer and plastic pry tools? I guess the biggest question is how easily does it clean up?I may have someone remove it for me, because Im like a bull in a china closet. I searched for a thread and could not find it, if you know of one just point me to it. Thanks in advance for the help, im still new to the site and am trying to learn my way around.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Decklid Panel Removal-image.jpg  
Old 6/12/15, 11:43 AM
GT Member

Nothing but crickets on this one. I think I have it all worked out. Will share some before and afters in a couple weeks.
Old 6/12/15, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I was hopin' others would chime in...

The trunk is painted and then that panel put on. So when you remove it, just be careful. You might wanna invest in fishing line as a cutting device to get the panel off first, then maybe an emblem tape eraser, or goo gone, or whatever to get the remainder of the tape off.

You *should* be left with a clean painted surface on the trunk.

I might be inclined to open the trunk, then use some sort of prop to keep it from closing all the way so I could use the fishing line better than with it closed or all the way open.

Patience is key. Trying to rip that off might get you removed paint, which isn't ideal. Take your time... the patience will be rewarded.

Good dang luck to ya.
Old 6/13/15, 04:54 AM
GT Member

A lot of people looked at this post, but kept moving. Thanks for the support and advice houtex. I am going to go the fishing line route. I have enlisted a buddy to help on this one, mostly to help maintain my patience. I could wrench the sh@@ out of some stuff in the 70s and 80s. Everything now is plastic and clips, not how I cut my teeth.
Old 6/13/15, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The Internet is a wonderful thing and all you need to do is search.
Instructions are at the bottom of the page.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/productdetails?entryid=48888
Old 6/13/15, 07:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It is a wonderful thing, and even better when the links can be clicked!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/produc...?entryid=48888

Except even then, it's broken, doesn't go anywhere, man.

However, through the amazing internet, and a good google search, and a guess or two... I think this is where you meant to send him.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/cdc-rear-panel-2010.html

And there's a video at the bottom that shows how to take it off/put it on.

Internet rocks!

---

But... I must admit, it doesn't say how to take off the ENTIRE panel, just the faux gas cap emblem. Still, it does give ya good advice for the removal of the emblem, and that's applicable to the panel.

Rock on, people. Rock on indeed.

Last edited by houtex; 6/13/15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 6/13/15, 07:01 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys. I had seen that video, just wasnt sure how it related to the panel. I used a blow dryer (even though it was 100 degrees today) and started all four corners with fishing wire. After I got them going I used some plastic pry tools to keep the corners up. Then I used the dryer and a plastic tool to slowly seperate top and bottom. It was messy underneath, but I took my time and everything removed nicely. I thought it would lift over the emblem, it did not, it was all one piece. I know the original owner ordered it from ford with that panel. Thank you guys for the help. For some reason I can only upload one photo at a time right now.
Old 6/13/15, 07:02 PM
GT Member

The mess.
Old 6/13/15, 07:03 PM
GT Member

Clean. Need to get a new badge though.

Last edited by HMR-TYM; 6/13/15 at 07:04 PM.
Old 6/14/15, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Huh. I didn't know it was integrated to the panel. Very interesting, that. Makes some sort of sense though.

That's a great collage of it! I would have thought that panel from the factory would have been *covered* in the stickyback tape. Just the tops and bottoms, and the clips for the emblem.

Thanks for the update, and glad it's all good and cleaned up, and came off nicely!
Old 6/14/15, 06:59 PM
GT Member

I looked it up after the fact. Performance package on the 12 from ford comes with it all as one piece. Had to look it up, because ofcourse now, I have to buy that rear deck emblem as solo. So anyone looking to do this, if it is stock you are in for another $130. To follow up, those tail light surrounds came off easy. Just know you can work from inside out on those, no need to go in on the paint side. I taped the first one off before realizing this. On those there is also 3M tape on the verticals, so dont just do the outside and go to yank it. They came off and went back on easily. WITH PATIENCE. I just posted this on another thread, but here is where I started Fri and here is where I am Sunday. Matte Black Super Snake stripes on deck, and I am going to have a guy customize my decklid emblem when it comes in. Maybe next Sunday ill be complete.

Last edited by HMR-TYM; 6/21/15 at 07:19 PM.
Old 6/14/15, 07:02 PM
GT Member

Thanks for hanging in with me on this one houtex.
Old 6/14/15, 07:10 PM
GT Member

I know we all love our stangs the way we do and want them. I was going to do a rear emblem delete with a new panel, until my buddy Matt said "who the F covers American Metal with Japenese Plastic". Dude made me laugh, and also changed my approach.
Old 6/14/15, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Here is the inside of the OEM panel, just incase it can help someone down the line.
Old 6/21/15, 07:17 PM
GT Member

Here is the end result. Thanks all for the help.
Old 6/22/15, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
just a question....first off, I dont think thats the end results. Somehow I think its the beginning for the next MOD...Lol
Back to my question. Is it the angle of the picture? Why do the rear stripes not line up on the deck lid / spoiler.
Also have you ever thought about a thin red pin stripe on the edges. Or would that be just to much to see.

Very Nice Job!!!
Old 6/22/15, 02:07 PM
GT Member

^^^^ Thanks Boss Man. Yes, it was the beginning of what to do with that deck emblem. Im not there on the red yet, but who knows, I may be there tomorrow. That angle did tweak things a bit. The stripes run over the spoiler as well as under. At normal level they match up fine.
Has anyone ever seen stripes run down the louvers? Ha, now we may be getting into "too much".
I like the way this all turned out. I bought myself a whole new detailing chore though.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Decklid Panel Removal-stripes2.jpg  
Old 6/22/15, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Excellent job. In for picture if you do stripes and louvers. Please keep the mustang junkies satified.
Again...you did a great job.
Now give me more :-)

Please keep us posted.
Old 7/2/15, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Here you go boss man. It was tricky, i had a girl at a sign shop do it for me. She nailed it.
Old 7/2/15, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

****, I'm impressed. With the idea in text it sounded terrible to me, but now seeing it done it's pretty awesome.

Quick Reply: Rear Decklid Panel Removal