'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

20's in the rear, 18's up front. Is this a wise thing to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/11, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikona1
No need to apologize.

I am a total noob. I purchased my mustang 2 months ago. Never owned a muscle car before. Just trying to learn as quickly as possible so I don't make mistakes or waste money.

I know there are real experts on this forum and people like me can be frustrating.
Since this is your first muscle car why don't you spend some time enjoying the car just as it is. There is no rule that you have to mod that pony right out the corral. Just enjoy it for what it is, you have plenty of time to mod it.

Before you spend a dime think about what you want your car to look like, handle like, etc when it's all over then work in that direction. Foolish to buy a Boss intake when you planning to install a roots supercharger. Look at pictures of other cars in the by color section of this forum is a big help as well.

Wheels and tires have always been hard for me to decide on. I'm thinking my car would look better with black rims but I really like chrome. I'd like to have something really wide in the back but that would do me little good since there is no track within 1k miles of here that I know of. Anyway enough of my rambling, and if you need someone to bounce some ideas off of I'm always here.
Old 12/25/11, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 944withnos
The first thing that popped in my mind was "Plymouth Prowler"! They used 20's on the back and 17's up front. That is a different kind of car though. I thought that car made it work.
That was a sick car.
Old 12/25/11, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
No need to apologize.

I am a total noob. I purchased my mustang 2 months ago. Never owned a muscle car before. Just trying to learn as quickly as possible so I don't make mistakes or waste money.
In my opinion, modification is sometimes undertaken for the sake of modification without any real ideas about an end state...not saying that this is your case, just making a general statement. That situation is often the one that results in mistakes or money loss.

I know there are real experts on this forum and people like me can be frustrating.
There are many enthusiasts on this forum who have their strong opinions, but that doesn't mean it necessarily is what would work for you. Your question in this post, for example, asked "is this a wise thing to do".

If you like the aesthetics of it and can find a solution that fits within your budget so that you don't mess with your speedometer reading, ABS response, or ride comfort that is acceptable to you, it might be very wise...for you.

I will try to ask better questions in the future.
I definitely recommend searching the Modification forums to give you a frame of reference. If you don't see something that looks to address your situation, asking the question is probably well worth it, if not to do anything but to start a discussion.

Besides, other than questions that have been previously repeated, how else would anyone learn from experience without newer folks asking?
Old 12/26/11, 11:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'll never diss the 6 cylinder Mustang. As far as I'm concerned it's a sports car. PERIOD. Keep in mind the '05 GT only had 300hp and nobody was whining and calling it a chick car. I hope no one with a GT500 Cobra calls my GT a chick car, or I'll have to ask him to meet me at the track and put his money where his mouth is.