Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Best New Hood Options

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/18, 07:14 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Best New Hood Options

So the dreaded hood bubbles/hood rot is now cropping up on the front of my hood. I had the seams done and those are holding strong, but there's no way I am going to to take a chance on another paint job.

So my plan is to buy a carbon fiber hood to replace my OEM hood. Any recommendations on where to buy? I know Trufiber is one option but not a fan of the styles they are selling.

I actually like the OEM hood style and found this place that has a fiber version. I'm just not sure of this company and its reputation.

http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?m...4961aada6b1de7

I love this hood but I'm not sure I want a GT 500 hood on a GT and it's a bit more than I want to spend.

https://andersoncomposites.com/colle...mustang-gt-5-0

Any help will be appreciated. Mustang season is almost here and I'm ready to hit the road after a long winter.
Old 3/2/18, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry about your hood.
The following users liked this post:
VidPro (3/7/18)
Old 3/5/18, 10:25 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Sorry about your hood.
Yeah it sucks. If I thought a shop could fix and paint it so won't happen again I'd keep it.
Old 3/6/18, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Yeah it sucks. If I thought a shop could fix and paint it so won't happen again I'd keep it.
I have this same sentiment. Both body shops in town I've used and trust say that they can permanently fix the corrosion regardless of what I've read online. One of them has a lifetime warranty on their workmanship. If it happens to me (fingers crossed it doesn't), my plan is to let them fix it as many times as I need them to or until they fire me as a customer. Maybe you have a body shop around with a lifetime warranty?
Old 3/6/18, 10:03 AM
Legacy Tms Member

The owner of the one shop I really trust (they do a lot of custom work) told me last night they can't guarantee the work since he feels that any tiny speck withing the seam wil cause it to happen again. Bummer. Good luck and hope they can get for a while in your case.
Old 3/7/18, 05:29 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had a VIS carbon fiber on my 2012 for about 2 years now, still looks nice. Fit was good, and as I recall it was under $850 shipped. For the 2012 it was an exact copy of the OEM hood which I really liked....except for the crap bubbling paint.

Can't remember where I got it, but it was a place that mostly specialized in Camaro parts, many guys there had good reviews on VIS for their cars so I pulled the trigger.

Drove it about 2 weeks before I installed hood pins, which I would not go without. It easily accepted the factory heat insulation pad, as well as the factory windshield washer lines etc. which was important to me.
Attached Thumbnails Best New Hood Options-img_1342.jpg  
VidPro (3/7/18)
Old 3/7/18, 05:36 AM
Legacy Tms Member

That looks really nice!

Just checked their site. OEM style is almost $1700. This really annoys me to no end. I shouldn't have to pay out this kind of cash for a replacement hood because Ford screwed up!
Old 3/7/18, 06:27 AM
GT Member

Go check Andy's Autosport. Mine is listed as $746 without shipping.
VidPro (3/7/18)
Old 3/7/18, 06:37 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Thanks! They do have good prices. They don't have an OEM style, but the 3" cowl hood has my eye. Had one on my 2000 GT and liked it a lot. Not sure I dig it on the 2014. Gonna have to stare at it of a day. Price is right though!
Attached Thumbnails Best New Hood Options-739922_10202484897578564_1157617821_o_zpsdd768a0f.jpg  

Last edited by VidPro; 3/7/18 at 06:45 AM.
Old 3/7/18, 07:07 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Or this...Hmmm
Attached Thumbnails Best New Hood Options-ed_109260_1.jpg  
Old 3/7/18, 07:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I really like the look of that hood for the same reasons as you. Is that finished and ready to go on the car?

If so, that is probably quite a bit less than a paint shop would charge to repaint the factory hood.

I'd prefer not to have hood pins but if they are necessary then I guess I could live with them.
Old 3/7/18, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I really like the look of that hood for the same reasons as you. Is that finished and ready to go on the car?

If so, that is probably quite a bit less than a paint shop would charge to repaint the factory hood.

I'd prefer not to have hood pins but if they are necessary then I guess I could live with them.

Yep...ready to go. Neighbor and I pulled the old hood, transferred the striker, and installed and adjusted the new one in about an hour.

I agree on the hood pins. I preferred the clean lines without. The new VIS hood has the nuts for the striker bolts imbedded in the carbon fiber, but you are taking a chance of them pulling out and a catastrophe. Perhaps some time spent on reinforcing, or investigating the option for hidden/stealth pins or Quick-latch style that are a bit less noticeable.

All in all the pins came out looking pretty good and retro, get some nice compliments from time to time and I never really think about them anymore...
Attached Thumbnails Best New Hood Options-img_1338.jpg  
Old 3/7/18, 09:18 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I happen to like the retro look of the pins. Will I be able to install my redline hood lifts with the new hood.

By the way, I decided on the GT 500 style to order. I'm afraid a 3" cowl might annoy me from the driver's seat.
Old 3/7/18, 09:36 AM
GT Member

I happen to like the retro look of the pins. Will I be able to install my redline hood lifts with the new hood.

By the way, I decided on the GT 500 style to order. I'm afraid a 3" cowl might annoy me from the driver's seat.

I think the GT500 style is sweet, definately better than the cowl.

Not sure on the redline lifts, you'll have to see if enough meat is there for them. I'm on the factory hinges and prop rod...my VIS hood has a hole for the prop.
Old 3/7/18, 09:39 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I think the GT500 style is sweet, definately better than the cowl.

Not sure on the redline lifts, you'll have to see if enough meat is there for them. I'm on the factory hinges and prop rod...my VIS hood has a hole for the prop.
Ok great. I can go back to the prop if I have to. I've been going back and forth with them through email. Probably order today to get in on the sale price.
Old 3/7/18, 10:01 AM
Legacy Tms Member

ORDERED! It's almost Mustang season!

Thanks for the help.
Old 3/7/18, 12:01 PM
GT Member

Carbon fiber should look great with your Sterling Gray car! Hope it all works out, look forward to the pics.

BTW if I remember, there was a bit of a trick to removing the factory washer fluid sprayers/hoses...can't remember but they are on long "stalks" between the hood panels I think. Anyway, research it a bit and go slow....I had to buy a replacement part because I broke mine in my haste to get the new hood on.
Old 3/7/18, 12:25 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Carbon fiber should look great with your Sterling Gray car! Hope it all works out, look forward to the pics.

BTW if I remember, there was a bit of a trick to removing the factory washer fluid sprayers/hoses...can't remember but they are on long "stalks" between the hood panels I think. Anyway, research it a bit and go slow....I had to buy a replacement part because I broke mine in my haste to get the new hood on.
I think it will too.

Thanks for the info.

They emailed and told me that the hood lifts can be used, but because the hood is so light they might be too much for the hood so I'll probably stick with the prop. Is the hood insulation put back on the new hood?
Old 3/7/18, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Is the hood insulation put back on the new hood?
Yes, you can and I would & did. Can't imagine heat would be good for the looks of the carbon fiber over time. I think that there were "flats" molded into the underside of the hood in all the locations of the factory push in fasteners, but that I had to drill the holes. All of the drilling, including the holes for the hood pins was a bit nerve racking, but slow and steady and it's all good.

I bet I measured about 15 times for the hood pin holes
Old 3/7/18, 02:45 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Yes, you can and I would & did. Can't imagine heat would be good for the looks of the carbon fiber over time. I think that there were "flats" molded into the underside of the hood in all the locations of the factory push in fasteners, but that I had to drill the holes. All of the drilling, including the holes for the hood pins was a bit nerve racking, but slow and steady and it's all good.

I bet I measured about 15 times for the hood pin holes
Yeah I’m already dreading drilling holes. I’ll have a buddy to help check and recheck and then check again any measurements.

Can’t wait to install it on the car.

Quick Reply: Best New Hood Options