Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

HID to Halogen Housing Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/11, 04:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID to Halogen Housing Swap

This thread might make more sense when the HID only 2013 Mustangs hit, but I'm a little ahead of the curve. I have a 2011 GT, but just like the 2013 owners to come, I had no choice but to get OEM HIDs in my car. I'm from America, but I live in Japan and HIDs are standard here.

Of course, the HIDs function well and I've loved them on other cars that I have owned, but I'm sorry... I really don't like how they look on the 2010+ Mustangs... I've always though they look cross-eyed.

So, here is the deal...
I've purchased Halogen housings and bulbs from America and my dealer here in Japan seems up to the task of doing the retrofit. We know that we are going to have to make some sort of relay for the lights to function properly since the wiring is different. We also know that we will need new pig tails since the plugs on the HIDs are different...

My main question is: Does anybody know if the turn signal plugs and bulbs are the same on both the HID and Halogen equipped cars? Knowing that would really help me out...

Also, if anybody has advise or experience with this "downgrade" please post here. Any information would really help me since I'm pretty cut off here in Japan. Also, It'll likely help a few potential 2013 buyers who don't like the HIDs...

Thanks in advance!
Old 12/19/11, 09:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Still watching your post but I'm wanting to know the exact opposite. If I can get my hands on a Boss I wouldn't mind upgrading to the OEM HID headlights if it is possible. But like you I'm unsure of what wiring exists in halogen vs hid cars and vice versa. How easy or difficult the swap is. Keep us posted since you have the halogen kit already!
Old 12/20/11, 12:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok! Will do...
I'm pretty sure a few people have attempted swapping halogens for HIDs with some success. I heard one case where the lights worked fine, but the brights wouldn't go on. Some sort of problem with the solenoid, I think.
Old 12/20/11, 08:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I'm cautiously optimistic but after seeing that the OEM HID light/housing are over $1000 a side I think it will be a foregone endeavor. But still interesting none the less.