Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Llumar Window Tint 2013 Mustang GT

Old 10/3/13, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lakersfreak

I wish it was a slight glare. It's really bad. I will take a picture of mine tonight and post it. I know what you're talking about when you're saying little glare. This is not normal.

Looks like when they installed the tint they didn't do it correctly. I have air on both sides of the defrost lines on every defrost line (approximately ½ mm on each side).
Hey lakersfreak, great to see another Mustang Enthusiasts in the area Here's the shot of my rear, the gap/air lines seem tighter than yours but I do have them as well so is the slight glare.

Came to conclude that there is really no such thing as 'complete seal' on those bubbled-spots or along the defrost lines but rather how well the shop can perform the installation.

As far as the glare goes, if the reflection of the lights bothers you when driving then it alerts safety. Also it might have to do with type of film used (refer to my signature).

Hope this helps,
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Llumar Window Tint 2013 Mustang GT-image-44113189.jpg  
Old 10/4/13, 10:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's mine for another reference. A lot tighter that yours I think..
Attached Thumbnails Llumar Window Tint 2013 Mustang GT-image-2437663380.jpg  
Old 10/4/13, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Hey lakersfreak, great to see another Mustang Enthusiasts in the area Here's the shot of my rear, the gap/air lines seem tighter than yours but I do have them as well so is the slight glare.

Came to conclude that there is really no such thing as 'complete seal' on those bubbled-spots or along the defrost lines but rather how well the shop can perform the installation.

As far as the glare goes, if the reflection of the lights bothers you when driving then it alerts safety. Also it might have to do with type of film used (refer to my signature).

Hope this helps,
Cheers!
But how bad is your glare? Mine is really really bad. My wife's car, an Edge, has a slight glare with the factory tints, but its bearable. Mine hurts my eyes! Even noticing it during the day now.

I'm going to take a picture of it tonight and post it so you all can see how bad it is.

When I took it to the installer it was obviously during the day and he probably didn't understand what I was talking about. He probably thought I was complaining about the regular glare even though I told him it was really bad.
Old 10/4/13, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Here's mine for another reference. A lot tighter that yours I think..
Wow that's nothing!!!!

Do you guys think I can fix it myself? What if I turned on the rear defrost, wait until it's hot and finished "defrosting", and then apply pressure using a plastic piece used to put on the screen covers on phones?
Old 10/4/13, 10:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that's nothing!!!! Do you guys think I can fix it myself? What if I turned on the rear defrost, wait until it's hot and finished "defrosting", and then apply pressure using a plastic piece used to put on the screen covers on phones?
Maybe? It's definitely an option, I'm no expert on tint but I'm pretty sure the glue they has cured and it would have to be redone. I had a bubble on my window when it was first done and I brought it back to them a week later and they said it would have to be redone and if I wanted it pressed out I had to bring it back immediately when I saw it. They said because I had a nice car they didn't mind re doing it but when people with not so nice cars start knit picking they send them away.. Have a talk with them
Old 2/10/14, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

So it's been a few months and even after taking the car back for them to re-do the tint I still have really bad glare. The refraction from the light is really bad. I'm not sure if it's normal as I've talked to several people who own mustangs that don't have the same issue I have...I don't know what to do at this point
Old 2/15/14, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

So it's been a few months and even after taking the car back for them to re-do the tint I still have really bad glare. The refraction from the light is really bad. I'm not sure if it's normal as I've talked to several people who own mustangs that don't have the same issue I have...I don't know what to do at this point
This is why I waited till the summer to have mine tinted. The heat from parking your car in the sun will allow the tint to cure faster. I'm willing to bet that by summer the gaps in your rear window will be much tighter.
Old 5/6/14, 10:01 AM

Any updates?

Previous owner of my car had 5% on the back window. Looked really good but I didn't like not being able to see out at night. Had it removed and went with 20% and I'm having the same refraction issue your talking about. I used 3M tint on mine.

Last edited by kirbster; 5/6/14 at 10:05 AM.
Old 5/6/14, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kirbster
Any updates?

Previous owner of my car had 5% on the back window. Looked really good but I didn't like not being able to see out at night. Had it removed and went with 20% and I'm having the same refraction issue your talking about. I used 3M tint on mine.
Nothing new. I took it back to the shop a few months ago and they redid the tint. It didn't make a difference. I took it to another shop and they said it's normal....I don't see how when other Mustang owners with tinted windows aren't experiencing same issue. As of now I have given up. Letting myself get used to it, but I hate it.
Old 5/6/14, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tint the outside of the window?? It's a film, so it should hold up to the elements but maybe I'm wrong .
Old 5/6/14, 09:05 PM

Nothing new. I took it back to the shop a few months ago and they redid the tint. It didn't make a difference. I took it to another shop and they said it's normal....I don't see how when other Mustang owners with tinted windows aren't experiencing same issue. As of now I have given up. Letting myself get used to it, but I hate it.
I did the same thing. Tint shop redid my tint and still the same issue. I'm not sure which 3M tint was used but I've had two different ones (first one had a 3 year warranty, second one a lifetime warranty). I will say with 5% there wasn't an issue. I was thinking if I'd went with maybe 15% instead of 20% maybe it would've been better. Not sure but I'm not liking it either. I feel your frustration...
Old 5/12/14, 01:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Regarding the window tint on the rear windshield;
Is the tint applied to the outside of the windshield, or the inside? Inside I could see the defrost lines affecting it, but outside it's as smooth as a baby's bum.

I personally have seen tint places both inside and outside of windows, so why not just move the tint to the outside of the glass. Sure , it'll be exposed to the elements more, but you shouldn't get that annoying glare, right?
Old 5/12/14, 03:41 AM
V6 Member

I'm fairly sure they tinted the inside of my back glass, darkest legal here(35%), no issues for me.
Old 5/12/14, 04:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I've never heard of anyone tinting the outside of a window. It'll never last being exposed to the elements. You'd be lucky to get a year out of it before it looked like hell.
Old 5/12/14, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by RC13GT
I'm fairly sure they tinted the inside of my back glass, darkest legal here(35%), no issues for me.
Do you know what brand tint was used?
Old 5/12/14, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kirbster
Do you know what brand tint was used?
not of the top of my head, but when I find out I'll tell y'all.
Old 5/12/14, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
So I just noticed the other night, that my '03 had the same hacienda around the rear defroster. Guess what brand of tint was on the car? 3M. I had SunTek on my '00 and did not have this issue. I just never really noticed it on my '03 because I didn't drive the car at night that much.

I won't be putting 3M tint on my new car...
Old 5/12/14, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I've never heard of anyone tinting the outside of a window. It'll never last being exposed to the elements. You'd be lucky to get a year out of it before it looked like hell.
My Friend has a 2014 Lancer. I noticed on her driver-side-passenger-door, the quarter window of that is tinted on the outside.
She wasn't pleased with the quality of it.
Old 5/22/14, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

I have 16% tint on my car and there is no glare st all. Its on all Windows except the windshield. Looks great.
Old 5/22/14, 10:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Tominkc
I have 16% tint on my car and there is no glare st all. Its on all Windows except the windshield. Looks great.
Had SunTek on my old V6, Llumar on my parents' cars - no issues with either one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Llumar Window Tint 2013 Mustang GT