Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Magnetic Rear Decklid Panel - Get What You Pay For

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/13, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Magnetic Rear Decklid Panel - Get What You Pay For

So I bought one of the magnetic rear decklid panels from American Muscle, and I was very happy with it when I got it. It has a kind of satin look to it that matches well with the lower rear bumper on the 2010-2012 Mustangs. Plus being magnetic, you can adjust it if it doesn't look right. I previously had the panel that adheres with 3M tape, and besides the bad cut and fitment of the panel, I didn't like that you were stuck with it's placement (literally).

Then the cold came.

In cold weather, this thing becomes brittle. It was about 45 degrees here (down from 70 during the day time), and the panel had slipped down on one side a little bit. No big deal, I though, I'll just move it back into place. Well, as soon as I moved it, it developed a little crack above the fake gas cap. So I left it alone. Today, when it was warmer (mid-60s) I decided to take it off to try to fix it. As soon as I picked it up, the whole thing just fell apart, cracked right down the middle.

So buyer beware with those. They look good, but I wouldn't touch it unless it is warm weather, and preferably until you can maybe spray it with warm water or something to make it more pliable.
Old 12/22/13, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd ordered it too, and hate to say I never even put it on. It looked like it was quality, but the instructions said you have to take it off and wash the magnet and the body weekly, and while I usually keep the car pretty clean, there will be times I'm just not going to remember to do that. Plus I'm in Chicago, so the cold is also an issue. I sent it back and got a refund.

I want my tail panel blacked out, and I prefer the concave look instead of the tape-on panels. I'm going to try Plasti-Dip, (already did the standard GT spolier) and if I need to change to paint I will.

I'm a little surprised no one makes a vinyl decal for that spot, unless I've missed it.
Old 12/22/13, 08:15 PM

Just go to a decal shop and have one cut, it's gonna be very cheap and if you have the measurements can probably be cut in a few minutes.
Old 12/22/13, 10:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds about right. Mine cracked too. Not to mention all the crud that gets trapped behind the magnet unless you wash it regularly.
Old 12/22/13, 11:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
The whole idea sounds nuts to me anyway. Sad to hear the quality sucks too.
Old 12/23/13, 01:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

mine came stock with matte black vinyl so im sure they sell them online somewhere. surprised american muscle doesnt have them for sale.
Old 12/23/13, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
So I bought one of the magnetic rear decklid panels from American Muscle, and I was very happy with it when I got it. It has a kind of satin look to it that matches well with the lower rear bumper on the 2010-2012 Mustangs. Plus being magnetic, you can adjust it if it doesn't look right. I previously had the panel that adheres with 3M tape, and besides the bad cut and fitment of the panel, I didn't like that you were stuck with it's placement (literally).

Then the cold came.

In cold weather, this thing becomes brittle. It was about 45 degrees here (down from 70 during the day time), and the panel had slipped down on one side a little bit. No big deal, I though, I'll just move it back into place. Well, as soon as I moved it, it developed a little crack above the fake gas cap. So I left it alone. Today, when it was warmer (mid-60s) I decided to take it off to try to fix it. As soon as I picked it up, the whole thing just fell apart, cracked right down the middle.

So buyer beware with those. They look good, but I wouldn't touch it unless it is warm weather, and preferably until you can maybe spray it with warm water or something to make it more pliable.
I'm glad to hear you really liked the product and the quality was good, until it got cold! It sounds like the material that they're made of doesn't hold up that well when it's freezing outside. I'll definitely look into this and see what type of solutions we can come up with!

In the meantime, shoot me a PM with your order number included and I'll have my CS team reach out to you directly so that we can make this right. We'll always bend over backwards to make sure our customers are satisfied and in good hands!

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 12/23/13, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I deleted those e-mails with the info awhile ago.

Oh well. I think you were talking to zbrewha anyway.

For those that do have the magnet panel, best to take it off for the winter or don't remove it for cleaning until warmed. Mine ripped when taking it off when cold. I also cracked mine in the same spot as you because it is very slim there. Continual bending from removal and installing weakened it there and it cracked.

AM, I would include instructions for warming the panel before removal with particular attention to the weak spot. Due to the material it is made from, I don't see a solution other than extra caution in cold conditions.
Old 12/23/13, 10:40 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
I'm glad to hear you really liked the product and the quality was good, until it got cold! It sounds like the material that they're made of doesn't hold up that well when it's freezing outside. I'll definitely look into this and see what type of solutions we can come up with!

In the meantime, shoot me a PM with your order number included and I'll have my CS team reach out to you directly so that we can make this right. We'll always bend over backwards to make sure our customers are satisfied and in good hands!

I hope this helps!

-Dan
AM such a stand up company
Old 12/23/13, 10:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
The whole idea sounds nuts to me anyway. Sad to hear the quality sucks too.
Not at all. It looks great and stays on well. The problem is a function of the material it is made from, which is unavoidable when using magnetic material. Just like a paper clip you bend too many times, you get metal fatigue.
Old 12/24/13, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jim010
I deleted those e-mails with the info awhile ago.

Oh well. I think you were talking to zbrewha anyway.

For those that do have the magnet panel, best to take it off for the winter or don't remove it for cleaning until warmed. Mine ripped when taking it off when cold. I also cracked mine in the same spot as you because it is very slim there. Continual bending from removal and installing weakened it there and it cracked.

AM, I would include instructions for warming the panel before removal with particular attention to the weak spot. Due to the material it is made from, I don't see a solution other than extra caution in cold conditions.
I was so focused on fixing the OP's defective item, I must have missed your post! I'm sorry about that. This is the first I'm hearing about this but I'll make sure it's taken care of!

I can definitely get you squared away! Shoot me a PM with your shipping address and name on the order, I'll have a customer service supervisor reach out to you as well.

I'll see what we can do about better instructions and percussion for the winter!

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 12/24/13 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12/30/13, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for offering to help, Dan!