Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

ClearBra and Tint plus Boss Coil Covers installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/12, 06:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
ClearBra and Tint plus Boss Coil Covers installed!!!

Alright folks... as promised, here are some pics of what I had done to Marilyn in the last few days. Stupid weather here (I admit I jinxed it...lol) caused me to delay the install until the skies cleared up somewhat. So Thursday last week was the ONLY day of the week that didn't have rain or light snow flurries. Luckily the roads were dry, so I proceeded to go to my appointment to get the clearbra and tint installed. THANK GOODNESS! Now I can finally drive my car on the highway hahahahahaha... with no fear of chips.

Mixed in along with that, I went and ordered the Boss Coil Covers... I was tempted to order the body colored special custom ones, but decided against it. I wanted the Ford Blue to stick out a bit more, esp at car shows, hence why I went with it.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with the clear bra results. My new installer was great. Lines and edges are all lined up. No bubbles. No peeling. It was the best install I've seen (had it done twice in prior cars). The brand was 3M. Lifetime warranty (as long as I own the car) through my guy.
What I had done:
hood
front bumper (I love the 3 piece of this... it ends right on the crease of where the vertical meets the horizontal surface of the front bumper...can't even see it!)
mirrors
a-pillars (custom cut)
front fenders
inner door handles (love this one. No more fingernails scratches from my wife opening the door, or from anyone else for that matter)

Tint was also done by him. We went with Llumar for tint. I like it better than 3M, tint-wise. 35% fronts, then 20% everywhere else. I just love the new look. It totally transforms it.

Only thing about the clearbra install, some minor swirls and marring was unavoidable. He had to wipe and scrape (using his MF towels and silicone blade) to get the film to lay flat... so swirls were apparent in the areas closest to the edge of the film. Also, bless his heart, I believe he proceeded to wipe down certain areas of the car that he thought was dirty. Of course, minor swirling came from that (see my Car Detailing 101 thread for further details as to WHY these swirls happen). But that's ok, I whipped out my buffer, and carefully taped the edges of the film so as not to hit it with it. Just about 4 hours worth of work, and it's all good now.

Anyways, enough of me rambling... here are some pics. Forgive the quality and state of the car, yes it's still dirty with dust and some water droplet dry etches (not permanent) from him doing the install. If you look closely you can see the dirt It will get detailed this week. Tuesday, 61degs for a high... By the way, to ANYONE contemplating ClearBra, DO SO. NOW. That is by far the single, best, AND first mod, you should do. Once you get a rock chip, it's permanent...

In the pic above, do you notice the swirls and marring on the film surface itself??? That's ok... at least it's NOT on your paint!!! These film swirls are unavoidable due to the repeated wiping by the installer using dirty towels/alcohol filled towels and the silicone blade. Remember my comment on these in my Car Detailing 101 thread???

^^^ This might be my favorite clearbra portion

And here are the Coil Covers pics. Love these too. Install took 5 minutes or less. Worthy eye candy for cheap.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/4/12 at 07:04 AM.
Old 3/4/12, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just love that color. Did you get the whole hood done?
Old 3/4/12, 08:45 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by alcarames
I just love that color. Did you get the whole hood done?
Thanks man! No... Just 1/3 of the way up. Not necessary for whole hood.
Old 3/4/12, 09:23 AM
V6 Member

Thumbs up

Your car keeps getting better, looks great!
Old 3/4/12, 09:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap there's snow on the ground and she's out!! The tint looks good! I have an appointment on the 14th for mine and still can't decide if I want 20% all around or a little lighter. I really wish I did the clear bra too, but it's too late for me. Wait till you see my latest fiasco with my hood, I'll post up a new thread with pics when I can get some decent ones in the daylight.

You know if you decide to paint those coil covers you can get a kona rattle can for like $15. If you need the link to the place that sells them let me know.
Old 3/4/12, 11:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks awesome!!! I decided against the clear bra.

Painting coil covers sucks!!! Lol
Old 3/4/12, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I knew you would jinx us!!!! If you don't mind me asking what does it cost to have the clear bra added?

My birthday is next Sunday....hoping for good weather so maybe I can take mine out.....have not driven it since November 25th...
Old 3/4/12, 03:15 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Hytek
Holy crap there's snow on the ground and she's out!! The tint looks good! I have an appointment on the 14th for mine and still can't decide if I want 20% all around or a little lighter. I really wish I did the clear bra too, but it's too late for me. Wait till you see my latest fiasco with my hood, I'll post up a new thread with pics when I can get some decent ones in the daylight.

You know if you decide to paint those coil covers you can get a kona rattle can for like $15. If you need the link to the place that sells them let me know.
Thanks John. Yeah please send me that link for that rattle can spray paint. If I don't use it for the coil covers, I'll use it as touch up paint for other parts.

As for the snow on the ground, that came down in the last couple days, so when I drove it for the clear bra apptmnt, it was clear out and roads were clean. And in that pic above, I just backed it out of the garage to the driveway for pics.

So what happened to your hood? That doesn't sound good. And as for the clear bra, it's never too late. If you add it on now, it will prevent any future chips.

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Looks awesome!!! I decided against the clear bra.

Painting coil covers sucks!!! Lol
Thx man.. yeah no coil cover painting for me. I am sticking with the ford blue boss covers.

Originally Posted by JCStang
I knew you would jinx us!!!! If you don't mind me asking what does it cost to have the clear bra added?

My birthday is next Sunday....hoping for good weather so maybe I can take mine out.....have not driven it since November 25th...
Thanks JC. Np at all. The cost varies via installers and locations. But usually, for my package, it will cost between 600 - 900 bucks. Just depends on how well you can wheel and deal. If I were you, I'd get one. It should be the first mod we all do. And btw, sorry for jinxing our weather.... lol

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/4/12 at 03:18 PM.
Old 3/4/12, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Looks good pal, I am getting tinted on the 13th. Was going to do 35 all the way around, but may do the 20 on the rear three after seeing yours.
Old 3/4/12, 06:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice. Next mod needs to be sound tube delete.
Old 3/4/12, 06:16 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks good
Old 3/4/12, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will never understand dumb license plate frames. :justdumb:
Old 3/4/12, 07:08 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by orpheus
Looks good pal, I am getting tinted on the 13th. Was going to do 35 all the way around, but may do the 20 on the rear three after seeing yours.
Thanks orph. Yeah, definitely go darker on the rear 3. No law in wisconsin for rear 3 right? Probably same here.

Hey, btw, do you have updated pics of the new (2nd) ride?

Originally Posted by dmhines
Nice. Next mod needs to be sound tube delete.
You know, I am trying to read more and more on this. I wish I could hear someone closeby who has done this mod so I can hear the difference before actually doing it.

Originally Posted by 07S197
Car looks good
Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I will never understand dumb license plate frames. :justdumb:
I will never understand dumb posts unrelated to the topic at hand. :justdumb:
Old 3/4/12, 07:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My GT500 mufflers are pretty loud. Wouldn't hear a sound tube anyway. I'm sure yours growl pretty good too.
Old 3/4/12, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks awesome! Just had clear bra installed on my boss last week, wish I would have thought of the door pockets, good idea.
Old 3/4/12, 07:26 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by dmhines
My GT500 mufflers are pretty loud. Wouldn't hear a sound tube anyway. I'm sure yours growl pretty good too.
btw, thanks for the props,dmhines.

Yeah, I love my GT500 mufflers. Am still debating removing the res's... we'll see. Might not be needed.

But yeah, I love driving with the windows down lol....

Originally Posted by 96lasersnake
Looks awesome! Just had clear bra installed on my boss last week, wish I would have thought of the door pockets, good idea.
Yeah, they were going to do door edge guards (the ones where they put a vertical film down the edge of the door). But I told to do the door pockets instead... because the door edges are stupid IMO. They help the ding-er, not the ding-ee. LOL. Besides, I won't be the one doing the dinging... I park far and away from anyone. Other people WANT to park by me because they know I will never ding anyone... now protecting my car on the other hand, that's harder...
Old 3/4/12, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your car looks great. Thanks for sharing all those pics. Love those Boss coil covers.
Old 3/4/12, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thanks man! No... Just 1/3 of the way up. Not necessary for whole hood.
Thats what i have, i just couldn't see the line in the last picture.
Old 3/4/12, 08:41 PM
GT Member

The car in my avatar is the 2nd. I did put some pics up in the thread called roush rear springs installed. I need to do a photo-shoot but we just got nailed with over a foot of new snow! Btw, I also have the gt500 axle backs and I did the sound tube delete. Couldn't tell the difference. I had two other people who had ridden in the car before and after who when asked couldn't tell the difference either. Maybe with stock exhaust it would be noticeable, but I think it is mostly a cosmetic mod.
Old 3/5/12, 07:26 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by redneb
Your car looks great. Thanks for sharing all those pics. Love those Boss coil covers.
Thanks and np at all redneb. Yeah, those coil covers are growing on me. I am starting to really really like them...esp when I pop open the hood to charge the battery or just detail the engine. It catches the eye immediately, which is what I wanted it to do.

Originally Posted by alcarames
Thats what i have, i just couldn't see the line in the last picture.
How are you liking yours? Yeah, not seeing the line is a good thing. If you zoom in on my pics, you can see it. Even the swirling and marring on the film

Yeah, in my experience with clear bras over the years, esp on my toy cars, they don't get daily driven, so the dirt and debris never really get a chance to embed itself on the leading and trailing edges of the clear bra film. This helps keep it clean over the years. Just have to be careful when applying waxes or sealants. The film only gets sealants. Then when applying nubas to the paint surface, I have to be very careful when using the applicator to apply right close to the line. If I feel ambitious, I use painters tape before detailing....and tape off all the film lines.

Originally Posted by orpheus
The car in my avatar is the 2nd. I did put some pics up in the thread called roush rear springs installed. I need to do a photo-shoot but we just got nailed with over a foot of new snow! Btw, I also have the gt500 axle backs and I did the sound tube delete. Couldn't tell the difference. I had two other people who had ridden in the car before and after who when asked couldn't tell the difference either. Maybe with stock exhaust it would be noticeable, but I think it is mostly a cosmetic mod.
hmmmm... that's a good point. Maybe I'll just leave mine on then. What link did you use for steps to follow/take for the sound tube delete?

And orph, can you send me link to your roush springs thread? I'd love to see.

Quick Reply: ClearBra and Tint plus Boss Coil Covers installed!!!