Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Some thoughts on CAI...

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/13, 10:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodimus_prime
I just put an intake on tonight and even if there is no power gain (which is a BS argument because there is its dyno proven) the sound is awesome. This is how it should have sounded from the factory not that sorry quiet crap for old men with grey hair that dont know where the gas pedal is
Lol hey I'm 37 and just started getting gray hair at the temples. My daughter points it out. It's bugging the crap out of me. Anyway....
Old 7/3/13, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before CAI and after CAI
Attached Thumbnails Some thoughts on CAI...-image-3718275323.jpg   Some thoughts on CAI...-image-669898735.jpg  
Old 7/3/13, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Put some Slick 50 in the crankcase and one of those spinny vortex thangs over the throttle body and you could crack 100 mpg by the weekend.
Old 7/3/13, 12:08 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by steven46746
Before CAI and after CAI
You must be running one of these: http://tornadoair.com/
Old 7/3/13, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So... like most modifications...
It adds negligible power unless paired with other modifications?

It obviously adds hp and tq. Dyno proven, and has been for years.
It (depending on which omniscient forum member you talk to) adds a little or a little more than a little.
Paired with a tune, it (dyno proven) gives you more than a stock airbox+tune.

Facts aside, I bought a Steeda one for my old car because of, reusable filter, looks awesome, sounds sweet, gave better throttle response, shaved weight, cleaned up engine compartment space, and who knows, maybe gave me power. It sure wasn't hurting anything.

By the way... it DID give me an extra 15mpg. The sticker with it gave me another 10hp.
Deal with it.

Last edited by Krohn; 7/3/13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 7/3/13, 12:42 PM
GT Member

Before CAI and after CAI
I have a cai and there was very Little gain if any, been running for about 8k miles. Also how did the after picture have less miles????
Old 7/3/13, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mac951

I have a cai and there was very Little gain if any, been running for about 8k miles. Also how did the after picture have less miles????
Lol you catch that I back out of my driveway a lot!

Last edited by steven46746; 7/3/13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 7/3/13, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by texastboneking

:Rofl2: 5mpg off an intake!!! Someone show ford this witchcraft! That's where they hid the extra mpgs! In the intake!...
Exactly. Why would Ford forgo a 1 MPG increase, let alone a 5 mpg increase even if their cost to implement a magic CAI was the same as for the after market consumer, especially considering the Federal pressure on fleet MPG numbers.
Old 7/3/13, 08:52 PM
GT Member

^you could ask that same question about the tune also, both the intake system and the tune could be far better in relation to fuel economy
Old 7/3/13, 10:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Im running a factory intake... cai to me is a money scam.... looks pretty under the hood. Thats about it.
What about dyno results? Do you just ignore those orrrrrr

Last edited by Dhawk1313; 7/3/13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 7/3/13, 11:06 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313
The results are negligible.
Old 7/4/13, 06:43 AM

^you could ask that same question about the tune also, both the intake system and the tune could be far better in relation to fuel economy
While one could ask the same question about the tune, (with no disrespect) I did not. There seems to be very little possibility that the most successful major American carmaker would forgo a 5 MPG increase on the V6 engine about which it loves to boast the combo figure "305HP & 31 highway MPG", if it could say instead "30xHP & 36 highway MPG" even if it raised the price of the car by a negligible amount. Wouldn't that be a no brainer?

I don't have an engineering degree, but even if I did, I don't think i could argue with Ford's chief Mustang engineer, lol.
Old 7/4/13, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by driverm11

While one could ask the same question about the tune, (with no disrespect) I did not. There seems to be very little possibility that the most successful major American carmaker would forgo a 5 MPG increase on the V6 engine about which it loves to boast the combo figure "305HP & 31 highway MPG", if it could say instead "30xHP & 36 highway MPG" even if it raised the price of the car by a negligible amount. Wouldn't that be a no brainer?

I don't have an engineering degree, but even if I did, I don't think i could argue with Ford's chief Mustang engineer, lol.
Maybe they held back so the 2015 mustang can achieve those numbers and look like a improvement? Gotta pace yourself
Old 7/4/13, 06:49 AM

Maybe they held back so the 2015 mustang can achieve those numbers and look like a improvement? Gotta pace yourself
That could be...man, I hope they impress us more than that!
Old 7/4/13, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by driverm11

That could be...man, I hope they impress us more than that!
Yep I highly doubt ford is putting it all on the table and on the edge. Their just playing it safe for now.
Old 7/4/13, 08:57 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313
You mean dyno runs with different intake temps and different engine temps? I would have to see all the pids on the pcm to believe to see "proven" results.. make a dyno run with a hot car mid day. Then make a dyno run at night with a warm car. See the results yourself
Old 7/4/13, 09:52 AM
GT Member

The whole advertising of 305hp and 31mpg is absurd and totally false to start with. In reality its about 250whp, which is how car horsepower should be measured and pretty much how everyone does. The 31mpg is also assuming you have an automatic and the standard 2.73 rear gears, both of which I do not.

Keep in mind EPA testing is also done at 55mph when in fact the national highway average is about 70mph. If your going to compare numbers, consider the variables.

I've yet to go through an entire tank and calculate by hand but its a pretty safe bet that an improvement in track apps fuel mileage it should also translate to an actual increase in mileage.

The fact remains that Ford and other OEMs build cars at the lowest cost possible, fail safe as possible and to be quiet as possible. This does not yield maximum performance, if it did none of us would be modifying them and companies would not bother to make the parts. Even a change to requiring premuim fuel in the stock ecu calibration would have yielded a mpg increase as well as power. Ford didn't need to make it any better than it was, they simply needed to compete with the Camaro.
Old 7/4/13, 10:15 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The whole advertising of 305hp and 31mpg is absurd and totally false to start with. In reality its about 250whp, which is how car horsepower should be measured and pretty much how everyone does. The 31mpg is also assuming you have an automatic and the standard 2.73 rear gears, both of which I do not.

Keep in mind EPA testing is also done at 55mph when in fact the national highway average is about 70mph. If your going to compare numbers, consider the variables.

I've yet to go through an entire tank and calculate by hand but its a pretty safe bet that an improvement in track apps fuel mileage it should also translate to an actual increase in mileage.

The fact remains that Ford and other OEMs build cars at the lowest cost possible, fail safe as possible and to be quiet as possible. This does not yield maximum performance, if it did none of us would be modifying them and companies would not bother to make the parts. Even a change to requiring premuim fuel in the stock ecu calibration would have yielded a mpg increase as well as power. Ford didn't need to make it any better than it was, they simply needed to compete with the Camaro.
Manufacturers boast fwhp... not rwhp...
Old 7/4/13, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Man I want one.. Just holding out until I find a deal on one. 300 will never happen with me. 150-175 used maybe.

I'm debating on the Roush or Air raid. I'd go with the JLT if the couplers weren't so fugly.
Check various sites from time to time - especially Amazon. I got an Airaid from Trends Auto (visa vi Amazon) for $195 after rebate. I was on the fence like you, but the rebate that dropped it below $200 did it.
Old 7/4/13, 12:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava Dude

Check various sites from time to time - especially Amazon. I got an Airaid from Trends Auto (visa vi Amazon) for $195 after rebate. I was on the fence like you, but the rebate that dropped it below $200 did it.
Hey thanks! I never thought of amazon.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on CAI...