Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

MMD Decklid Panel for the 13-14

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/14, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Lakeguy, this past Saturday I was going to install the MMD but chickened outnot really understanding how much pressure you have to put on the clips to popit off. According the instructions I need to use a plastic putty knife to getunder it to pry it. Any insight on the install? Thanks.
I have it installed. It's ok to use a little force. Once you get started on one end, just slide the putty knife across the length of the decklid panel popping them out as you go. Once you get it going, it's pretty easy. You can slide the putty knife right down to where the clips are to put pressure right where you need to. When you get to taking the retaining clips off of the back of the emblem, that will take a little time and patience as you work the clips up and off their posts. Let us know how you make out and post a pic!

Name:  decklid002.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  169.6 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
decklid002.jpg (169.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 6/30/14, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

It does take quite a bit of pressure to pull them off, but once you get them off at one end it gets easier the further along you go. You have to try pretty hard to damage anything once you get the first couple pulled off, so don't be scared to put your back into it.

One thing I would advise, when installing the new panel, don't pull off the tape backing right away. Undo the ends and fold them over so they stick out when the panel is in place. Then position it, put the screws in partway, then pull the backings off when its positioned perfectly.
Old 7/1/14, 05:58 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Thanks, guys. I'll be giving it a shot this Thursday when I start my vacation. I'll post pics.
Old 7/1/14, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good luck!

I'm now using my original decklid panel to practice my polishing technique before I tackle my car. The dealer was kind enough to brand my car on the decklid panel so in addition to the MMD panel removing that, I can even practice safe sticky-crap removal. It truly is a win-win!
Old 7/1/14, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Good luck!

I'm now using my original decklid panel to practice my polishing technique before I tackle my car. The dealer was kind enough to brand my car on the decklid panel so in addition to the MMD panel removing that, I can even practice safe sticky-crap removal. It truly is a win-win!
I despise dealers slapping their logo on our cars. Thank God the dealer I got my car from wasn't stupid enough to put one on mine.
Old 7/1/14, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustangfan410
I despise dealers slapping their logo on our cars. Thank God the dealer I got my car from wasn't stupid enough to put one on mine.
I was going to ask them not to, but in the excitement of the "It's here" series of calls, I forgot to make that request. I lucked in that they slapped it on a part I was pulling off right away anyways.
Old 7/2/14, 05:52 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I remember the days when some dealers would have their logo drilled right into the back of the car.

I lucked out and the only thing my dealer got on my car is there name on my rear plate frame. Soon to be replaced!
Old 7/2/14, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I remember the days when some dealers would have their logo drilled right into the back of the car.

I lucked out and the only thing my dealer got on my car is there name on my rear plate frame. Soon to be replaced!
I have no problem with plate frames, that can be taken off very easily. But yeah I remember the drilled dealer tags, that was brutal.
Old 7/8/14, 03:31 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ok I'll say it first, I'm an idiot. Now that I spared you guys the trouble, where is the best place to buy a faux gas cap replacement? Dealer? If you want to hear the comedy of errors please let me know.
Old 7/8/14, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok I'll say it first, I'm an idiot. Now that I spared you guys the trouble, where is the best place to buy a faux gas cap replacement? Dealer? If you want to hear the comedy of errors please let me know.
I would try a dealer and Ebay. You might get it quicker if you find one on Ebay. Don't sweat it. I fumbled my way through several mods and continue to.
Old 7/9/14, 03:55 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by cdiaz1069
I would try a dealer and Ebay. You might get it quicker if you find one on Ebay. Don't sweat it. I fumbled my way through several mods and continue to.
Thanks. I had an eBay emblem come yesterday and it's for the wrong year. It's a local dealer as well. I need to return it and hit another dealer today. I love modding especially the visual stuff but this is the chance you take. There's always the possibility of screwing something up.
Old 7/10/14, 09:10 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Ugh!!! The dealer wants $400 for the piece because they only sell it already attached to the original deck lid cover. *sigh*

They sell the California Special emblem separately.

Looks like I paint and 3M the original into place. Might try craigslist too.
Old 7/10/14, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Ugh is right. Nothing on Ebay? Maybe Amazon? I think I saw a thread in a sub-forum from a vendor that makes custom emblems.
Old 7/10/14, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Contact http://www.emblempros.com
Old 7/10/14, 11:35 AM
Legacy Tms Member

eBay is the same situation. They are available but with the while cover. Nothing on Amazon. I just emailed the company you posted. Thanks.
Old 7/12/14, 09:20 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I'm in an auction that ends today on eBay for a new emblem. I started off at $30 and now I'm the high bidder at $127. LOL. I really do like the tri-bar instead if the GT logo but the best I can find on one of those is like $300 with the panel too.
Old 7/18/14, 12:01 PM
Legacy Tms Member

So I got the "new" gas cap. It was almost perfect but had some minor scratches. It didn't come with clips either but that's not a big deal. I'm 3Ming this thing on. I'd still like a tri bar so not having the clips on there will make it easier to remove and replace if I come across another faux cap that I like.

My first thought was plastidip which looked great. I am concerned about scuffing and it peeling so I decided to paint it. I used flat black with a matte clear. Looks great. I'd love to make the GT and the Ford to pop in a different color but I'm done for now.

Old 7/18/14, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good! Let's see that puppy on now!
Old 7/18/14, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks good! The gas cap seems to blend into to panel now.
Old 7/21/14, 04:12 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks!

Finally installed.

Quick Reply: MMD Decklid Panel for the 13-14