Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Plasti-Dip Graphics?

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/13, 09:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plasti-Dip Graphics?

I know this isn't a brand new idea, I have seen some video's of people doing this all ready. Question is has anyone on here substituted plasti-dip in place of vinyl such as on stripes, hash marks, etc and had good results? If you have to tape off straight lines etc to place the stripes for example, you could in theory go a couple steps further to mask off around the area and just spray on the graphics without much trouble. Again in theory spraying on stripes etc would be easier than applying vinyl stripes, and possibly cheaper (if you were going to pay someone to install them etc).

If you wanted you could take it a step further and use stencils and customize your stripes and other graphics. Could be something as simple as laying down a "pony" cut out and spraying it on, or laying down letters in stripes to mask off words/numbers in your stripes (so the word/numbers would come out the color of the car). Or you could go crazy and start layering colors etc. And all these graphics would be easily removable if you didn't like them down the road. Basically taking the idea of plasti-diping emblems/trim pieces to the next level of creating graphics/emblems.

Any thoughts?
Old 8/11/13, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from my experience with it you have to have a very steady hand in order to keep it from coming out rough textured. It's hard to remove the tape with out peeling the dip. vinyl would be easier to do graphics with because getting plasti dip even and without peeling would take longer than installing custom vinyl. plasti dip would be cheaper though
Old 8/11/13, 11:54 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dreday23
from my experience with it you have to have a very steady hand in order to keep it from coming out rough textured. It's hard to remove the tape with out peeling the dip. vinyl would be easier to do graphics with because getting plasti dip even and without peeling would take longer than installing custom vinyl. plasti dip would be cheaper though
Once you get the technique down plastidip goes on great. I did my grille surround and it smooth and clean. I need to re-do my wing though. If the can is too close then it creats that rough texture. The further away it is the better it disperses
Old 8/12/13, 03:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing I would say concerning using plastidip for just graphics, is that while it won't damage your paint, the paint around the rest of the car will fade(typical and normal sun damage over time), while the paint under the graphics won't(because its protected under the dip).

I would highly suggest dipping the whole car before doing graphics.