Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Some thoughts on CAI...

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/13, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko

This. There was a great vid out there with Jay Leno and a Ford engineer with the Boss 302....about 5 minutes into the vid, Jay asked the engineer about CAI's, as the demand for them was high on the mod list. The engineer stated the stock air box flow could not be improved with an aftermarket CAI; they flowed as good as a CAI.

If you want pretty, or noise, then buy one. If noise is your desire, cut off the "muffler" on the air intake tube, then fiberglass it up, and repaint. You'll have what you want then.
That's probably true, with a stock tune from ford. With an after market tune it's only logical a bigger tube and more air is gonna make more power.
Old 7/2/13, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you’re overthinking the CAI because it’s really not needed on a stock or nearly stock engine, but a nice mod to have. I run the stock air box and a Steeda 87 street tune on my 2012 V6 which is a daily driver and it performs well. In my case, I couldn’t justify the horsepower per dollar gain by installing one as it didn’t seem cost effective. If you’re undecided about running a CAI, install one to satisfy your own curiosity as it may be right for you. Do save your stock airbox just in case ...

Last edited by silverstate777; 7/2/13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 7/2/13, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by silverstate777
Sounds like you’re overthinking the CAI because it’s really not needed on a stock or nearly stock engine, but a nice mod to have. I run the stock air box and a Steeda 87 street tune on my 2012 V6 which is a daily driver and it performs well. In my case, I couldn’t justify the horsepower per dollar gain by installing one as it didn’t seem cost effective. If you’re undecided about running a CAI, install one to satisfy your own curiosity as it may be right for you. Do save your stock airbox just in case ...
I have one already installed with a BAMA 91 Hybrid tune. It was just some new info I came across that got me over think it I guess. It seams to help but no idea how I'd be running at this point with my stock air box as I never ran it with the tune.
Old 7/2/13, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

A cai with stock tune doesn't just offer looks or sound. It increases you throttle response. Granted it may not be a huge improvement but it was a nice change for me. Shortly after installing it I did do a tune though b/c I brought them together and that just made night/day change. I still have my airaid but not my tuner and I will still install it on my '14 V6 when I get it b/c there is improvement over the stock airbox even without a tune imho.
Old 7/2/13, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rando
Shane, why did AM stop selling the AFE Cold Air Intake for the 3.7? I was literally about to buy it because I want a blue CAI and the AFE had the best price.

Edit: http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...7L&&brandID=53

You were selling it for $279 I believe
Rando,

Sorry about that! We weren't getting much interest for this particular CAI compared to the other brands offered, so it was taken off the site. We're always trying to keep our site active with popular parts. Occasionally some will be removed if there's no demand and we have comparable replacements.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience!

Shane
Old 7/2/13, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice read
Old 7/2/13, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Please don't get a CAI. It's not worth it. I don't need any other competition on the street.
Old 7/2/13, 05:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Man I want one.. Just holding out until I find a deal on one. 300 will never happen with me. 150-175 used maybe.

I'm debating on the Roush or Air raid. I'd go with the JLT if the couplers weren't so fugly.
Old 7/2/13, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, the way this thread is going would you consider my Injen intake if I decide to sell it? Lol
Old 7/2/13, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fintile
Well, the way this thread is going would you consider my Injen intake if I decide to sell it? Lol
Possibly. Long as its not chrome.
Old 7/2/13, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Possibly. Long as its not chrome.
I can paint it. I hate the chrome and if its only looks I mine as well get a black one or go back to stock.
Old 7/2/13, 08:32 PM
GT Member

I just put an intake on tonight and even if there is no power gain (which is a BS argument because there is its dyno proven) the sound is awesome. This is how it should have sounded from the factory not that sorry quiet crap for old men with grey hair that dont know where the gas pedal is
Old 7/2/13, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rodimus_prime
I just put an intake on tonight and even if there is no power gain (which is a BS argument because there is its dyno proven) the sound is awesome. This is how it should have sounded from the factory not that sorry quiet crap for old men with grey hair that dont know where the gas pedal is
What brand?
Old 7/3/13, 09:11 AM
GT Member

Air Raid. Also noticed a 5mpg improvement on highway mileage this morning. For you idiots saying its not worth it and the stock airbox is so awesome nothing could be further from the truth. Its an air choking sound muffler, thats it.
Old 7/3/13, 09:34 AM
GT Member

...This is how it should have sounded from the factory not that sorry quiet crap for old men with grey hair that dont know where the gas pedal is...

..For you idiots saying its not worth it and the stock airbox is so awesome nothing could be further from the truth. Its an air choking sound muffler, thats it"
Wow, what compelling, anecdotal evidence based arguments.

Somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed?

Last edited by ustabawannab; 7/3/13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 7/3/13, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

I just put an intake on tonight and even if there is no power gain (which is a BS argument because there is its dyno proven) the sound is awesome.
^^Yep this. Its def. worth it.
Old 7/3/13, 09:50 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is how it should have sounded from the factory not that sorry quiet crap for old men with grey hair that dont know where the gas pedal is
lol Its not about that - its about keeping decibels within your current day over-reaching government's limits.

The old grey haired guys you dis drove all those loud **** muscle cars remember? Or did you forget your ADD meds during history class?

Old 7/3/13, 09:52 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air Raid. Also noticed a 5mpg improvement on highway mileage this morning. For you idiots saying its not worth it and the stock airbox is so awesome nothing could be further from the truth. Its an air choking sound muffler, thats it.
:Rofl2: 5mpg off an intake!!! Someone show ford this witchcraft! That's where they hid the extra mpgs! In the intake!

Side note I'm sure the test your ran had a Gould control group to go on?

I love when ppl make up numbers to make thier purchase look like it was worth the cost...
Old 7/3/13, 10:17 AM

I'm going with the airraid only to create more sound and work better with the tuner. I have a feeling the gains from the CAI alone are extremely minimal because of my experience with them in the past and how they are only a "part" to noticeable hp gains.

I will die before I pay $300 for one. I like the look of them. Lol Hell I'd probably swap under drive pullies if they were available. I'm old school like that.

Anyone run Flows force 2, CAI, and tuner?
Old 7/3/13, 10:20 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
5 mpg increase is a flat out lie. They look nice, they sound nice, but performance increase is negligible. They should only be bought if you have money to waste, or if you can get one really cheap.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on CAI...