Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

ANOTHER Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/11, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER Wheel Question

Dear Wheel-O-Philes,
I am wondering what wheel/tire combination would fill up the wheel wells to give less fender gap, and also look "proper". From my understanding, could you potentially have a higher profile tire with a 20" rim? I have been looking at Weld's, and thinking if I get a 15" or 17" wheel, and a taller tire, how would that compare to a 20" rim with lowpro tires? Is there a calculator tool on the web that can figure this that you know of? There are myriad combinations of wheels and tires out there, and I have zero knowledge to even make it worth my time.
If we have a thread with wheel/tire sizes, widths, offsets, weights, and types that work on our '11's hit me up with that info.

I will not be lowering my car, FYI.

Thanks in advance!
Old 4/9/11, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way to reduce wheel gap and look "proper" is to lower the car, but I see that's not an option for you.

Keep in mind that a taller tire is going to raise the car... and it will look even more awkward.
Old 4/9/11, 10:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
And also potentially rub somewhere, depending on things. Not straight, but in a turn.
Old 4/10/11, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by houtex
And also potentially rub somewhere, depending on things. Not straight, but in a turn.

OP, what's your main concern about lowering the car? A simple drop with Steeda Sport springs will make a huge difference in appearance without really hurting the clearance of the already very high Mustang.
Old 4/10/11, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang

OP, what's your main concern about lowering the car? A simple drop with Steeda Sport springs will make a huge difference in appearance without really hurting the clearance of the already very high Mustang.
Two recent back surgeries, which I am really struggling recovering from. I do not want to harden the ride quality whatsoever. Every bump or crack in the road is unpleasant enough already.

Either way, I like the classic look of the Weld's but not a lot of folks here seem to have them for street use. I am thinking it would look pretty sick if I got a bigger tire out back to lift the rear a tad with a wide tread on it.
Old 4/10/11, 02:30 PM
GTR Member

1" FRPP springs + a 19x9.5 front and 19x10" rear wheel should do the trick. I don't think you'll be able to get it otherwise without dropping the car. A progressive spring should help minimize a deterioration in ride quality.

If you're worried about ride, try to find someone with the same setup as you'd like and ride along. You should know pretty quick whether you'd be able to deal with it.
Old 4/10/11, 04:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by brewsky54
Two recent back surgeries, which I am really struggling recovering from. I do not want to harden the ride quality whatsoever. Every bump or crack in the road is unpleasant enough already.

Either way, I like the classic look of the Weld's but not a lot of folks here seem to have them for street use. I am thinking it would look pretty sick if I got a bigger tire out back to lift the rear a tad with a wide tread on it.
If you do go to such a small rim like the Welds you have to be willing to give up just about all of your car's handling ability.

I think your best bet would be to follow Overboost's suggestion. A progressive spring shouldn't hurt ride quality much at all, if any.
Old 4/10/11, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
First thing I would stay away from would be a 20 inch wheel unless you want a harsh ride, for comfort an 18 would be best for your back.
Also you need to remember the tuner to correct the Speedo if you go with taller tire.
I have a .8/1.2 drop with mine with Vogtland spring and even with the Koni SRT.T struts and shocks it has a good ride, but it is a little stiffer than stock but that is more the Dampeners than the springs.
No More 4X4 look, stock wheels and tires