Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

DG tail light bezels for < $50

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/12, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DG tail light bezels for < $50

Got the unpainted version from DG for $38 shipped and add a can of Satin Black Krylon Fusion paint for plastic for $7 at Walmart and SCORE tail light bezels for <$50... a lot better than $100+ for others I was considering. Waiting for paint to cure (7 days) before I apply to car and then have to wait 24 hrs after installation but getting close : )

Here are unpainted and after painted, will post on car pic's next week...
Attached Thumbnails DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03645-1.jpg   DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03646-2.jpg   DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03647-3.jpg  
Old 9/11/12, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
See my post about the DG bezels (from maybe a month ago). You're going to want to paint the edges of the taillights or you'll have a lot of red showing around the outside of the bezels...
Old 9/11/12, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by wannabe
See my post about the DG bezels (from maybe a month ago). You're going to want to paint the edges of the taillights or you'll have a lot of red showing around the outside of the bezels...
I had seen that about American Muscle ones and why I chose DG instead... will definitely look into it before I install, and paint lens edges before hand... as for taping center posts what kind of tape did you use?
Old 9/12/12, 03:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lavaredmca
I had seen that about American Muscle ones and why I chose DG instead... will definitely look into it before I install, and paint lens edges before hand... as for taping center posts what kind of tape did you use?
3m auto tape, cut into skinny strips. I think taping those middle pieces also makes it harder to get the piece on right... because there's a little flex (and therefore adjustment 'room') in the bezel. Once that sticky tape hits something, you don't get to move it much anymore.
Old 9/15/12, 05:09 PM

here are pics on car... 2 coats of Krylon Fusion (Satin Black) and matches pretty well with deck lid trim... followed instructions other than only waited 4 days instead of 7 for curing paint before installing... as for painting lens edges I am not that unhappy with "halo" but if I decide down the road figure I'll unfasten and pop them out a bit for better access and just go around the edge with some black nail polish... all in all I feel it was < $50 well spent.
Attached Thumbnails DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03649-1.jpg   DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03650-2.jpg  
Old 9/16/12, 12:25 PM

with brake lights on in darkened garage... I don't have any sense of urgency to paint edges as most of my driving is in daylight anyways...
Attached Thumbnails DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03653_01.jpg   DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03654_01.jpg   DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03655_01.jpg   DG tail light bezels for &lt; -dsc03656_01.jpg  
Old 9/16/12, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

That just bothered the hell out of me, and I couldn't stand it.

First, I think it looks bad... but maybe just as much as that is the idea that they could've made them big enough to cover the whole lens properly to begin with. It's not just the DG ones, either. All the ones I've seen are like that. Maybe I'm just too picky. I read the reviews and see pics of some of the aftermarket splitters/diffusers/body kits that don't fit right... and I just don't get it.
Old 9/25/12, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by wannabe
That just bothered the hell out of me, and I couldn't stand it.

First, I think it looks bad... but maybe just as much as that is the idea that they could've made them big enough to cover the whole lens properly to begin with. It's not just the DG ones, either. All the ones I've seen are like that. Maybe I'm just too picky. I read the reviews and see pics of some of the aftermarket splitters/diffusers/body kits that don't fit right... and I just don't get it.
yeah I ultimately pulled the lights out and painted the edges (used black nail polish) with the edge of the tail light and clearance can't see how a bezel could wrap around edge so DG ones do go pretty much completely to the edge on mine... just figured I would go the extra mile and finish it off.

With the lights out the rubber drip edge pops off exposing the outside fender edge quite nicely... ended up putting 2 coats of nail polish on the blacken it out quite nicely... at this point "It is what it is", adding $6 for nail polish it is still pretty close to $50 and cheapest mod to date : )
Old 9/25/12, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think they look like they belong on there and should've been to begin with... and I guess somebody at Ford also thought that was too much red all in one place since they fixed it with the '13. And I agree... a great mod for $50... or even the $100 I paid for the painted ones.