Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Throttle response delay

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/14, 11:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Throttle response delay

Is there any way other than a tune to eliminate the throttle response delay in a 2014 V6? I love my Mustang, but would really like to have the instant response that I get in my 2006 Honda Accord V6. However, I don't want to go with a tune and jeopardize my warranty. Any options?
Old 3/19/14, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard to say what the proper fix is without knowing exactly what the cause is. Is the issue that the transmission doesn't down shift quickly enough when you put your foot down or is it that when you are already in the powerband that pressing the accelerator has a significant delay before acceleration?
Old 3/19/14, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

The best example I can give you is that when I floor it off the line, there is a delay before the revs start to climb rapidly. The same sort of delay occurs when I'm driving along and come to a place where the speed limit increases (say from 30 to 35) and I press down on the pedal to accelerate in the same gear. Another good example is in autocross when I am using SelectShift and am in second gear and come around a turnaround and floor it headed for the timing sensors. The transmission can't downshift in that situation, but there is again that brief delay before full acceleration.
Old 3/19/14, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
The best example I can give you is that when I floor it off the line, there is a delay before the revs start to climb rapidly. The same sort of delay occurs when I'm driving along and come to a place where the speed limit increases (say from 30 to 35) and I press down on the pedal to accelerate in the same gear. Another good example is in autocross when I am using SelectShift and am in second gear and come around a turnaround and floor it headed for the timing sensors. The transmission can't downshift in that situation, but there is again that brief delay before full acceleration.
That's how the car is bro. My 11 V6 had a throttle delay response the same as yours prior too my tune. The throttle response is controlled by the CPU not drive by cable design. You want a much better throttle response, you gonna need a tune. You not willing too tune, then your stuck with the crappy throttle response.
Old 3/19/14, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks, guys. I figured it was the ECU that was the culprit. Guess I'll just have to wait until my warranty is up and live with it in the meantime.

Please consider this thread closed.
Old 3/19/14, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

You won't have any issues if you decide to tune the car....I'd recommend MPT.
Old 3/19/14, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
You won't have any issues if you decide to tune the car....I'd recommend MPT.
I've read a lot on this forum about dealers refusing to honor the warranty on a car that has modifications. Is that not the case?
Old 3/19/14, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I've read a lot on this forum about dealers refusing to honor the warranty on a car that has modifications. Is that not the case?
How can they refuse it? I've had warranty work done on my clearly modded car, from the ticking noise, the belt squeal and the power seat motor. They can see when a motor has been abused. I also let the dealer do almost all my maintenance, so they know I'm not screwing the car up and then trying to make a warranty claim. They can see my service record in oasis.
Old 3/20/14, 07:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Is there any way other than a tune to eliminate the throttle response delay in a 2014 V6? I love my Mustang, but would really like to have the instant response that I get in my 2006 Honda Accord V6. However, I don't want to go with a tune and jeopardize my warranty. Any options?
Hey tukatz,

Please bring this up to your dealer and have them check it out. Then, PM me with your dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Originally Posted by hogasswild
How can they refuse it? I've had warranty work done on my clearly modded car, from the ticking noise, the belt squeal and the power seat motor. They can see when a motor has been abused. I also let the dealer do almost all my maintenance, so they know I'm not screwing the car up and then trying to make a warranty claim. They can see my service record in oasis.
You’re correct, hogasswild. Aftermarket parts will not automatically void “all” of your warranties; however, if it causes a part to fail, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your warranty guide on page 13 for further info, and always speak to your service manager first because not all of them are ok with modifications.

Also, Ford Racing Parts come with their own warranty and if your dealer is a FRPP dealer, they will only honor those aftermarket mods. You can locate one of our FRPP authorized dealers here.

Deysha
Old 3/21/14, 05:45 PM
Cobra Member

I went in and met with the service manager today and we went for a ride so I could demonstrate the throttle response delay. I've made an appointment to take the car back in so they can hook up a laptop and do some testing and record some data during a test drive. They'll also see what version of software is installed and whether or not there have been any more recent releases.

They may tell me that is the way it is and there is nothing that can be done about it, but at least that was not the up front position. I'll update this thread after my service appointment.
Old 3/22/14, 12:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

i think they will just tell you its how it is. i never noticed a more slower than most cars throttle response on mine but mine is a m6 so that might make a difference although i did notice a huge improvement in throttle response when i tuned mine. so much actually that i had to get use to it in order to take off smoothly since mines a m6.
Old 3/26/14, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
i think they will just tell you its how it is.
They may do that. The service manager did take a tech with a laptop and recorded data that they are sending to Ford engineers. I'm willing to do it Ford's way and see what answer I get before I ask my service manager about tunes and warranties.
Old 3/27/14, 04:13 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I 'think' all newer cars are done this way because, too many old people (i'm one ) were pressing the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. The delay gives a little bit of time for the person to realize they have messed up
Old 3/27/14, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I 'think' all newer cars are done this way because, too many old people (i'm one ) were pressing the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. The delay gives a little bit of time for the person to realize they have messed up
how in the world do you mash the gas thinking youre mashing the brake?? i never knew that anybody had that problem.
Old 3/27/14, 07:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I always figured it was to smooth out the ride a bit, especially from a stop. I hate it, but it does generally result in nice, smooth starts.
Old 3/29/14, 06:40 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by southcarolina12
how in the world do you mash the gas thinking youre mashing the brake?? i never knew that anybody had that problem.
I haven't done this , my tunes have the throttle delay removed. I have seen and read a lot of old people through the years on the local news and newspapers hitting buildings and other things with their cars
Old 4/10/14, 04:34 PM

Hey Tukatz, ive got the same issue with my 13 v6. My dealer is going to custom tune it for me. I asked about warranty . They stated that they have done it before. Also, the dealer would have to prove that the custom tune was responsible for the warranty problem, so...
Old 4/10/14, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Interesting. My dealer took a new V6 auto out and felt that it had better response than mine. They are going to flash mine back to factory spec and see what that does. The latest theory is that my engine computer is learning from my driving style - I guess I don't thrash it enough. I'll be sure to ask them about a tune. It goes in next Wednesday.
Old 4/16/14, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

I took her into the dealership today and they found that there was a newer version of software that was released recently, so they flashed that to the computer. It's wet out today so I haven't been able to do much testing, but my initial reaction is that she is more responsive.
Old 4/16/14, 06:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I took her into the dealership today and they found that there was a newer version of software that was released recently, so they flashed that to the computer. It's wet out today so I haven't been able to do much testing, but my initial reaction is that she is more responsive.
I wonder if they really flashed it or just did the throttle reset.

1.Turn on car without starting the engine
2. Wait until the dashlights stabilize (some of them will turn off)
3. Step on the gaspedal in one smooth and steady motion
4. Once gas pedal hits thebottom, let go
5. Turn off car and wait 5+ seconds
6. Turnengine on
7. Drive
8. Repeat 1-6 if it doesn't work the firsttime.

Quick Reply: Throttle response delay