Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Advise needed from all convertible owners

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/13, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise needed from all convertible owners

I'm expecting my new 2014 Convertible GT500 to arrive probably in a few weeks. Since our winter tire lift here in Quebec,Canada doesn't happen before March 15 2013 I will plan for some small mods. Can any of you give me your advice on a "Styling Bar" without a third brake light.

- What brand?
- Roll over quality or not (not that I'm planning to roll it over)
- Carbon fiber?
- Install difficulty level?
- Where to order it?

Thanks for your help and any mods you may also suggest would be much appreciated. Still wondering if exhaust is worth upgrading. I hear comments that the stock ones are already very nice music to the ear.

Last edited by Crusty_2014_GT500_Conv.; 2/4/13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 2/5/13, 06:13 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Crusty_2014_GT500_Conv.
I'm expecting my new 2014 Convertible GT500 to arrive probably in a few weeks. Since our winter tire lift here in Quebec,Canada doesn't happen before March 15 2013 I will plan for some small mods. Can any of you give me your advice on a "Styling Bar" without a third brake light.

- What brand?
- Roll over quality or not (not that I'm planning to roll it over)
- Carbon fiber?
- Install difficulty level?
- Where to order it?

Thanks for your help and any mods you may also suggest would be much appreciated. Still wondering if exhaust is worth upgrading. I hear comments that the stock ones are already very nice music to the ear.
Hope this helps:

Classic Design Concepts
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/

Certainly NOT roll-over quality - appearance only

DOES include 3rd brake light, but may be available without

Carbon Fiber option available

Relatively easy install; instructions downloadable from their Web site

Available direct or from suppliers like America Muscle

Note: I have been to their facility and have seen them at several Mustang shows in the Detroit area. While at a show they will install it on-site, the process is that easy. Top notch quality and good folks - I am purchasing one for my '12 vert this April!
Old 2/5/13, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Few weeks? More like few months
Old 2/5/13, 06:52 AM
Cobra Member

You need to decide first if you just want a cosmetic 'light bar' or a real roll bar. With all that horsepower a real roll bar might be a good idea for peace of mind, and you will be able to take it to the track and other auto-cross type events. Of course the real one will be a lot more expensive and require you pay a qualified shop to install it.

You can use bing or google to search up images of 'roush convertible' to give you an idea of that style bar.
Old 2/5/13, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rando
Few weeks? More like few months
Lol...no, really a few weeks. I received my window sticker and I do have a blend date of Feb. 7th.
Old 2/5/13, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Storm75
Hope this helps:

Classic Design Concepts
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/

Certainly NOT roll-over quality - appearance only

DOES include 3rd brake light, but may be available without

Carbon Fiber option available

Relatively easy install; instructions downloadable from their Web site

Available direct or from suppliers like America Muscle

Note: I have been to their facility and have seen them at several Mustang shows in the Detroit area. While at a show they will install it on-site, the process is that easy. Top notch quality and good folks - I am purchasing one for my '12 vert this April!
Thank you Storm75. I was actually considering the America Muscle model. If I end up getting it before, I'll let you know how it went. Thanks again for the advise!
Old 2/5/13, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ace72ace
You need to decide first if you just want a cosmetic 'light bar' or a real roll bar. With all that horsepower a real roll bar might be a good idea for peace of mind, and you will be able to take it to the track and other auto-cross type events. Of course the real one will be a lot more expensive and require you pay a qualified shop to install it.

You can use bing or google to search up images of 'roush convertible' to give you an idea of that style bar.
Ace72ace, interesting...are you aware if I don't have a real roll bar on a convertible I can be declined access to private race tracks. In other words, if I intend to rent some track time for pleasure lapping purpose they may require a real roll bar for a convertible?
Old 2/5/13, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the CDC bar and love it! I actually bought mine for my '06 and back then, I had to special order it without the light... Now, it's an option...

I installed it on my '06, took it off my '06 when I sold it and recently installed it on my '13! It's not *too* hard to install, assuming you have at least a little bit of experience... I say that, cause you have to take out the rear seats and the rear side panels & drill holes in the car (only 4 small holes for some bolts and 2 holes on the top caps)... I did it myself in about an hour, maybe hour and a half. And it's a great time to clean and treat the leather on the rear seats, since they'll be out of the car...

It is definitely a styling bar and offers no rollover support.
Old 2/5/13, 03:49 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Ace72ace, interesting...are you aware if I don't have a real roll bar on a convertible I can be declined access to private race tracks. In other words, if I intend to rent some track time for pleasure lapping purpose they may require a real roll bar for a convertible?
Yep. Check with your track rules for convertibles. They may require a roll bar system in it.
Old 2/5/13, 05:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Joe, go see or call Ted at " Mustang Direct " on curé-labelle boulv. I have bought from him a few times and he knoes his stuff.

He'll point you in the right direction i'm sure.

Let us know how it went.

Dan
Old 2/5/13, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I have CDC "carbon fiber look" styling bar.....really like the look!
Old 2/5/13, 05:37 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Thank you Storm75. I was actually considering the America Muscle model. If I end up getting it before, I'll let you know how it went. Thanks again for the advise!
If you buy the CDC bar get it directly from them and advise them you don't want the CDC logo tag on it. They will do it but only if you ask and phone in the order. It looks OEM that way.

I have it on both of my verts (11 Shelby and 04 cobra).
Old 2/5/13, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by MJJ
If you buy the CDC bar get it directly from them and advise them you don't want the CDC logo tag on it. They will do it but only if you ask and phone in the order. It looks OEM that way.

I have it on both of my verts (11 Shelby and 04 cobra).
Originally Posted by rk2112
I have CDC "carbon fiber look" styling bar.....really like the look!
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Joe, go see or call Ted at " Mustang Direct " on curé-labelle boulv. I have bought from him a few times and he knoes his stuff.

He'll point you in the right direction i'm sure.

Let us know how it went.

Dan
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Yep. Check with your track rules for convertibles. They may require a roll bar system in it.
Originally Posted by Iceknyght
I have the CDC bar and love it! I actually bought mine for my '06 and back then, I had to special order it without the light... Now, it's an option...

I installed it on my '06, took it off my '06 when I sold it and recently installed it on my '13! It's not *too* hard to install, assuming you have at least a little bit of experience... I say that, cause you have to take out the rear seats and the rear side panels & drill holes in the car (only 4 small holes for some bolts and 2 holes on the top caps)... I did it myself in about an hour, maybe hour and a half. And it's a great time to clean and treat the leather on the rear seats, since they'll be out of the car...

It is definitely a styling bar and offers no rollover support.
Ok, I must admit this wonderful forum and members sharing their advise and experiences make this decision very easy. With that said, looks like I'm going for the CDC styling bar without light/Carbon fiber and a special request to not have their logo installed on it to keep it oem look as MJJ suggested.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 2/6/13, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I must admit this wonderful forum and members sharing their advise and experiences make this decision very easy. With that said, looks like I'm going for the CDC styling bar without light/Carbon fiber and a special request to not have their logo installed on it to keep it oem look as MJJ suggested.

Thanks again everyone!
Joe, in case you don't know there's a manufacturer in the Montreal area that makes those light bars. He also makes custom bars with many options.

I took mine from him, it's carbon fiber with a mustang logo on top. Very nice unit.

If you want you can even have it installed at his location.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I will give you his coordinate.

Dean