'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

ClearBra and Tint plus Boss Coil Covers installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/12 | 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Clear bra looks awesome (oxymoron lol). Thinking of doing the same this summer after a good polish. Been pushing my luck driving home on the interstate. Still managed to keep her chip free after 5000 miles.
Old 3/5/12 | 01:50 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by flySWA737
Clear bra looks awesome (oxymoron lol). Thinking of doing the same this summer after a good polish. Been pushing my luck driving home on the interstate. Still managed to keep her chip free after 5000 miles.
thanks fly.

Yes, definitely get one. All it takes is that one stupid semi truck that pulls out in front of you, or some other hooligan driving over a loose rock, and it's over.
Old 3/5/12 | 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

thanks fly.

Yes, definitely get one. All it takes is that one stupid semi truck that pulls out in front of you, or some other hooligan driving over a loose rock, and it's over.
Ohh yes. I actually had an inpatient suv cut me off and I watched the rock flick up. I was lucky enough to have it ricochet off the windshield. Been considering it seriously after that.

I've never had one so this is kind of a noob question. Can the bra be polished over to get rid of those swirls?
Old 3/5/12 | 03:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

My car will never looks anywhere close to as good as yours does! It looks amazing. I wish I lived closer to you, I'd get you to detail my car. You could name your price, lol. Anyways, nice job man.
Old 3/5/12 | 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

I like how the back is level with the front, is that because u lowered the rear only? the car looks much longer this way.

I cant see any of the clearbra i dont see it..but definitely needed to do highway driving
Old 3/5/12 | 07:10 PM
GT Member

https://themustangsource.com/f800/so...ght=sound+tube

and the Roush springs thread is on the first page of this section.

Togan, yes I didn't want the car any lower in the front (roads are crappy around here) so by just dropping the rear it now sits nearly level. Just a tad higher in the rear!

Last edited by orpheus; 3/5/12 at 07:12 PM.
Old 3/6/12 | 07:20 AM
I Have No Life

Ohh yes. I actually had an inpatient suv cut me off and I watched the rock flick up. I was lucky enough to have it ricochet off the windshield. Been considering it seriously after that.

I've never had one so this is kind of a noob question. Can the bra be polished over to get rid of those swirls?
Yeah, that's why I have the bra on mine. I was always leary of the bra before. I read about it, heard about it, but never pulled the trigger. Was always worried about looks, how the paint will look underneath it, will it get hazy, etc etc. After doing more research, the newer bras don't peel, don't yellow, are durable as heck, and the paint underneath stays pristine. So I pulled the trigger. 3 cars and a few years later, I'm a FIRM BELIEVER in it.

As for swirls on the film, funny you ask that. I've been trying to figure that out too. Some folks say you can't polish it, some say you can. So I have a question out to my detailing forum and waiting for answers. The way I see it, I'm kindda ok with the swirls on the film. That way, after a highway jaunt, if it's filled with bugs/etc, I can just get an MF, detail spray, and wipe away, with no worries of swirls...I figure eh, it's ok.

Originally Posted by Thomas S
My car will never looks anywhere close to as good as yours does! It looks amazing. I wish I lived closer to you, I'd get you to detail my car. You could name your price, lol. Anyways, nice job man.
Thanks Thomas. Yeah, I LOVE detailing (in case you guys didn't already know that). Yeah, I do it professionally, on the side only now, but used to be a lot more a few years ago...just don't have the time. But yes if we all lived closer, I'd gladly take on the detailing jobs

Originally Posted by TOGAN
I like how the back is level with the front, is that because u lowered the rear only? the car looks much longer this way.

I cant see any of the clearbra i dont see it..but definitely needed to do highway driving
Are you talking about me or Orpheus? If me, I have K springs all around. It's a 1.5" drop (see sig) on all 4. IMO, it's the perfect drop. Orph has something else I think.
Old 3/6/12 | 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, that's why I have the bra on mine. I was always leary of the bra before. I read about it, heard about it, but never pulled the trigger. Was always worried about looks, how the paint will look underneath it, will it get hazy, etc etc. After doing more research, the newer bras don't peel, don't yellow, are durable as heck, and the paint underneath stays pristine. So I pulled the trigger. 3 cars and a few years later, I'm a FIRM BELIEVER in it.
Good to hear. Those are the same things that I've mainly been worried about. Definitely taking a look into it this summer. The stress of driving on the highway with impatient drivers is just up there. The yellowing was the main worry since she's an outdoor car for the time being.

As for swirls on the film, funny you ask that. I've been trying to figure that out too. Some folks say you can't polish it, some say you can. So I have a question out to my detailing forum and waiting for answers. The way I see it, I'm kindda ok with the swirls on the film. That way, after a highway jaunt, if it's filled with bugs/etc, I can just get an MF, detail spray, and wipe away, with no worries of swirls...I figure eh, it's ok.
Haha agreed there. As long as the paint is safe.
Old 3/6/12 | 09:29 AM
I Have No Life

Good to hear. Those are the same things that I've mainly been worried about. Definitely taking a look into it this summer. The stress of driving on the highway with impatient drivers is just up there. The yellowing was the main worry since she's an outdoor car for the time being.

Haha agreed there. As long as the paint is safe.
Yeah no more worries on yellowing, and I believe they are now warrantied for that very thing. Along with warranties on peeling or bubbling. Chips are not warrantied obviously.

And yes the paint is kept safe. Like it's mummified and preserved
Old 3/6/12 | 04:59 PM

Install looks good! The swirl marks can be removed with undilluted isopropyl alcohol if it is 3M Scotchgard. If it is 3M Ventureshield, then you should be able to buff them out (do NOT use alcohol on Ventureshield).

A quick word to the wise, avoid using products with high concentrations of petroleum distillates like naptha or kerosene (very common in synthetic paint waxes) on your clearbra, as it will cause the urethane to dry out over time. When urethane dries out it opens up the pores and makes it much more likely to turn yellow or haze. Nine time out of ten, this is the casue when you see a nasty looking clearbra. Plexus plastic polish is also a no-no.

Stick with purpose made products and you'll be in good shape!

***Full disclosure: I work for a company that produces a similar urethane product.

Last edited by pjp98z; 3/6/12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 3/6/12 | 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats impressive, my boss didnt make 800 miles before it had three small chips. Touched them up and had the clear bra put on. I stay off the rear of other cars and am careful when driving and still got those.
Old 3/6/12 | 06:15 PM
V6 Member

very nice!
Old 3/6/12 | 07:03 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by pjp98z
Install looks good! The swirl marks can be removed with undilluted isopropyl alcohol if it is 3M Scotchgard. If it is 3M Ventureshield, then you should be able to buff them out (do NOT use alcohol on Ventureshield).

A quick word to the wise, avoid using products with high concentrations of petroleum distillates like naptha or kerosene (very common in synthetic paint waxes) on your clearbra, as it will cause the urethane to dry out over time. When urethane dries out it opens up the pores and makes it much more likely to turn yellow or haze. Nine time out of ten, this is the casue when you see a nasty looking clearbra. Plexus plastic polish is also a no-no.

Stick with purpose made products and you'll be in good shape!

***Full disclosure: I work for a company that produces a similar urethane product.
What do you think of the following sealants? (I own them)

Chem guys jetseal
Wolfgang deep gloss
Blackfire wet diamond
4star ultimate paint sealant
Menzerna polylock
Detailers pro polycoat
Duragloss aquawax
Sonax highspeed wax
Optimum car wax

Originally Posted by 96lasersnake

Thats impressive, my boss didnt make 800 miles before it had three small chips. Touched them up and had the clear bra put on. I stay off the rear of other cars and am careful when driving and still got those.
Sorry to hear man. All it takes is that right combo of bad luck and Murphy and you get a permanent chip

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/6/12 at 07:13 PM.
Old 3/7/12 | 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 96lasersnake
Sorry to hear that. My driving on the highway is full of a lot of stress and cursing. I dont even know how I managed to go this long. Can't wait to eleviate this stress with the clear bra.
Old 3/7/12 | 08:48 AM
I Have No Life

Sorry to hear that. My driving on the highway is full of a lot of stress and cursing. I dont even know how I managed to go this long. Can't wait to eleviate this stress with the clear bra.
yeah Fly, I was exactly like you with my old toy cars.... driving on the highway, all uptight, stressed. Driving slow, so as not to come up on people. Then more people cut you off, and before you know it, you're like 5 miles back. Then on TOP of that, I still got a few chips. So in the end, it wasn't worth all that. I got sick of it. Clear bra, DONE. Love highway driving now.

500 - 900 bucks for peace of mine? Sign me up.

So yeah, give Emma something she deserves

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/7/12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 4/5/12 | 09:14 AM

FromZto5: I am getting my 13 next week and have been strongly considering a clear bra. Do you have recommendations regarding the areas that should be covered? i.e. some of the hood, bumpers etc. The price can get quite high for more coverage (as high as $2000 according to one person I spoke with few weeks ago).

Thanks for your insight and help
Old 4/5/12 | 09:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

$2k??? I bought $100 3M clear bra which was ridiculously simple to "install" and worked great. Getting the full kit, with mirrors and what not, was less than $200 but I was poor at the time. $2,000 is insanity. After a quote like that, Id stay far, far away from that business. Im having significant amounts of vinyl (color and clear) done by a pro for about $500 including material and labor.
Old 4/5/12 | 01:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by ry1980
FromZto5: I am getting my 13 next week and have been strongly considering a clear bra. Do you have recommendations regarding the areas that should be covered? i.e. some of the hood, bumpers etc. The price can get quite high for more coverage (as high as $2000 according to one person I spoke with few weeks ago).

Thanks for your insight and help
Hi Ry...

I got your PM too. Yes I do have some input and would be glad to share.

Essentially, you want to cover up the surfaces that will more than likely be prone to rocks and other debris that could cause a permanent chip on your paint. 90% of the time, the most common "must-do's" are:

Hood (1/3 of the way up, or full hood)
Front bumper (full)
Front fenders, left and right (partial, lines up with edge of 1/3 film on hood)
Mirrors (vertical face only)

If you have the above done, you can be "done" and will protect you from 90% of chips. If you want to go more, here's other spots that I recommend (which I have/had done before)

A-pillars (go up to where the structure goes horizontal)
Roof (just cover the first 3 inches or so from the windshield)
Inside door handles (prevents fingernail scratches - i.e. from my wife)
Rear quarter panel, right behind rear wheels (prevents rock chips from flinging debris when you do burnouts )

IMO, door edge guards are NOT necessary. If you are a person that is already getting clear bra in the first place, chances are you are not worried about dinging someone, but more so getting dinged FROM someone. Door edge guards are not only ugly but prevent YOU from dinging SOMEONE else. I told my installer to do the inside door handles instead.

So there you have it. I hope that helped.

Btw, $2000 bucks?!?!?!?!? What are they doing? The ENTIRE car wrapped in film? That is way too much. For all the stuff I mentioned above, that should be about 700 - 1000 tops.

Also btw, update: For those of you wondering whether or not we can polish/buff the clear bra, the answer is still mixed, but I heard from some pros that you still have to be careful because you can polish the top layer off, which contains the UV protective agents/film. Which means, harmful UV rays can enter the clear bra and harm your paint over time. So essentially, what I'm saying is, I don't think it's worth polishing it out. I can live with the minor swirls on my clear bra, and NOT on my paint. But it's up to you guys.... your car, your choice.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/5/12 at 01:20 PM.
Old 4/5/12 | 02:19 PM

Thank you so much.
Old 4/12/12 | 07:33 PM

Xpel > 3M

Those swirls dont need to be there. He didn't use enough lubricating fluid. The Xpel brand is self healing. Even if you scratch it up, leave it in the sun and the molecules realign.

https://themustangsource.com/f802/xp...0/#post6313228