Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Pypes catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/14, 04:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pypes catalytic converters

Hi guys. Installed the BBK shortys with the FRPP cut and clamp x pipe. Already had the flow master force IIs installed. Car sounds louder and throatier from outside the car. Take offs are much deeper. Inside the car, not too much louder but definitely noticeable. Idle sounds nice, can definitely tell the exhaust is not stock. My question is, if I was to get these Pype converters, will I notice a louder exhaust? Like the sound of the exhaust now but I do wish it was louder. Got the rumble and the deepness sound down, just want some more noise. American muscle has these for about 275.00. What's everybody's opinion on these high flows?

I know BBK makes a catted x, but it's a little too late for that considering I have the FRPP cut and clamp, but I read reviews on the BBK that it's a lot louder. Will it be the same with these?

Last edited by Stacks Warmen; 4/11/14 at 04:47 PM.
Old 4/12/14, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

it will make it a tad bit louder yes. the bbk catted x will flow a little better since the curves are smoother and sound a little deeper since the pipe is a little bigger. also there is a curve that takes place in the stock cats so it would be hard for the cats to get welded in without cutting up higher than the cats so you can make that curve before the cats.
Old 4/13/14, 07:48 PM
GT Member

If it will make it louder then I will definitely consider.
Attached Thumbnails Pypes catalytic converters-image-3416345106.jpg  

Last edited by Stacks Warmen; 4/13/14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 4/14/14, 05:33 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
It will be louder. Don't be surprised if you have to have your o2 sensors turned 'off' on your tune. My tuner told me when i got a 'check engine' light, "some high flow catts don't work all that great and sometimes they throw a 'check engine' light.

If you live in an area that have smog test, you might not want to change the catts to the small high flow ones. Just my opinion
Old 4/14/14, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Well from what I was told, as long as the converters don't throw out a check engine light, they will be legal. American Muscle told me that these specific high flows, and so did a local dealer. And even if they did, I still have the tuner, so I should be good right?
Old 4/14/14, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

if your state doesnt do the sniffer test thing and only does visual and the obd2 testing then if your check engine light is off then youll pass IF your o2 sensor sensitivity wasnt changed in your tune if you tuned it. if it was changed then it could still fail with out the check engine light off. with SCT you cant really turn off the rear o2's you just change their sensitivity to where the check engine light wont come on.
Old 4/16/14, 08:11 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Hi guys. Installed the BBK shortys with the FRPP cut and clamp x pipe. Already had the flow master force IIs installed. Car sounds louder and throatier from outside the car. Take offs are much deeper. Inside the car, not too much louder but definitely noticeable. Idle sounds nice, can definitely tell the exhaust is not stock. My question is, if I was to get these Pype converters, will I notice a louder exhaust? Like the sound of the exhaust now but I do wish it was louder. Got the rumble and the deepness sound down, just want some more noise. American muscle has these for about 275.00. What's everybody's opinion on these high flows? I know BBK makes a catted x, but it's a little too late for that considering I have the FRPP cut and clamp, but I read reviews on the BBK that it's a lot louder. Will it be the same with these?
I have these installed. They made it much LOUDER and DEEPER. CAI, bbk TB, porting, ceramic bbk shorty headers, 3" Pypes cats, frpp xpipe, Gt500 mufflers. They flow much better, noticeable performance. No codes were thrown before retuning. Steeda tuned.

Last edited by CVH; 4/16/14 at 08:13 PM.
Old 4/17/14, 07:22 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the reply! Now if any codes were to be thrown, is it something that would be thrown directly after the install?
Old 4/17/14, 02:26 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the reply! Now if any codes were to be thrown, is it something that would be thrown directly after the install?
I rode with the prior tune for 30 miles. I'm not sure if it would take longer to throw a code. Maybe someone can chime in.
Old 4/18/14, 08:11 AM
Former Vendor

Hey,

If you were to get these, as CVH stated, you may need to drive several miles before knowing if the car will throw a code.

Generally these don't throw a code, but every once in a while, a car will have a more sensitive set of rear O2s and give a code. The car will not have a code right away, it will need to go through its drive cycle before throwing a code. This cycle will vary from car to car, but generally it is about 30 or less miles of different types of driving. Also, in the chance that your car does throw a code, it can be easily corrected with a tune to fool the rear O2 sensors.

I hope this information helps, and if you have any further questions feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 4/18/14, 12:32 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Hey, If you were to get these, as CVH stated, you may need to drive several miles before knowing if the car will throw a code. Generally these don't throw a code, but every once in a while, a car will have a more sensitive set of rear O2s and give a code. The car will not have a code right away, it will need to go through its drive cycle before throwing a code. This cycle will vary from car to car, but generally it is about 30 or less miles of different types of driving. Also, in the chance that your car does throw a code, it can be easily corrected with a tune to fool the rear O2 sensors. I hope this information helps, and if you have any further questions feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck! -Dan
I have a question Dan: Are there any adjustments being made by the computer from the rear o2 sensors? I am just wondering if fooling the rear set would have an effect?
I have not notice any bad effects from the new tune with the update for the cats.
Old 4/19/14, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Hey, If you were to get these, as CVH stated, you may need to drive several miles before knowing if the car will throw a code. Generally these don't throw a code, but every once in a while, a car will have a more sensitive set of rear O2s and give a code. The car will not have a code right away, it will need to go through its drive cycle before throwing a code. This cycle will vary from car to car, but generally it is about 30 or less miles of different types of driving. Also, in the chance that your car does throw a code, it can be easily corrected with a tune to fool the rear O2 sensors. I hope this information helps, and if you have any further questions feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck! -Dan
I was told by an American Muscle customer service rep and by the same Bama customer service rep that even if I retuned the check engine light off, the vehicle still won't pass emissions because the computer will show that a monitor is not complete. Another important point to bring up, do the inspectors actually look at the catalytic converters to see if they are CARB approved? Because even with the check engine light off, you can technically still fail emissions.

Last edited by Stacks Warmen; 4/19/14 at 07:01 PM.