'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Need some opinions on some RTR and Wheels Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/13 | 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Need some opinions on some RTR and Wheels Stuff

Hey everyone. Looking for a few opinions/input on some ideas I've had and also I had a question regarding wheels/tires.

I have a 2012 Race Red GT and I have the decklid blackout panel on the back and I've been looking at adding the RTR black aluminum spoiler. I've been trying to find a picture of it on an otherwise stock car, especially in race red and I can't seem to find any pictures of that.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether or not that would look even halfway decent on a car that has no other exterior mods other than a blackout panel. I'd like to eventually add a front splitter/chin spoiler as well. Also with that, I feel like if the car isn't lowered, that splitter just kind of sits up in the air too much and looks odd. I guess where I'm hung up here is the black spoiler and splitter look on a car with non-black wheels, that isn't lowered. I like black wheels on black cars and white cars, and on red Boss Mustangs where there is a lot of black vinyl, but I don't want to put any vinyl on mine and was looking into either chrome or maybe charcoal wheels. Anything but black. I currently have the stock 18" painted aluminum 5 spoke wheels which brings me to my next question. The stock Pirelli's are 235/50ZR/18 I believe and I'm assuming that an 18x8 wheel is what those stock tires would fit, if I decided to order a set of 4 to just change out the wheels. Just want to confirm that I'm correct on that so I can just switch out wheels and keep the tires I currently have.

Basically since I don't want Black wheels, I'm wondering if I shoud just forego the black spoiler and splitter and use the money on a set of 4 chrome wheels and maybe switch out my muffler delete for a Roush Exhaust or Flowmaster Outlaws.
Old 7/19/13 | 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's an idea. This was before it was lowered.
Attached Thumbnails Need some opinions on some RTR and Wheels Stuff-image-811675709.jpg  
Old 7/19/13 | 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Mikey. Those Black wheels actually look nice. I take back that I don't like black wheels on Race Red lol. That looks good and it definitely fits in there. I notice that your rocker panels are painted. I like how that looks way better than the cheap plastic crap they put on from the factory. I had a silver 07 GT before this and it had painted rocker panels and it looks way better and I think thats what makes the black wheels look especially good on this color. The black spoiler looks fine on a pretty stock exterior. Finally a good picture of it.
Old 7/19/13 | 02:50 PM
Former Vendor

The RTR wheels look good on any color IMO

-Nick C.
Old 7/19/13 | 04:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I love red with black accents and silver or chrome wheels. Black wheels with all black accents just don't have enough contrast for me, however on some cars the look great. If I had red though, I would put blackout panel, black spoiler of some kind, black grille, maybe black stripes and then silver or chrome wheels to break it all up.
Old 7/19/13 | 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I know I'm the one who has to like it since its my car but I just want to avoid having it look silly. I definitely appreciate the opinions.
Old 7/22/13 | 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Get the RTR spoiler and silver RTR wheels then?
Old 7/22/13 | 12:02 PM
GT Member

Here's a little more inspiration.

Need some opinions on some RTR and Wheels Stuff-image-3642943620.jpg

Need some opinions on some RTR and Wheels Stuff-image-222925359.jpg

I do plan to get the RTR spoiler but I'm gonna hold out with my fingers crossed for a price drop once the '15 comes out. I know it's a fat chance but I can hope can't I? Lol, it's just so expensive for something that's purely visual.
Old 7/22/13 | 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PrimerEcho
Here's a little more inspiration.

I do plan to get the RTR spoiler but I'm gonna hold out with my fingers crossed for a price drop once the '15 comes out. I know it's a fat chance but I can hope can't I? Lol, it's just so expensive for something that's purely visual.
Looks awesome! I like the look. You're right though its expensive for something purely cosmetic. I have either some exterior stuff on my build list for now, or on the flip side, Longtubes, OR X-pipe and a tune on my list. It's going to be one or the other. I'm leaning towards the performance end just because ill gain something other than looks.
Old 7/22/13 | 01:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by flynavy

Looks awesome! I like the look. You're right though its expensive for something purely cosmetic. I have either some exterior stuff on my build list for now, or on the flip side, Longtubes, OR X-pipe and a tune on my list. It's going to be one or the other. I'm leaning towards the performance end just because ill gain something other than looks.
Lol, same here! I'm highly contemplating getting a set of JPC LT's instead of the RTR spoiler. The header cost twice as much so I figured I'd get them out of the way now. I'm kinda excited to see how my car will sound with the LT's deleted cats and stock H pipe all the way back.
Old 7/22/13 | 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Lol, same here! I'm highly contemplating getting a set of JPC LT's instead of the RTR spoiler. The header cost twice as much so I figured I'd get them out of the way now. I'm kinda excited to see how my car will sound with the LT's deleted cats and stock H pipe all the way back.
Lol! I want LT's so bad. I'm just not sure I have the guts to try and install them myself or with a buddy. I know I can do it, I just don't want to screw anything up. I'm always nervous about that. Trying to get a gauge on install prices in my area as well
Old 7/22/13 | 04:25 PM
Former Vendor

Lol! I want LT's so bad. I'm just not sure I have the guts to try and install them myself or with a buddy. I know I can do it, I just don't want to screw anything up. I'm always nervous about that. Trying to get a gauge on install prices in my area as well
The installation is a pretty big PITA, especially if you don't have access to a lift, but my LT's put a smile on my face everytime I drive.

I'd keep an eye on eBay, I'm sure some RTR stuff will pop up eventually

-Nick C.
Old 7/22/13 | 06:12 PM
GT Member

Nah man, you can do it. It doesn't require any specialty tools and the benefits are worth the cost when you do it yourself and save the labor cost for your RTR spoiler.

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics

The installation is a pretty big PITA, especially if you don't have access to a lift, but my LT's put a smile on my face everytime I drive.

I'd keep an eye on eBay, I'm sure some RTR stuff will pop up eventually

-Nick C.
I'm always prowling eBay for a quick deal! I recently picked up a case of Royal Purple for $82 bucks on eBay. Freakin sweet.
Old 7/23/13 | 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Nah man, you can do it. It doesn't require any specialty tools and the benefits are worth the cost when you do it yourself and save the labor cost for your RTR spoiler.

I'm always prowling eBay for a quick deal! I recently picked up a case of Royal Purple for $82 bucks on eBay. Freakin sweet.
Yeah that's true. I'm trying to talk myself into doing it. I love the sound and the potential gains and if I do it myself the cost to HP ratio makes sense. If I pay more to get headers installed than the parts themselves, the ratio kind of doesnt.