'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Front mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/14, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front mud flaps?

Seen these as well as a few others, thinking I might go with these, unless Ford makes an OEM one for the GT500 that will work on a GT like the rears that are now standard on the GT from the factory?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/front-...ards-1012.html

The sticky tires throw stuff at my rockers constantly and it makes me cringe so bad…after every drive i bust out my iPhone and use the flashlight to inspect behind the front wheels for rock chips lol…but god i hate mud flaps (though the rears don't bother me whatsoever since it came that way from the factory, go figure)

I'm concerned about the fact this is a year round daily, so salt will get stuck between them and the metal fender lip where I can't wash/wax…and once they are installed I don't want to be pulling the clips out over and over to remove them to clean behind them since then the clips will get loose and crappy. thoughts?
Old 3/31/14, 09:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Front mud guards no good.
Rear mud guards good. Lol
Old 3/31/14, 10:52 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say get them....they aren't even noticeable on my car and I don't have any issues with anything getting caught between them and the inner fender. Here's my story I posted in another thread....

A 2 mile stretch of road with loose gravel/asphalt that had been routed out for center line reflectors a few hours earlier left small chips and abrasions on my lower door and rocker panel. The next day I ordered these as I think they would have helped minimize the damage.
Old 3/31/14, 11:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Splash guards!

I use Jaeger Bros. And added 3M Mask to the rockers.
Old 4/1/14, 04:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Splash guards!

I use Jaeger Bros. And added 3M Mask to the rockers.
^^^^ This^^^^
Old 4/1/14, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by puma1552
Seen these as well as a few others, thinking I might go with these, unless Ford makes an OEM one for the GT500 that will work on a GT like the rears that are now standard on the GT from the factory?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/front-...ards-1012.html

The sticky tires throw stuff at my rockers constantly and it makes me cringe so bad…after every drive i bust out my iPhone and use the flashlight to inspect behind the front wheels for rock chips lol…but god i hate mud flaps (though the rears don't bother me whatsoever since it came that way from the factory, go figure)

I'm concerned about the fact this is a year round daily, so salt will get stuck between them and the metal fender lip where I can't wash/wax…and once they are installed I don't want to be pulling the clips out over and over to remove them to clean behind them since then the clips will get loose and crappy. thoughts?
The rockers on these cars definitely take a beating. The rear section of the car is usually pretty protected with the factory mud flap. However, the side rockers really get hammered with rocks and road grime. If the car is a daily driver, I highly recommend picking up a set of Mud flaps. The attached mud flaps aren't big and bulky so they're pretty sleek. They'll definitely do the job though!

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Old 4/1/14, 10:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Dan..i have send you two PM.. can you please respond
Old 4/1/14, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
The rockers on these cars definitely take a beating. The rear section of the car is usually pretty protected with the factory mud flap. However, the side rockers really get hammered with rocks and road grime. If the car is a daily driver, I highly recommend picking up a set of Mud flaps. The attached mud flaps aren't big and bulky so they're pretty sleek. They'll definitely do the job though!

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Thanks, I got my order in bright and early this morning, hopefully this makes the car drivable without sheer terror every time I see a tiny little pebble or sand grain in the road.
Old 4/1/14, 08:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks, I got my order in bright and early this morning, hopefully this makes the car drivable without sheer terror every time I see a tiny little pebble or sand grain in the road.
Roush splitters do the same thing. I'm just not feeling front flaps no matter how inconspicuous.
Old 4/2/14, 09:44 AM

I have the same guards you ordered I think they are working great they don't look bad either. My next exterior mod will probably be the Roush side splitters and rear splitters.

Edit: I also drive about 2 an a 1/2 miles of gravel road every day one way.

Last edited by TheFUBAR; 4/2/14 at 09:47 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 4/2/14, 01:26 PM

I just made my own front and rear flaps from a black $4.00 plastic trash bin at lowes.. If they get damaged I make another trip to lowes... Lol
Old 4/2/14, 02:27 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CiniZter
^ Dan..i have send you two PM.. can you please respond
PM'ed back!

-Dan

It should definitely help! I'm getting ready to install a set of my car also. The roads are not very pretty this time of year. Good luck with them! Let us know if you have any feedback.

-Dan
Old 4/2/14, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had mine on for a while. They're so inconspicuous you don't even notice them. I can report that they do help, but I've still got additional wear on my rocker panels since I put them on. Granted, this was a brutal winter and PennDOT mixing in gravel with their salt surely didn't help.
Old 4/2/14, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Roush splitters do the same thing. I'm just not feeling front flaps no matter how inconspicuous.
+1 on the Roush side splitters! They look great on the car and do help protect the rocker.
Old 4/3/14, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys, hoping my flaps arrive today or tomorrow. Indeed the roads are pure trash up here in the north, aside from the potholes are the trillions and trillions of stones/rocks in the road that came out of the potholes...even when they go around and have crews fill the potholes with a shovel and a truck full of tar, they don't bother to sweep up the extra so even when there is a filled pothole, there are even more rocks on the road, ughhhh

hurry up and sweep the streets already...
Old 4/4/14, 03:26 PM

Front mud flaps?-image-2048491279.jpg

Front

Front mud flaps?-image-2621359204.jpg

Rear. $4.00 for all four..
Old 4/6/14, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just installed my flaps from AM. Pretty happy with the final install, probably the best flaps out there for 2010-2014 Stangs.

Taking out the clips was easier than expected, probably due to the car being so new and the clips not being all crusty. I found that the innermost/lower clip snapped right back into place nicely with the flap installed, but I had problems getting the outermost/upper clips to clip all the way back in once the flap was installed. I could tell they weren't going anywhere, but I could also tell that they weren't snapped all the way in like the lower ones. It took several attempts and messing around with it, but eventually I got the upper clips to snap in nice and tight…I found that using one hand to push up on the rocker panel and the other hand with the clip to push in around where the upper hole was while installing the clip did the trick. Probably took 30 minutes total given that I had to mess with the upper clips.

Not a huge fan of the shiny fronts, but I suppose that's for cleaning? I'd still rather see the fronts be textured, or at least not shiny. Would also be nice if the texture on the backs matched the texture of the OEM rear flaps, but oh well.
Old 4/8/14, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the flat - curvable mud flaps with the running pony on them. They are a Ford accessory. The nice part about them is you can mount them at whatever height you want. I just use the rocker panel front push pins to mount them.
Old 4/22/14, 11:03 AM

Thumbs up Michael417

Definitely like those home made ones.
Old 4/22/14, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've got the AM ones on the way. The price didn't seem that crazy to me but I've always put Rally Armors on my Subaru's. Expensive but worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Front mud flaps?