Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Best New Hood Options

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/18, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Yeah I’m already dreading drilling holes. . . . .
ummm, yeah for sure . . . I would be a lot more concerned about the depth than the exact location!

the resin that's used in the carbon fiber composite should be good for at least 200 F before it distorts, but I guess it could get up into that temperature range sitting still with a hot engine
Old 3/8/18, 05:15 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
ummm, yeah for sure . . . I would be a lot more concerned about the depth than the exact location!
For the hood liner: I just wrapped some electrical tape around my drill bit as a simple depth gauge. Yes, the locations themselves were quite easy.

The hood pins: more comlicated by far. You have to drill first from the bottom (inside of hood) up, and start with a pilot hole then progressively larger bits. Then you have to come down through the top of the hood. Kind of hard to describe, but it's not exactly a straight thru hole...your hood swings open in a bit of a radius.

There were plenty of good resources on the net for this, including Ring Brothers, who I got the hood pins from. You install the pins to the body first, then put a dab of grease on top of them and lower the hood...that marks your starting location.....

Last edited by Dean Martin; 3/8/18 at 06:12 AM.
Old 3/8/18, 05:38 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
For the hood liner: I just wrapped some electrical tape around my drill bit as a simple depth gauge. Yes, the locations themselves were quite easy.

The hood pins: more comlicated by far. You have to drill first from the bottom (inside of hood) up, and start with a pilot hold then progressively larger bits. Then you have to come down through the top of the hood. Kind of hard to describe, but it's not exactly a straight thru hole...your hood swings open in a bit of a radius.

There were plenty of good resources on the net for this, including Ring Brothers, who I got the hood pins from. You install the pins to the body first, then put a dab of grease on top of them and lower the hood...that marks your starting location.....
Here's a good vid explaining the process. I'll probably watch this a hundred times before I attempt it. While I like the look and will end up installing them, I'm not quite sure they're needed. Just because the new hood is so light?

Old 3/8/18, 06:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VidPro
I'm not quite sure they're needed. Just because the new hood is so light?

No, its not the weight of the hood that matters. Your OEM hood has the striker bar screwed into tapped holes on a metal hood. 100% metal to metal connction.

Your new CF hood has metal inserts (nuts) that are glued into the carbon fiber. Your striker screws into these. Much more likely for there to be a seperation between the metal nut and the carbon fiber....at which point your hood flys up and destroys your windshield, maybe roof sheet metal, maybe the guys car behind you.

Really, I don't know how often it happens, but I didn't want to chance it.
The following users liked this post:
VidPro (3/8/18)
Old 3/8/18, 06:13 AM
Legacy Tms Member

No, its not the weight of the hood that matters. Your OEM hood has the striker bar screwed into tapped holes on a metal hood. 100% metal to metal connction.

Your new CF hood has metal inserts (nuts) that are glued into the carbon fiber. Your striker screws into these. Much more likely for there to be a seperation between the metal nut and the carbon fiber....at which point your hood flys up and destroys your windshield, maybe roof sheet metal, maybe the guys car behind you.

Really, I don't know how often it happens, but I didn't want to chance it.
Ah oh that makes sense. Gotta find some pins I like now.
Old 3/8/18, 06:17 AM
GT Member

Ohh, and the locating of the hood pins can be a bit problematic. Note where mine are, out by the headlights. Note where they are on that Drake video..closer in to the middle.

You only have a few available locations where they can mount to the metal radiator/front support of the car, but you have to pay attention to the ridges, vents, etc on your particular hood to make sure it's a good match.
Old 3/8/18, 08:24 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I can't believe it's taking this long to pick hood pins. I've settled on these so far but have no clue where to mount them yet.

http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=2962
Old 3/19/18, 11:39 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Hood scheduled for a delivery on Wednesday. Gawd I despise freight companies. Worst so far is YRC. Be warned if you ever have to deal with these jokers.
Old 3/20/18, 08:31 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Do like the GT500 better than many, but a Super Snake style is pretty sweet! Not sure about that fiber one, but do like the SS look.
Old 3/21/18, 08:25 AM
Legacy Tms Member

So of course the freight company promises to call me with a thirty minute warning so I can be home and inspect it before accepting it and guess what? They call, but to tell me that they left it on porch unattended. I rush home and find this. Box is a mess and open and not sitting right side up. The hood inside, while wrapped, is just floating so I have no clue if it was dropped and damaged. I didn't have time to look at it and I want to wait for Andy's Auto to cal and advise me what to do.
Attached Thumbnails Best New Hood Options-img_0466-2-.jpg   Best New Hood Options-img_0465-2-.jpg   Best New Hood Options-img_0464-2-.jpg  
Old 3/21/18, 05:20 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ohh, and the locating of the hood pins can be a bit problematic. Note where mine are, out by the headlights. Note where they are on that Drake video..closer in to the middle.

You only have a few available locations where they can mount to the metal radiator/front support of the car, but you have to pay attention to the ridges, vents, etc on your particular hood to make sure it's a good match.
So got the hood. Not happy with the shipping company. I unwrapped it with a friend. There are some imperfections on the edges that don’t seem so bad and will be hidden when closed. The bummer is there’s a scratch, not deep, that looks like a scuff and not familiar with carbon fiber and if it can be buffed out. Otherwise it’s beautiful. Am I being too picky?
Attached Thumbnails Best New Hood Options-65175f58-5fd2-4a60-9478-a09ae983c649.jpeg  

Last edited by VidPro; 3/22/18 at 05:44 AM.
Old 3/24/18, 10:24 AM
JG1
V6 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That looks nice. How big is the scratch?

I'm waiting on my hood from cervini. I ordered the cobra r hood. Thankfully I'm having them install it so I will be inspecting for any imperfections before I leave.
Old 3/24/18, 10:38 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by JG1
That looks nice. How big is the scratch?

I'm waiting on my hood from cervini. I ordered the cobra r hood. Thankfully I'm having them install it so I will be inspecting for any imperfections before I leave.
It’s about 5” long front to back. I’m not sure if it’s a scuff of deeper since I didn’t have a lot of time with it on the table. I’m pretty sure a body shop (I’m too chicken) could sand it out if needed. I’ll give it a go with some polish and a DA to see if I can remove it.

The good thing is that Andy’s Autosport is discounting it for my troubles so that’ll help. That tells me they’re a good place to keep shopping for parts.

Good luck with your hood!

Last edited by VidPro; 3/24/18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 3/24/18, 10:42 AM
JG1
V6 Member

You can probably work it out by hand with some Fine cut #2.

You are not painting the hood, correct?
VidPro (3/24/18)
Old 3/24/18, 10:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by JG1
You can probably work it out by hand with some Fine cut #2.

You are not painting the hood, correct?
No paint. Always loved carbon fiber and figured I might as well go big for my first piece.

I might even replace the rear spoiler with carbon fiber to finish off the look. What I like about it on the sterling grey is that it won’t be a big contrast.
Old 3/24/18, 11:06 AM
JG1
V6 Member

Nice. Post a few pics when you get it on. Can't wait to see it.
VidPro (3/25/18)
Old 3/24/18, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
To follow up on JG1's comment, you might just check with the manufacturer about clear coat care. I'm guessing it's the same as any clear coated paint and you could then treat it the same.
VidPro (3/25/18)
Old 3/25/18, 03:25 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
To follow up on JG1's comment, you might just check with the manufacturer about clear coat care. I'm guessing it's the same as any clear coated paint and you could then treat it the same.
I sent Carbon Creations an email asking them about it. Hopefully they respond or I’ll give them a call this week. Next Saturday if the snow is gone and the weather cooperates, I’ll be installing it.
Old 3/31/18, 09:51 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I had to abort the install. I had my friend here this morning. We took the OEM hood off and prepped the car for the replacement.

I didn’t think to study the hood because I was assured by Andy’s that the new hood had all factory openings for a direct fit. This hood had no cutout for washers sprayers and to top it all off the hood screws that are from the factory had one cross threaded. Absolute nightmare. Not only that the damage on the edge from shipping that didn’t look too bad inside under lights took on a whole new look once in the sun.

It looks like this will get worse over time. Completely bummed out. Waiting to hear from Andy’s about what I ca do.
Attached Thumbnails Best New Hood Options-9ba55ebd-8e3b-45dd-bf97-90c226516533.jpeg  
Old 3/31/18, 01:27 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Gorgeous hood! That ding is a bit nasty, hope your vendor or shipper step-up and make this right!

Quick Reply: Best New Hood Options