Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Fog Lights On with High Beams On

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/21, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights On with High Beams On

I have a 2014 Mustang GT (w/ track pack)

I’ve been searching for a solution for a while to be able to turn my fogs on even while the high beams are on. I want to accomplish this without adding an additional switch.

Jason at Starkey products was kind enough to explain how their aftermarket wiring “harness accomplishes this is less about intentional design - because most people want it to function this way, we designed it WITHOUT a cutoff relay that was connected to the high beams. Normally on an aftermarket setup, you would add a 2nd relay that cuts power when the high beam circuit is energized. Our harness does not have that relay and thus it will not turn off when the high beams come on.”

Is anyone familiar enough with wiring to know if the stock harness can be modified like this?

I also found this older forum post (from 2005): https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-beams-427886/
I don’t know enough about wiring diagrams to be able to tell if this would work for the 2010-2014’s.

The last option I've explored is using FORSCAN to turn on “Bambi mode”, but there is very little information readily available regarding forscan codes for 2014 mustangs. I’m either too lazy or not smart enough to mess around with the code until it works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 4/22/21, 10:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
It is wired this way because fog lights and high beams don't go together; fog lights are for close-up, low-down lighting in fog or snow or other limited visibility conditions; high beams are for long distance and high-up visibility in clear conditions

in some nanny-states (like Massachusetts) it might even be illegal to have them on at the same time, not sure

Last edited by Bert; 4/22/21 at 10:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (4/23/21)
Old 4/22/21, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understood and agreed. This mod is more for the people who live in areas where it isn’t illegal or who don’t intend to use it on public roads.
I’ve been in situations on a very dark, rural road where the high beams leave the area nearest your car unilluminated and it makes it harder to see potholes, etc. Having the ability to choose to have fogs on could help in some instances, and you’d still have the ability to only run high beams in other scenarios. On top of that, some people may run different types of lights in the “fog light” receptacles which may compliment the high beams.

Last edited by DeepStang; 4/22/21 at 10:51 AM.
Old 4/24/21, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
And to think I still don't like using High beams period, was taught to never outdrive your low beams and let your eyes adjust to the darkness and sparingly use your high beams when needed but not all the time.
SpectreH (4/24/21)
Old 4/24/21, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Abandon the Ford wiring. Rewire it with your own circuit. Get the 'on' signal from the lamp switch directly (scotchlock, or pull the pin out of the stock connector and put in a new pin with a wire on it, taping off the old one... pin 5 should be that signal, since the 2010-2014 headlamp switch is the same switch), run that signal to the input of a relay. Run a separate, fused power from the battery to the power input of the relay. Ground the signal output side. Send the power out side to the fogs directly. Ground the ground side of the fogs. Done and tada and stuff: Fully controlled, always on if desired fog lamps.

The car will permanently think the fogs are off. It won't ever know the bulbs are dead. No warnings whatsoever. And you will have fogs at all times no matter what that multifunction tries to do to them, as you control it, and it still looks stock inside the car, no holes or extra switches needed.

You only need a pair of correct fog lamp connectors from a donor car at a pull a part or something. Snip the harness there, you have the pigtails. Oh, and maybe get the headlamp harness connector so you can pull a pin and get the signal wire that way for your car. Plus extras. They're real easy to extract, so why not have some lyin' around just in case, eh?

I understand you can change out the fog lamp with the H10 bulb to the LEDs of the GT directly with a swapper harness set, available at lots of places, so there shouldn't be any reason you can't just directly wire them to fused and relayed power directly from the battery.

There is a thing you lose in this, which is the fog lamp indicator. Oh well.

Unless someone can tell me why that wouldn't work, I'd do it that way. Heck, I may just on my GT... except I don't have fog lamps anymore. Oh well.

For what that's worth, hope it helps!

/Related video after wiring done:

Last edited by houtex; 4/24/21 at 10:17 PM.
SpectreH (4/25/21)
Old 4/27/21, 08:47 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
^^^ Love that song!