Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Possible to upgrade tire size + rims (non brembo pkg)

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/11, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible to upgrade tire size + rims (non brembo pkg)

So I have a GT/CS so I don't have the Brembo package. But eventually I think I'd like to put some heftier meat there and doing so I don't think i'll be able to stick with the stock rims. But I was wondering since i'm new to all of this if it's possible to fit wider tires/rims (and bigger diameter) under there on mustangs w/o the Brembo package.
Old 5/31/11, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackbird.
So I have a GT/CS so I don't have the Brembo package. But eventually I think I'd like to put some heftier meat there and doing so I don't think i'll be able to stick with the stock rims. But I was wondering since i'm new to all of this if it's possible to fit wider tires/rims (and bigger diameter) under there on mustangs w/o the Brembo package.
I'm not exactly sure what your asking here so I'll answer what i think and you can clarify if I dont answer the right question.

Yes you can fit larger diameter wheels and wider wheels on all versions of the 2010+ mustangs. The universal opinion is 20 inches is as large of a diameter as you would want for best looks/fitment. 10 inches wide (in the rear) is about as wide as you would want to go as well. If you are looking at all 4 wheels the same width then 9.5 inches looks awesome.

Some guys like myself run a staggered setup with 8.5 or 9 inch wide in the front and 10 inches wide in the rear. Of course you lose the ability to rotate with this setup but it looks like pure sex! But you could run a semi-staggered setup with the 9.5 inch wide wheels by staggering the tires as well. Example, 265 series tires in front and 285 series in the rear. You still lose the ability to rotate though.

But based on everything you said in the original post if you plan on getting a brembo brake type setup later I would make sure that you get wheels that will clear a big brake package. And bigger wheels doesnt always mean they will clear. I have Foose Nitrous 20's and they barely clear the regular brakes on my 2011. There is no way they would clear Brembos.

Hope this helps!
Old 6/1/11, 02:40 AM
Bullitt Member

That does help, thanks for the information!
Old 6/1/11, 02:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Those mustangs look just hot staggered. And didn't I read in a thread here or perhaps I read it somewhere else but it was a knowledgeable racer,perhaps Sam strano,but don't quote me as I am unsure. Any way her went into detail into why it needs staggered and proved on the track that it handled better. I think you should do it on looks alone cause man that's hot and if you get the bonus of better handling then rock on. When your rim shopping make sure you can find tires. Some sizes are a pita to get. Awesome ride man
Old 6/1/11, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm going with 9.5" RTR's with 275/40/19's all around.
Old 6/7/11, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Good info, thanks, everyone.
Thanks Blackbird for starting the thread.

I thought I read somewhere that the Brembo pkg Mustangs have some sort of steering stop that keeps the wheels from rubbing the fenders.
..or something like that.
I have a non Brembo car as well, and I'm still torn between staggered Bullitts from American Muscle, GT500 take offs, or even the "base" Boss wheels.

I'm glad to hear that the staggered actually helps handling, because that's the way I'm leaning.
Old 6/7/11, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well i dont know about handling but take off is way better. More meat equals more push! I would love to see a set of 20x9.5's on my car with my tires. I think i would like that more than what I have now. Not saying I dont like the Foose Nitrous i just think i can achieve the staggered look with my tires instead. Luckly for me i dont have alot invested in my rims so I wouldnt lose anything to sell them if i wanted to.
Old 6/7/11, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
I'm going with 9.5" RTR's with 275/40/19's all around.
Superb choice! I little out of my price range at the moment but still they look awesome on these cars!