Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Starting with a base 2013 V6

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/13, 08:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting with a base 2013 V6

Picked up a base model V6 with the tech package about 2 months ago and its time to start doing some modifications. Here is what I am starting out with:

(That is after an hour of pressure washing, hand drying, hand washing the rims, and waxing)

My first "mod" was removing the front license plate bracket which in my opinion is ugly. So I bought some bumper plugs to fill the holes which looked good for a while then the paint started to chip on the plugs. So I pulled those out, and I am back at square one:

There is a long list of mods I would like to do, but there are 2 key factors.

1.)Not to void the warranty
2.)Its a daily driver

Those 2 mainly apply to the engine and gearing, I can't go crazy and turn it into a blown 3.7 with some 3.73s. At the same time I don't see anything wrong with a CAI, exhaust, and other minor engine mods. Then turning to the aesthetics side of things, I am one of those crazy people that believe your vehicle's appearance is an extension of your personality so a lot of mods will fall into that department.

To get the ball rolling am I am looking at the black rocker stripes and the black Super Snake Stripe Kit. Black on Red is the theme I am going with to give an idea of the direction I am heading. I am new to the Mustang modding scene so feedback, opinions, suggestions, welcome.

Last edited by DRaider90; 7/6/13 at 01:47 PM.
Old 7/4/13, 08:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Get the red painted mirror covers and nice floormats first. Your carpet will thank you.

Btw please stop pressure washing. nice ride.
Old 7/5/13, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting with a base 2013 V6-image-4048079128.jpg

Starting with a base 2013 V6-image-4126369558.jpg

I bought mine ab 2 months ago also. My first mod was the quarter window louvers. Then tint the windows, 3rd brake light and side marker tints, deck board cover, H/L and T/L smoked covers, and I changed the reverse lights, license plate lights, and dome lights to LED. I'm more of an appearance mod person myself, I wanna turn heads even if it is a v6. I still want the mirror covers, side louvers, caliper covers, exhaust, and wheels. I have the same dumb front license plate bracket, I attempted to remove it but it had the dang holes so I figured I'll just leave it on and find something I can put on the front there to show a little of my personality. I'm jealous of your fog lights, mine didn't come with
Old 7/5/13, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There's not much you can do without risking your warranty (and this is based solely on how the service manager at your local Ford dealer feels if you bring your car in for warranty work). You can change your cat backs, wheels, and pretty much anything regarding appearance as long as you don't change anything mechanical or electrical.

If you want to make your car faster, stop better, or handle better, or the stereo sound better, you'll probably void your warranty regarding systems associated with the specific mod.

My car is a year old, and I've modified all of the areas I mentioned. I'm sure none of my car is covered under the warranty at this point.
Old 7/5/13, 07:07 AM
Cobra Member

Edit: wrong thread...

Like was mentioned above.. alot depends on your service manager / dealership. If they are cool you will be able to get away with alot more.

Last edited by 69Mach1-409; 7/5/13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 7/5/13, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I started with window tint and wheels & tires. Then added the genuine Ford: all weather rubber floor mats, locking gas cap, rubber trunk mat, strut tower brace and a pair of GT take off sway bars.

I also have the aftermarket AM padded armrest cover:

https://themustangsource.com/f803/padded-leather-console-armrest-covers-519160/
Old 7/6/13, 05:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
Edit: wrong thread...

Like was mentioned above.. alot depends on your service manager / dealership. If they are cool you will be able to get away with alot more.
Those people are Lucky I asked my dealer and they won't do any after market parts
Old 7/6/13, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by scramblerider5
Those people are Lucky I asked my dealer and they won't do any after market parts
I know better than to even ask. I've touched every major system in the car except the A/C and the transmission. The only OEM suspension component still in the car is the upper control arm. LOL
Old 7/6/13, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bigkat122
Attachment 141441

Attachment 141442

I bought mine ab 2 months ago also. My first mod was the quarter window louvers. Then tint the windows, 3rd brake light and side marker tints, deck board cover, H/L and T/L smoked covers, and I changed the reverse lights, license plate lights, and dome lights to LED. I'm more of an appearance mod person myself, I wanna turn heads even if it is a v6. I still want the mirror covers, side louvers, caliper covers, exhaust, and wheels. I have the same dumb front license plate bracket, I attempted to remove it but it had the dang holes so I figured I'll just leave it on and find something I can put on the front there to show a little of my personality. I'm jealous of your fog lights, mine didn't come with
Nice looking stang you got there. I wouldn't be jealous of the V6 fog lights, they are far from GT fogs. Don't get me wrong I like them, but I still want to do a GT grille in the future to get the better fog lights.

Originally Posted by jsimmons
There's not much you can do without risking your warranty (and this is based solely on how the service manager at your local Ford dealer feels if you bring your car in for warranty work). You can change your cat backs, wheels, and pretty much anything regarding appearance as long as you don't change anything mechanical or electrical.

If you want to make your car faster, stop better, or handle better, or the stereo sound better, you'll probably void your warranty regarding systems associated with the specific mod.

My car is a year old, and I've modified all of the areas I mentioned. I'm sure none of my car is covered under the warranty at this point.
I am willing to risk the warranty on simple things like a CAI, headers, catted x-pipe, tune, etc. Those are low risk items at least in my eyes. But its really I guess in the end what mods people feel comfortable with adding while still under warranty.

Being a firm believer in purpose/function mods, such as power gains, handling, etc is a good thing in my opinion. For example every mod on my Raider (4x4 SUV) is for performance on the trails. Its also a 1988 with 165k on the clock, so I can mod it and put it through its paces on the trails without any worry about warranties etc. The Mustang is a little different to say the least.

My primary goals with the car are:

1.)Make it look good, sound good, and stand out from the crowd without trying to imitate others models. Don't get me wrong imitation can be the highest form of flattery, but I like the idea of different.

2.)Gain HP to make the cars advertised FWHP more match its RWHP, but not sacrifice things like MPG and Warranty too much.

Maybe someday I can pick up a GT and go nuts with it, but its one step at a time right now. I can see the V6 being one small step in a new addiction. For reference I started out in the 4 wheeling hobby with one Raider, I now own 3. 3 Mustangs sounds like a good number....

Last edited by DRaider90; 7/6/13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 7/6/13, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DRaider90

Nice looking stang you got there. I wouldn't be jealous of the V6 fog lights, they are far from GT fogs. Don't get me wrong I like them, but I still want to do a GT grille in the future to get the better fog lights.
I just can't get myself to like the fog lights in the grille. I like the look of having them in the bumper.
Old 7/6/13, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bigkat122
I just can't get myself to like the fog lights in the grille. I like the look of having them in the bumper.
I like the look in the bumper also, but the V6 fogs are just too small in my opinion. I like the size/look of the GT500 (or Super Snake as the picture shows) fogs:

Old 7/7/13, 12:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your thinking is exactly like mine! Same purposes and everything. Only difference is i live in CA, so i gotta make sure all my mods are CA legal, and other difference is my car is blue lol. But otherwise its the exact same, base v6 with tech package. Ill be watching this thread closely. Hope your car turns out really well
Old 7/7/13, 07:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan73x
Your thinking is exactly like mine! Same purposes and everything. Only difference is i live in CA, so i gotta make sure all my mods are CA legal, and other difference is my car is blue lol. But otherwise its the exact same, base v6 with tech package. Ill be watching this thread closely. Hope your car turns out really well
I like the deep impact blue of yours, that was my very close 2nd color choice. My situation at the dealership was the opposite of yours though. I wanted a 2014 but they only had 2 (one white and one black), but they had all the colors of the rainbow of 2013's (and most were base V6's with tech package). Not to mention I didn't really have the time to wait that is associated with custom ordering (which I have done in the past). I will keep an eye out for a mod thread when you start adding goodies, I know she will turn out great.

Speaking of Mods, ordered the (bumper plugs don't count since they came out) first mod for the stang. I won't give it away, but will post pictures as soon as they arrive and are installed.

Last edited by DRaider90; 7/7/13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 7/7/13, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

Double post oh well I guess....

Took the Mustang out for her Sunday wash n' shine and ended up doing some grocery shopping at super wally world. Was in the automotive section to pick up some bug/tar remover and saw these:

With some paint from the dealership and a couple layers of clear coat I could make those (the decorative caps that go on the screws) work for the holes left from the front license plate cover. I like the idea of the caps so I can take them off easily to touch up the paint. Heck of a lot cheaper than "bumper plugs" to boot. Anyone tried this route before?

Last edited by DRaider90; 7/7/13 at 02:19 PM.
Old 7/7/13, 04:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
A simple nylon retainer from napa would work just as well. They will take paint better as they are flat black and non gloss.
Old 7/7/13, 11:42 PM

I've got that exact same car. v6 2013 race red with tech package. I got a red and black theme going on. Some of the basic mods I've done are plasti dipping the chrome trim around the grille, dipping the wheels black, a 4500k HID fog light kit, tints to the front side marker lights, rear quarter lights, and tail light inserts. Next on the list are the painted mirror covers and a bracket that hides the licence plate. This is just an idea of some things you can do to give your car some more personality even if you are on a tight budget.

**Forgot to mention the licence plate led's and dome led's

Last edited by H3L1X; 7/7/13 at 11:44 PM.
Old 7/8/13, 12:04 AM

Here is an old pic of my car with the plasti dipped chrome trim on the grille and the dipped wheels. Pretty **** sexy.

I'm still debating about adding emblems.

Last edited by H3L1X; 7/13/13 at 05:53 PM.
Old 7/8/13, 07:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
A simple nylon retainer from napa would work just as well. They will take paint better as they are flat black and non gloss.
Do they make any that aren't flimsy like the ones "bumper plugs" uses? Because that is all the ones I got from bumper plugs were, nylon retainers pre-painted race red. When I noticed the paint had chipped I attempted to remove them (was going to re-paint them). They warped becoming disfigured and un-usable when I removed them.

Originally Posted by H3L1X
I've got that exact same car. v6 2013 race red with tech package. I got a red and black theme going on. Some of the basic mods I've done are plasti dipping the chrome trim around the grille, dipping the wheels black, a 4500k HID fog light kit, tints to the front side marker lights, rear quarter lights, and tail light inserts. Next on the list are the painted mirror covers and a bracket that hides the licence plate. This is just an idea of some things you can do to give your car some more personality even if you are on a tight budget.

**Forgot to mention the licence plate led's and dome led's
Nice looking stang you got there! Now I know what the stock rims look like black, was thinking about painting them but wasn't sure how that would look. I have so many ideas for mods floating around its not even funny.

Last edited by DRaider90; 7/8/13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 7/8/13, 07:35 PM

Yea the wheels look pretty good. I want to buy some gt500 wheels but for now the plasti dip is fine. If you ever decide on plasti dipping the wheels please for the love of god use one of these:
Can-Gun1 2012 Premium Can Tool Aerosol Spray - Amazon.com Can-Gun1 2012 Premium Can Tool Aerosol Spray - Amazon.com

This thing will make the whole process wayyy much easier.
Old 7/8/13, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went a whole different Route..

When I bought her.. 2013 GHIG Performance Package.

After.. Aluminum drive shaft, Boss 302S Grill, Got the louvers and the Mirror caps painted, added Raxiom Fog light.

Last edited by GreenCars; 7/8/13 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting with a base 2013 V6