Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Stock GT exhaust on V6...

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/14, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, well then for me the question I should have been asking is if I would need to change them. I have BBK Shortie headers and a GT H pipe so my over axel at this stage may be bottle necking but it's hard to say...
Old 10/11/14, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fintile
I was just reading a few older exhaust threads and got to thinking. Has anyone tried to upgrade their V6 exhaust by using the stock GT exhaust? I'm thinking the H/X pipe most likely wouldn't work but could the over axel pipes? I'm mostly thinking out loud on this one. Seeing as most cat-back exhaust systems for the V6 are 2.5" and from what I've read the factory GT exhaust is also 2.5", might serve as a less expensive way to upgrade the exhaust that is if its not too complicated to have fabricated.
when I bought my v6 it had stock gt exhaust sounds good not to loud
Old 10/11/14, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ETR10
when I bought my v6 it had stock gt exhaust sounds good not to loud
Really? You mind posting picks? Was it mid pipe all the way to mufflers? Any videos?
Old 10/17/14, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm no expert... but, from what I understand from a few exhaust guys that I have spoken with (on different matters)

They have said that running pipes larger than they should be, will give you a negative effect on performance.

the V6 Mustang shouldn't be any larger than 2.5" (if you aren't running any crazy applications)

Even if you make it fit, it may end up being A LOT worst for you. It's worth a try though.
Old 10/20/14, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Ok, well then for me the question I should have been asking is if I would need to change them. I have BBK Shortie headers and a GT H pipe so my over axel at this stage may be bottle necking but it's hard to say...
Could be, could not be. Did the H-pipe include the cats or was it a cut and weld/clamp?

It might be cheaper to have an exhaust shop fab up some 2.5" pipes for you. The GT pipes will probably require some fitting so it may not make sense to go used over new.
Old 10/20/14, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ya I was thinking about that. It's the same car structure so them not fitting is odd. I know I may need to cut them though at least to fit to my mufflers. I just welded the H pipe in place of my stock midpipe
Old 10/24/14, 08:45 AM
GT Member

Ya I was thinking about that. It's the same car structure so them not fitting is odd. I know I may need to cut them though at least to fit to my mufflers. I just welded the H pipe in place of my stock midpipe
What not fitting? Do you mean why the gt pipes wouldn't just bolt on? The coyote is a much wider engine (90* vs the v6's 60*) and the coyote is longer and doesn't necessarily have it's exhaust manifolds in the place as the v6.

I think teh pipes on the v6 at the cats are normally 2.25", so you may have a couple spots that are more restrictive.
Old 10/24/14, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by spqr

What not fitting? Do you mean why the gt pipes wouldn't just bolt on? The coyote is a much wider engine (90* vs the v6's 60*) and the coyote is longer and doesn't necessarily have it's exhaust manifolds in the place as the v6.

I think teh pipes on the v6 at the cats are normally 2.25", so you may have a couple spots that are more restrictive.
Well I have the GT H pipe already. It slipped right over very snuggly to the V6 resonators and over axel pipes...almost a luittle too tight of a fit. Just slipped and welded.

Also where the GTs H pipe meets up to the cats it appears to be the same spot. No modifying required. I've been getting the impression people think the GT OA pipes won't fit in the V6 and I thought it was physical fitment but I think they are refering to the pipe size difference, which is kind of redundant because I know it's bigger and I would fabricate what I need to fit to my current over axel mufflers (2.5" inlet Magnaflows).

From what I've been hearing it's going to be a waste of time. If someone wants to do it; it will be a matter of cut and weld no problem, but there are no gains to receive and it will just make your car deeper and drone more. Best to just go with a new mid-pipe and keep your stock over axels as they are plenty big enough for the V6 if you only plan to do simple bolt ons. With boost? Procharger, American Muscle, Super Six , BAMA, MPT and even Steeda have told myself or others Im working with that 2.5"-2.75" is the biggest you'd ever want to go as 3" have been seen to be too big. The car is a dual exhaust and when you do the math to have a full 3" exhaust on the V6 will roughly equal close to a 4" or bigger on a single exhaust car of similar design and engine size.

Glad to see people showing some more interest in this though. I'm just glad I didn't go and get the full GT exhaust by mistake.

Last edited by Fintile; 12/31/14 at 07:54 AM.
Old 3/12/17, 02:53 PM

I have installed a 2012 GT exhaust on my 2012 V6 3.7 and it works great. Only a .25 inch in diameter difference but nothing that a garage can't do. Just took a pair of flendge to tie to two end together instead of the traditional donut. It sounds great too, I had removed the awfull Pypes bomb with a huge drone effect. I think the performance is better overhall but no dyno done for me, just a feeling. Nothing huge but no restriction with bigger pipes for sure. The torque is there in the 1900 to 2500 rpm also.