'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Le Mans Stripes - Install & Photos

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/13, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Mans Stripes - Install & Photos

After thinking about striping my car for several months, deciding on a color, pattern, roll or pre-cut, and then self install or pay someone, I went and ordered a set from MoProAuto they call the "Stampede 2" package.

These come in a range of colors and are pre-cut as a double set of 10 inch wide stripes that are separated by about 2 inches. All in explained in the instructions and they tell you that two pieces of 1 inch wide masking or painters tape will give you the correct spacing. I had planned to pay someone to do the install, but after looking the situation over I felt like I could handle it.

Turns out this is a lot easier than one would think. Now, there are a couple of things that I will emphasize are critical to ensure a successful install.

1. One must accurately determine the center-line of the car from the front to the back. Pencil marks need to be put across the hood, roof and trunk every 3-5 inches so you can lay the tape down without it looking "wavy" when you step back 10 feet and eyeball it. There are a few ways to do this: some suggest string across the car and divide by half, you could line up a laser leveler down the center ( I tried it! ) or the way I did it was to take known reference points like the hood and truck seams and measure in that way. Whatever works for you. Once that's done you lay a line of 1 inch tape down the marks on the body, then lay another line of tape on the other side and the most important part is done.

2. The second important thing ( this is based on my experience, others may not agree ) is that you use pre-cut sections and not just cheap out and buy a roll of 10 inch wide vinyl. Using the pre-cut sections meant that I did not have to use the razor blade once! In addition, the pre-cut sections are tapered to fit the curves of the hood, front bumper and probably the roof as well. They just slid into place after wetting the areas down. I honestly believe that unless the sections were pre-cut I would not have been able to do the install myself. So, no cutting, no heat gun, no wrinkles, just pieces that are designed to fit exactly where they need to.

Here are some photos of the result, I think it looks just about pro installed, and it only needed several hours ( well, about 5-6 really! ) over the weekend. I took my time and enjoyed the process, plus saved a few bucks on the installation cost. Around $150 for the stripe package and delivered in about 3-4 days. If you change your mind down the road a few years, I believe they'll peel right off. Thanks everyone for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails Le Mans Stripes - Install & Photos-img_1607.jpg   Le Mans Stripes - Install & Photos-img_1604.jpg   Le Mans Stripes - Install & Photos-img_1599.jpg   Le Mans Stripes - Install & Photos-img_1601.jpg   Le Mans Stripes - Install & Photos-img_1605.jpg  

Old 8/27/13, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good! Thanks for the info. MY husband and myself will be installing our stripes this weekend! We purchased the over the top and side stripes pre-cut as well.
Old 8/27/13, 11:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks good. I like how white gives you so many stripe color options.
Old 8/27/13, 12:24 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks great on a white car.
Old 8/27/13, 02:33 PM

That looks great! I have some to put on but I have the glass roof.
How would you approach that?
Thanks
Old 8/27/13, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That looks very good! I bought sterling grey because like white, it is a canvas for lots of different color stripes. I figure I'll go with red first, then in a few years maybe switch to black or who knows by then!
The only thing I will do different from yours is trim them to not go over the black piece between the tail lights since it's a '14.
On the rear spoiler, does the stripe go on and fold over or is it two pieces? I am also assuming the trunk pieces are separate from the spoiler pieces?
Old 8/27/13, 07:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks really good! I love grey/silver on white, it looks very sleek. That simple mod really sets your car apart from others
Old 8/29/13, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good. I used MoPro and like the kit.
Old 8/30/13, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
looks nice...good job
Old 8/30/13, 01:41 PM

Auto 5.0: Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on your question. The pre-cut kit comes in about 10-11 pieces for each side. Some are used only on the V-6 as the front bumper is different than on a 5.0.

The rear section is the most complicated in that there are a total of 5 separate stripe pieces back there for each side: trunk top, spoiler top, spoiler back, rear panel and back bumper with cut-outs for the plate area. The seam for the spolier is on the top edge. While that seems odd, it makes sense to be in that location as you really do not notice it at all. The vinyl isn't that thick and will easily fold over a 90 degree bend after the top backing paper is removed.

AS far as not putting this on the rear fascia for '13 and '14's; I think the manufacturer has a kit for those model years. Even if the back piece went over the black panel section of the 13 and 14 cars, it would be very easy to lay in on and then cut it later with a straight edge on the top and bottom and then remove it.

Also, thanks guys and gals for your positive feedback. My main purpose was to share with the audience that it wasn't that hard to do a vinyl stripe install, and if using pre-cut pieces, to go ahead and do it yourself.
Old 8/31/13, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by redxeyes71
That looks great! I have some to put on but I have the glass roof.
How would you approach that?
Thanks
My car would be striped but my wife hates them... I planned on buying a kit and just not using the roof panel section. But I have also seen a Glass Roof car that used tint on the roof to match the stripes. Not how I would do it... But another option
Old 8/31/13, 03:10 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by dcottrell61
That looks great on a white car.
I agree. I like it.
Old 8/31/13, 03:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
My car would be striped but my wife hates them... I planned on buying a kit and just not using the roof panel section. But I have also seen a Glass Roof car that used tint on the roof to match the stripes. Not how I would do it... But another option
That's a cool idea, never seen that
Old 9/1/13, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great i almost went with silver stripes myself. If I were you I'd get a gt/cs front to math the rear!