Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

stock mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/13, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would get axle backs but i hate the sound of a v6. this is the first vehicle ive had that didnt have a v8 in it. if i do anything 2 the exhaust i would get long tubes and x pipe and leave the axle backs stock.
Old 3/10/13, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you would like the sound of my V6 2012.

My car sounds just plain good. I also like the sound of a V8. A V6 will never sound like a V8 but with the right mufflers they still sound very good.

Ronnie
Old 3/11/13, 03:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by southcarolina12
i would get axle backs but i hate the sound of a v6. this is the first vehicle ive had that didnt have a v8 in it. if i do anything 2 the exhaust i would get long tubes and x pipe and leave the axle backs stock.
Just curious, but why would you leave the factory mufflers on?
Old 3/11/13, 03:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
In that case I would just look into getting another set up. I was going to ask if you can see the weld hangars from the cut outs because I imagine you can by the way they are welded.

You can pick up a set of oem factory mufflers again for peanuts and just swap them out. ( I just picked up a set of Force 2 Flowmasters.)

Either way, you will still need those brackets. Not sure how picky you are but nothing bugs be as much as tail pipes that aren't correctly aligned to the cut outs.

Your car is too new and too nice to have it any other way.
I have the Flowmaster force II axle back mufflers and the issue I'm having with them are its tips. They are poorly designed by not allowing water to flow out of the tip area. The bottom portion of the tips are rolled up and no drain holes for the water. The water pools inside the tips and gets sucked back into the mufflers causing crackling and popping noises. Plus the tips are very thick and the thickness changes the sound coming out. I took the tips off and what a huge difference in the tone of the mufflers. Much more deeper tone without the tips, however the look with out the tips is less desired by me.
Old 3/11/13, 03:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I have the Flowmaster force II axle back mufflers and the issue I'm having with them are its tips. They are poorly designed by not allowing water to flow out of the tip area. The bottom portion of the tips are rolled up and no drain holes for the water. The water pools inside the tips and gets sucked back into the mufflers causing crackling and popping noises. Plus the tips are very thick and the thickness changes the sound coming out. I took the tips off and what a huge difference in the tone of the mufflers. Much more deeper tone without the tips, however the look with out the tips is less desired by me.
That's strange that yours didn't come with weep holes at the tips. I just snapped this pic for reference.

I love the sound of this exhaust. The first thing I did was repaint the mufflers with rust resistant paint over factory paint to combat the nasty winter. I have had no issues except the drivers side was a ***** to center in the cutout. Finally got it though.

You can go to autoanything.com and buy new tips or return the tips to Flowmaster. They have a lifetime warranty.
Attached Thumbnails stock mufflers?-image-3689928821.jpg   stock mufflers?-image-863174445.jpg  
Old 3/11/13, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
You would be surprised how good the Flowmasters sound. Don't get the Roush exhaust unless you love that shrill sound. Those made it all but a block before I took them off my car.
Old 3/11/13, 07:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's strange that yours didn't come with weep holes at the tips. I just snapped this pic for reference.

I love the sound of this exhaust. The first thing I did was repaint the mufflers with rust resistant paint over factory paint to combat the nasty winter. I have had no issues except the drivers side was a ***** to center in the cutout. Finally got it though.

You can go to autoanything.com and buy new tips or return the tips to Flowmaster. They have a lifetime warranty.
So, I called The Flowmaster company back on Saturday and spoke with customer service. The gist of the conversation with the customer service rep went the following: Wow, really, that's strange, sorry to hear that. I'll let the design teams know about the tips not draining and no hole inside the tips for the water to drain out. At no time was it ever offered to me a new set of tips. At no time was I even offered to purchase another set of tips at a special reduced price . Nothing, other than sorry to hear that and best of luck to you sir.

I snapped some pictures of my tips from the Flowmaster . Notice how there is a hole on the underside of the tip but pay close attention to the inside of the tip. The hole on the outside of the tip doesn't go through. There is no way for water that is collected inside the tip from it being shot out from the muffler , can it drain. No hole in the inside of the tip that connects straight through to the outer hole. Also , there is no drain holes placed into the mufflers themselves for water to drain out from the baffles. The owner of the muffler shop thought I may of purchased a fake Flowmaster system that was not actually made by the Flowmaster company.

stock mufflers?-image-2466955260.jpg

stock mufflers?-image-1623599160.jpg

stock mufflers?-image-530015982.jpg

stock mufflers?-image-1768000165.jpg

stock mufflers?-image-3846739973.jpg
Old 3/11/13, 08:51 PM

I cant see the pics?

Remember that you don't see the top of the hole because that is intentional. Instead, the roll of the inner lip conceals the inner hole. My tips are not rolled tight enough inside where water can't pass. The water seeps into the roll and down into the hole and out.
Old 3/11/13, 08:56 PM

Edit: I just saw the pics. Notice that they drilled my holes all the way through and very close to the edge of the tip? thus, the inner rolled lip conceals the hole.

I've watched water collect in the tips, seep into the seams of the roll, and drip out the hole.

They drilled your tips too far away from the roll and drilling through the tip completely would look bad if you did it now. Water will collect in your seams instead of coming out of the holes because they are too far back.

You're right. Ditch those tips before they rust out on you.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 3/11/13 at 09:10 PM.
Old 3/11/13, 08:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I can see the pics?

Remember that you don't see the top of the hole because that is intentional. Instead, the roll of the inner lip conceals the inner hole. My tips are not rolled tight enough inside where water can't pass. The water seeps into the roll and down into the hole and out.
I had thought about that as well, so I took a cup of water and poured it in and around the bottom rolled up portion or the tip. No water went in and the bottom to where the hole was. My darn tips were just holding water in them. The exhaust is much deeper tone with the Tips removed off the muffler. Those tips are so darn thick and Flowmaster didn't want to help a brother out after buying there system and jacking the tips up.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/11/13 at 09:02 PM.