Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Whiteline Trans Insert (V6)

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/14, 03:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Whiteline Trans Insert (V6)

I know there are a few threads already on this, but I figured I'd post up for V6 owners since the other users seem to have some form of V8. There might be some differences in terms of added NVH between the motors.

There are a number of install threads/videos out there already, go check those out. Super easy to install.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. There is a bump in NVH, but it's not too bad. It's certainly noticeable, but it's not terribly unpleasant. There is a bit more vibration felt in the floor pan, and there is some low frequency noise when giving it power. The noise isn't really unpleasant, it actually makes the car sound a little meatier from inside the cabin. With the radio on and windows closed I could barely notice any increase, with the windows open I couldn't notice anything. Maybe a bit above 5K RPMs, but for normal driving it's difficult to pick out the extra noise above everything else going on.

As far as it limiting movement, it seems to do a great job of that. It seems to shift a bit more solidly now, even at low RPMs. Not a huge improvement, but for $35 it's worth it. Overall the shifter seems a bit more connected at any speed.
Old 5/15/14, 06:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket shift bracket as well? I have the Steeda bracket and it helped shifting quite a bit. I've been thinking about adding the whiteline insert as well, but not sure if it'll even help
Old 5/15/14, 08:40 AM
Cobra R Member

No, stock shifter.
Old 5/15/14, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

i installed mine a while back to try to help with the 4th gear lock out and my car still has the problem. im probably going to try to get the mgw shifter and the clutch line to see if that helps. i already have the shifter bracket which it did help a TON with my 1-2 and 2-3 shift but i still cant get it to go into 4th at the track.
Old 5/16/14, 06:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
i installed mine a while back to try to help with the 4th gear lock out and my car still has the problem. im probably going to try to get the mgw shifter and the clutch line to see if that helps. i already have the shifter bracket which it did help a TON with my 1-2 and 2-3 shift but i still cant get it to go into 4th at the track.
That's concerning, I'd take that in. I've never had a problem outside of 1-2... definitely no issue with 4th
Old 5/16/14, 10:01 AM
Cobra R Member

I've yet to have any issues getting into gear at any RPM, before or after the insert.
Old 5/16/14, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rando
That's concerning, I'd take that in. I've never had a problem outside of 1-2... definitely no issue with 4th
it only happens at the track. if im racing on the street it doesnt happen which really confuses me. it might be from the added traction at the track though.

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I've yet to have any issues getting into gear at any RPM, before or after the insert.
have you tried taking down the track and shifting into 4th? i know of a few people that have had trouble getting it into 4th at the track. there were a few there wed night that had the same problem with their 5.0's.
Old 5/16/14, 12:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I haven't been on a track yet, so no fourth gear shifts at redline. 1-3 has been real easy, though.
Old 5/16/14, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I haven't been on a track yet, so no fourth gear shifts at redline. 1-3 has been real easy, though.
yeah 1-3 shifts are perfectly fine for me. only time i ever shift into 4th in the upper rpm range is at the track though. i really need to get this 4th gear problem fixed though. i thought the whiteline insert had fixed it because it made it sooo much smoother in the upper rpm range for 1-3 but when i went to the track it was still locking me out of 4th.
Old 5/20/14, 11:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Figured I'd give a quick update, after a few days of driving the vibrations have quieted a bit. It's really only noticeable at the couple of points in the RPM band where vibrations are already present (around 2700 rpm, and once again around 2000 rpm). Just makes those vibrations a bit more noticeable. I can still notice it if I'm trying to hear it, but it just sounds like a little more engine noise.

Still very happy with it.
Old 5/20/14, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Figured I'd give a quick update, after a few days of driving the vibrations have quieted a bit. It's really only noticeable at the couple of points in the RPM band where vibrations are already present (around 2700 rpm, and once again around 2000 rpm). Just makes those vibrations a bit more noticeable. I can still notice it if I'm trying to hear it, but it just sounds like a little more engine noise.

Still very happy with it.
do you not get the dual mass flywheel deceleration vibrations with it? i do and i ordered a new aluminum flywheel and a new clutch because of it. haha.
Old 5/20/14, 11:54 PM
Cobra R Member

If that's the vibrations around 2750-2500 rpm, them yes. I don't really notice anything elsewhere, although there is ocassionally a vibration around 2000 rpm as well (doesn't last nearly as long).

I hate the dual mass flywheel (mostly because it just takes too **** long to decel at high rpms), but I'm not sure what sort of flywheel I want to get. While I'll go to a few track days, this isn't a race car and I don't want a super light flywheel. I'm not sure whether to go with an aluminum or steel flywheel. I figure either will be a huge improvement over the dual mass.
Old 5/21/14, 12:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

If that's the vibrations around 2750-2500 rpm, them yes. I don't really notice anything elsewhere, although there is ocassionally a vibration around 2000 rpm as well (doesn't last nearly as long).

I hate the dual mass flywheel (mostly because it just takes too **** long to decel at high rpms), but I'm not sure what sort of flywheel I want to get. While I'll go to a few track days, this isn't a race car and I don't want a super light flywheel. I'm not sure whether to go with an aluminum or steel flywheel. I figure either will be a huge improvement over the dual mass.
yep thats that vibration. i just ordered mine today. i was debating over the steel or the aluminum. both are lighter than stock but the ram aluminum is like 20lbs lighter and the ram steel is like 10lbs lighter. i couldnt really find much info on the spec flywheel plus i wasnt going to pay the $120 more for it versus the ram especially when theres no info for it.
Old 5/21/14, 12:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, I'll see how yours treats you to help my decision. I don't want to go too light, I don't care to try and deal with heavy traffic with a super light flywheel and all the disadvantages that come with it.
Old 5/21/14, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I'll see how yours treats you to help my decision. I don't want to go too light, I don't care to try and deal with heavy traffic with a super light flywheel and all the disadvantages that come with it.
yeah i understand that. im not normally in bad traffic where i live but from what ive read the ram aluminum clutch is pretty much the same as the stock 03-04 cobra flywheel weight wise. ive never drove one of them but it cant be that bad if it came stock like that. i should have mine in by next weekend hopefully. depending on if i find time to install it earlier or not.
Old 5/21/14, 07:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Cool, do up a thread or something when you get it and have a few miles on it. Curious to know how it works out in daily driving, especially regarding starting off and any extra noise.
Old 5/22/14, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool, do up a thread or something when you get it and have a few miles on it. Curious to know how it works out in daily driving, especially regarding starting off and any extra noise.
alright will do. i was planning to do a install direction write up thingy anyway. but it seems like the average person wont be able to do it since you need to do a crank relearn after. i guess you could just install it and then drive it to the dealership and get the relearn done though. but i have the snapon verus which will do the relearn so im in luck.
Old 5/22/14, 07:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Ugh, that's something I can't do on my own, might have to get the flywheel installed.
Old 5/23/14, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got the same problem with 4th gear under hard runs.

It sucks *****. I've got the Whiteline insert in my trunk, going to put it on next weekend hopefully.

Maybe this weekend if I get bored.
Old 5/23/14, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
I've got the same problem with 4th gear under hard runs.

It sucks *****. I've got the Whiteline insert in my trunk, going to put it on next weekend hopefully.

Maybe this weekend if I get bored.
i found me a stretch of road in mexico (hehe) and did 10-15 wot runs all the way until right after i got into 4th gear. i basically taught my self how to get it into 4th since i never go into 4th under wot except at the track (or mexico in this case) so i wasnt use to it. ive gotten to where i can get it to go into 4th now but its still not a very fast shift by any means. im hoping the aluminum flywheel, clutch, stainless clutch line, and mgw shifter will help me to be able to do a quicker shift into 4th. the flywheel, clutch, and clutch line are on the way to me now and im ordering the shifter in probably 2-3 weeks.

Quick Reply: Whiteline Trans Insert (V6)