'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Grilles for 2013's?

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/13, 10:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was surprised that Roush lower grille requires cutting. I've just watched CJ Pony Parts installation video and the cutting seems minor though.

Luckily, I'll be installing both Roush upper and lower grilles at the same time so I hope it'll be an easier job.

Last edited by Hani; 2/17/13 at 11:16 PM.
Old 2/18/13, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Wow. There is no way in hell that I'll ever buy either Roush grille if I have to modify the car to install them.

I can't believe that they couldn't make them fit into existing holes like Ford does with the CS ones ...

Old 2/18/13, 09:24 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
That lower grille is crap. If you look closely you can see it stressing and not fitting flush on the passenger side.

I'd cut the tabs off the grille itself and double up the 3M tape before I altered and cut the actual bumper.

No going back once the bumper is cut and the tape will hold just as well.
Old 2/18/13, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Hani
I was surprised that Roush lower grille requires cutting. I've just watched CJ Pony Parts installation video and the cutting seems minor though.

Luckily, I'll be installing both Roush upper and lower grilles at the same time so I hope it'll be an easier job.

Thanks for finding the video grille install . It answered the cutting part for me. Now I just have to get it up on jack stands and take off the Roush chin splitter so I can get to it.
Old 2/18/13, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea after I saw that video I was like what the hell!! If I get it I will probably cut the tabs off the grille and do what was suggested and tape the hell out of it.
Old 2/18/13, 09:37 PM

The 3M tape alone will hold it. The plus is that wind presses it to the contours of the bumper and not opposite and against it.

Spoilers are even held on with 3m tape...So its all good.

Watching that green bumper get cut up was painful to watch.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 2/18/13 at 09:38 PM.
Old 2/19/13, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
The 3M tape alone will hold it. The plus is that wind presses it to the contours of the bumper and not opposite and against it.

Spoilers are even held on with 3m tape...So its all good.

Watching that green bumper get cut up was painful to watch.
I am not squeamish and the car didn't even yelp when I cut it. Really, very minor surgery and should not cause problems going back to stock . Some pretty 3M band aids will make everything all better again.
Old 2/19/13, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an online chat with someone from Roush this morning, and they confirmed that once you cut you cannot return to stock. I would suspect a bunch of 3m tape will hold the stock one in if it had to after making cuts.

With that being said, I would figure that making cuts for the Roush lower will negate using other 3 party grilles as well.

I am still awaiting the arrival of my grille. Ordered October 8th 2012. Tis winter here so I am not driving my car currently, but I expected that Roush would have gotten their heads out of their butts by now.
Old 2/19/13, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
I had an online chat with someone from Roush this morning, and they confirmed that once you cut you cannot return to stock. I would suspect a bunch of 3m tape will hold the stock one in if it had to after making cuts.

With that being said, I would figure that making cuts for the Roush lower will negate using other 3 party grilles as well.

I am still awaiting the arrival of my grille. Ordered October 8th 2012. Tis winter here so I am not driving my car currently, but I expected that Roush would have gotten their heads out of their butts by now.
I agree and agree some more. Remember that it is easier, less invasive, and cheaper in the long run to alter the grille itself and not the bumper.

Roush supplies double sided tape in addition to mounting clips. I'd neatly cut the tabs on the grille and double up the 3m tape parallel. (Not stacked and thickened)

The grille will fit better also because the tape will give ever so slightly in temperature changes. Unlike the clips, that are so tight, the plastic has no choice but to warp.

Note in the video: you can actually see one of the green tabs stressing because the tech failed to cut a big enough opening for the grille tab. As a result, it created tension that can be seen on the left side.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 2/19/13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 2/19/13, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Its crazy I wonder why in the heck Roush would have done this.
Old 3/5/13, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Any Roush grilles installed yet?
Old 3/5/13, 10:29 PM
GT Member

I ordered the upper and lower Roush grilles (and fog lights) yesterday. The cutting looks minor and the installation looks easy. The Roush grilles look so much better than anything else that I seriously doubt I'll ever change them once installed - ESPECIALLY back to the stock ones (that look like crap)!

Unfortunately, I am working overseas at the moment and won't be reunited with my car until mid-April. I'll post pics in a few weeks...I think the set-up will look great on Sterling Grey!
Old 3/6/13, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by fgibbs
Any Roush grilles installed yet?

I installed my Roush upper, and cut the hell out of my lower to mimic the open Roush lowers that are unavailable. I don't care about ever returning to stock, I will never do that

My Roush splitter will be here today, so I will get some new photos in the next day or two.

Name:  Grille2_zps7554a520.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  473.6 KB
Old 3/6/13, 08:05 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Diva for posting this, I'm a neighbor of yours, 20 miles south in MD.

This thread is awfully long so info may be covered. I have a 2013 Black GT / GT Track Pack/ Recaros and would like to dump the GT Grille. Looking at all the horizontial grilles and focusing in on the FORD upper and lowers. So question: I thought the DR3Z-8200-BE and DB was the Dark Stainless color and the DR3Z-8200-BD was the painted Silver one. Is this correct? Understand that DR3Z-8200-CC/EA are the black ones. And I assume that these do not come with the Pony already installed.

OBTW try http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/ for low prices on these grilles, also Ford Fog Light relocation kit.

Last edited by Cobrakit; 3/6/13 at 08:06 AM.
Old 3/6/13, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cobrakit
Thanks Diva for posting this, I'm a neighbor of yours, 20 miles south in MD.

This thread is awfully long so info may be covered. I have a 2013 Black GT / GT Track Pack/ Recaros and would like to dump the GT Grille. Looking at all the horizontial grilles and focusing in on the FORD upper and lowers. So question: I thought the DR3Z-8200-BE and DB was the Dark Stainless color and the DR3Z-8200-BD was the painted Silver one. Is this correct? Understand that DR3Z-8200-CC/EA are the black ones. And I assume that these do not come with the Pony already installed.

OBTW try http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/ for low prices on these grilles, also Ford Fog Light relocation kit.
20 miles south of me and you'll be in Virginia, lol.

The dark stainless and the black are the only options. there is no painted silver. However, they did slightly change part numbers on a few when the grilles became available as accessories.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 3/6/13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 3/6/13, 11:07 AM

Splitter showed up today so I threw it on at lunch

Name:  RoushGrilleAndSplitter3_zps47a8a153.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  453.3 KB
Old 3/6/13, 11:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tattooedblue
Splitter showed up today so I threw it on at lunch
Looks great! You have the factory one all ready cut and stuff when it came to lunch?
Old 3/6/13, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Looks great! You have the factory one all ready cut and stuff when it came to lunch?
No, drove home at lunch and used a cutoff wheel on a grinder to do it.
Roush says 1.5hrs, but was closer to 45min. But I used a cordless drill to remove bolts
Old 3/6/13, 11:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tattooedblue

No, drove home at lunch and used a cutoff wheel on a grinder to do it.
Roush says 1.5hrs, but was closer to 45min. But I used a cordless drill to remove bolts
Ahh cool, nice work
Old 3/6/13, 02:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
20 miles south of me and you'll be in Virginia, lol.
OK, so Southern Maryland, remember that DC was land donated by Maryland, ha, ha.

So the Ford dealer had both the -BE and -BD listed. -BD was more expensive . Has anyone heard of this grille? Guess I could order and see if its dark stainless or silver.

Quick Reply: Grilles for 2013's?