Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/13, 10:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Black wheels

Why does everyone have them on their 2010-2014 mustang? I was looking through new wheel threads, trying to get ideas of what wheels I like...and they were almost all black wheels. I guess I'm just not a fan of wheels that are darker than your tires...looks weird to me. What do you all think?

Has anyone chromed or polished the factory brembo wheels?

Anyway...I don't intend to offend anyone, I've just never been a big fan of black wheels.
Old 8/3/13, 05:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just seems to be the in thing right now. I'm considering charcoal just bc my 2012 has so much with the charcoal trim at the bottom. Though my silver factory wheels are a nice contrast with the race red and charcoal. And it's not just with the 2010-2014 mustangs. I'm on Camaro5 and its on the Gen 5 Camaros too.
Old 8/3/13, 06:11 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan S.
Why does everyone have them on their 2010-2014 mustang? I was looking through new wheel threads, trying to get ideas of what wheels I like...and they were almost all black wheels. I guess I'm just not a fan of wheels that are darker than your tires...looks weird to me. What do you all think?

Has anyone chromed or polished the factory brembo wheels?

Anyway...I don't intend to offend anyone, I've just never been a big fan of black wheels.
Same.... Black wheels work for some folks.... For me I prefer gunmetal rims. Just a taste thing... No wrong or right.
Old 8/3/13, 06:19 AM

Also, if you're lazy like me... darker wheels tend to not show brake dust as much.
Old 8/3/13, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't get it either. I have the 'black chrome' on my Challenger (so gunmetal really), and still can't get used to it.

I've seen a couple Camaros with a black wheel that looks exactly like a car from the old days with the hubcap missing. Or the used black rims folks would pick up to keep the snow tires on.
Old 8/3/13, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put the American Muscle charcoal 19X8.5s on my Performance White 12GT vert. This is the 12 Shelby style wheel. I don't like black wheels either but the charcoal is different. Definitely gives the car more attitude and it does blend nicely with the black top and lower body cladding.
Old 8/3/13, 07:12 AM
GT Member

Its really a matter of personal preference. Some people like them, some don't, and some are indifferent. Get what you like.

If you want something in-between, how about the brembo package wheels (grey semigloss metallic)? You can often pick them up for a reasonable price when someone trades out their stock wheels.
Old 8/3/13, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

I went through three sets of wheels before I put on my current chromed wheels. I have a set of "gunmetal gray" wheels - from a 2011 MCA Mustang - that I will run in the winter, with all weather tires. This is my daily driver and "winter road salt" is pretty tough on chromed wheels. Steeda has some nice chrome wheels that fit over the Brembo brakes.
Attached Thumbnails Black wheels-aug1a.jpg  

Last edited by radioguy1; 8/3/13 at 10:13 AM.
Old 8/3/13, 09:21 AM
GTR Member

Yup, black is the "in" thing, almost like belly buttons, everyone has them.

Not my cup of tea either. Why be like everyone else?

Now, a polished/chrome/silver or whatever wheel with black accents is a different story, some I like some I don't.

I wasn't a big fan of the Brembo wheels at first, but now that I own a Mustang with them on it I definitely do like them and the "Dark Titanium" color looks really good on a black car.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/3/13 at 09:23 AM.
Old 8/3/13, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't do the "in thing". I do what I like and what I think looks good on the car. If everyone else happens to like it (or not), I really don't give a rat's ***.

So, you're not a fan of black wheels - don't put them on your car.
Old 8/3/13, 09:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Not black in the strict sense of the color, Weld RTS series ( black )
Name:  MemorialDay2013010.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  158.7 KB
Old 8/3/13, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

my car came from Ford with black wheels figured when I changed them I'd stay black.
Old 8/3/13, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by thebms
Its really a matter of personal preference. Some people like them, some don't, and some are indifferent. Get what you like.

If you want something in-between, how about the brembo package wheels (grey semigloss metallic)? You can often pick them up for a reasonable price when someone trades out their stock wheels.
I currently have the Brembo wheels...I love the wheel design, and the smoked/shaded appearance has started to grow on me a bit. But I wonder how nice they would look polished with no tinting or possibly chromed. To be honest though, I think they might look bad chromed, but I haven't seen it before.

Originally Posted by wannabe
I don't get it either. I have the 'black chrome' on my Challenger (so gunmetal really), and still can't get used to it.

I've seen a couple Camaros with a black wheel that looks exactly like a car from the old days with the hubcap missing. Or the used black rims folks would pick up to keep the snow tires on.
Yeah, I believe you are referring to that base model black hubcap style wheel. Looks terrible to me. Black wheels make me think of an old car with steel wheels and missing hubcaps.

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Yup, black is the "in" thing, almost like belly buttons, everyone has them.

Not my cup of tea either. Why be like everyone else?

Now, a polished/chrome/silver or whatever wheel with black accents is a different story, some I like some I don't.

I wasn't a big fan of the Brembo wheels at first, but now that I own a Mustang with them on it I definitely do like them and the "Dark Titanium" color looks really good on a black car.
Yeah it seems like black wheels have been the in thing since like 2006 or so.

I just think chrome or polished alloy is a more timeless look. I really like the five spoke base GT wheels, but just wish they were 19's instead of 18's.
Old 8/3/13, 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

oh and i wouldn't put chrome anything on my car or any car. but thankfully we can do whatever we want.
Old 8/3/13, 01:44 PM
GT Member

It is personal choice. I guess SOME chrome wheels don't look too bad (ie: the Shelby wheels) but I do prefer the "racer" look and less "bling". Chrome also has is downfalls with weight, pitting and if you accidentally curb your wheels you can't cover it with a little touch-up paint. Polished wheels would be a good alternative but keeping them looking good is like having a second job.
Old 8/3/13, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car came from the factory with em. Part of the FP6 package.
Old 8/3/13, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I happen to like black or dark gray wheels on most of the new Mustangs. I also love that brake dust is well hidden with the dark wheels too
Old 8/3/13, 07:52 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by jsimmons
I don't do the "in thing". I do what I like and what I think looks good on the car. If everyone else happens to like it (or not), I really don't give a rat's ***.
So, you're not a fan of black wheels - don't put them on your car.
BINGO!!!
I would like to get a killer set of black wheels for my Roush someday.
Old 8/3/13, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's Brittany with her new shoes.
Attached Thumbnails Black wheels-image-3633244093.jpg  
Old 8/3/13, 07:58 PM

I prefer chrome or bright aluminum wheels. I guess it may be that when I was a kid most cars had hub caps instead of aluminum wheels. If your wheels were black then it meant you lost your hub caps. Not usually a good thing.

Everybody has different tastes and ideas. That's why we each customize a bit different. I say go for whatever makes it "your" Mustang.

Quick Reply: Black wheels