Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Ordered The Airaid V6 CAI From American Muscle

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/11, 02:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered The Airaid V6 CAI From American Muscle

Looked great in the pictures, had a high HP rating, and I thought it sounded the best of the 5 in the video clips. I'm also going to order the tuner later after a few more paydays. Does anyone with an '11-'12 V6 have any experience with the intake?
Old 7/11/11, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBeast
Looked great in the pictures, had a high HP rating, and I thought it sounded the best of the 5 in the video clips. I'm also going to order the tuner later after a few more paydays. Does anyone with an '11-'12 V6 have any experience with the intake?
That intake kicks-butt, you will love it!

For the cost, the performance and option of running it with or without a tune, it is VERY hard to beat the Airaid intake for the 2011+ V6s. It makes the most power, looks the best(in my opinion) and is priced the best for what you get.

There is only one review on our website that doesn't give it 5 out of 5 stars and that customer still gives it 4 stars. I believe they may have gotten slightly disgruntled by the installation, which is not hard by any means, but for someone who doesn't do that type of thing everyday, it could be slightly intimidating or overwhelming.

I hope this helps, have a good one!
Old 7/11/11, 02:34 PM
V6 Member

Sa-Weet! I knew I had picked a winner.

Yeah, I saw where the guy wrote that he had a little trouble with putting it in.... I don't know, I kinda like tight fits.

Giggidy
Old 7/12/11, 08:05 AM

Yesterday, I just put the Airaid CAI and 93 Pro Bamma tune on my 2011 MCA V6 Stang.....You will love the intake sounds awesome and during your shifts you can hear it alittle. As far as the Bama tune you can feel it BIG TIME but I dont like the shift from 1st to 2nd alittle to hard.....So im going to down tune to the 93 Street tune probably today.
Old 7/13/11, 09:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ctowndawg440
Yesterday, I just put the Airaid CAI and 93 Pro Bamma tune on my 2011 MCA V6 Stang.....You will love the intake sounds awesome and during your shifts you can hear it alittle. As far as the Bama tune you can feel it BIG TIME but I dont like the shift from 1st to 2nd alittle to hard.....So im going to down tune to the 93 Street tune probably today.
Cool, please let us know the difference between the 2 tunes. From what I've read, the Street Tune is probably the way I'll go. I have read Ralph's review on the American Muscle website that the Street Tune allows you to have alot more low end power (where I think the V6 needs it) and allows for easier burn-outs even at 87S. Not that I would partake in any offensive shenanigans such as that....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-2011v6.html

Last edited by BlueBeast; 7/13/11 at 09:50 AM. Reason: insert link
Old 7/17/11, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

IT'S ON! It was kind of a tight fit but as long as you don't tighten anything down, including the air box until the very end, it was no problem at all. Installation took under an hour..... not counting me having to find my magnet to fish back out that bolt and washer I let slip out of my hand and onto the bottom engine cover. I hate when that happens....

Took it for a test drive and LOVE the way the engine growls now when I give it the slightest amount of gas! Check out my Garage for a pic.

So I guess my question is now with this CAI installed, will the V6 engine intake cover kit fit?

Last edited by BlueBeast; 7/17/11 at 04:40 PM.
Old 7/17/11, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

IT'S ON! It was kind of a tight fit but as long as you don't tighten anything down, including the air box until the very end, it was no problem at all. Installation took under an hour..... not counting me having to find my magnet to fish back out that bolt and washer I let slip out of my hand and onto the bottom engine cover. I hate when that happens....
hahaha...I had the same thing happen with the cover to my adjustable screwdriver. Had to fish mine out with a coat hanger!
Old 7/19/11, 06:27 PM
V6 Member

Thumbs up

Old 7/22/11, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

So you are pleased with the cold air kit? Seat of pants power gains?
Old 7/22/11, 10:43 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
So you are pleased with the cold air kit? Seat of pants power gains?
Yes, I am very pleased with the intake. The first time I started the engine and pressed the gas, I kinda smiled when I heard the high pitch vacuum sound. Took it out for a test drive and people that were walking on the sidewalk actually turned around because they could hear me coming behind them. The intake gave the engine the roar that it should have under acceleration. The power with the intake by itself isn't a dramatic gain, but it is noticeable.

Next I will be installing the Magnaflow Competition cat-back exhaust for more power and way-louder muscle-car sound. After that, I'm going to order one of the tuners from American Muscle. After those 2 additions, I'm sure I will notice a substantial gain over the stock power.

Then, it'll be time for an Eibach Pro-kit 1" drop, front & rear sway bars, the strut tower brace, and .25" spacers for the rear wheels.
Old 7/22/11, 12:47 PM

BlueBeast, are you running stock Pony Pkg wheels and tires? I am waiting on mine still but plan to go a bit bigger with the tires. Just wondering if I should consider wheel spacers again to fill out the rear wells. I have them on my 2000 and they improved the look a lot.
Old 7/22/11, 01:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tripleshot McC
BlueBeast, are you running stock Pony Pkg wheels and tires? I am waiting on mine still but plan to go a bit bigger with the tires. Just wondering if I should consider wheel spacers again to fill out the rear wells. I have them on my 2000 and they improved the look a lot.
Yep, stock wheels and tires. When I lower it, I will probably put the .25" spacer on the rear only just so the tires won't look so tucked in under the rear fender. The front fenders look like they are a little too close to tires and will be really close after a drop. I probably won't risk spacers on the front so I won't have any clearance problems.

When it's time for tires, I will most likely go a little wider with P255/45R18's on the rear to keep the same ride height and to give it a slightly beefy look with the spacers. Anything wider seems like it would be too wide for the wheels and I want to keep the look somewhat stock. I kinda like the silver Pony Package wheels too.

I figure with spacers and wider tires on the rear, the handling and cornering may improve a tad too.
Old 7/25/11, 11:58 AM

BlueBeast, yeah, I agree, it impoves the look. I plan to do a 1" approx. drop with FRPP N springs and I haven't gotten a good look at a V6 Vert dropped yet, so no idea what the spacing looks like. But, I really liked what my 1" spacers did for my 2000 Vert. I agree on the wheels too, saw my first 2012 Pony Pkg wheels last weekend at a dealership. Like them best of all the stock wheel options actually and I too plan to go with 255/45zR18s. I just go down to my local Discount Tire the day I get my car and they give me a fair price for the stock tires in trade for the new BFGs. Did that with my last 2 cars. With the drop, the wider tires and the spacer, I hope to have the look I am looking for. Post pics when you get yours done! Thanks
Old 7/28/11, 07:50 PM
V6 Member

Any idea on the fuel mileage gains? At least an estimate.
Old 7/28/11, 07:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Iseador
The cars seems to get an increase of about 2 - 2.5mpg city and about 4 - 4.5mpg highway.
Old 7/28/11, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Very nice, I'll likely be ordering one at some point this weekend.
Old 7/28/11, 09:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iseador
The cars seems to get an increase of about 2 - 2.5mpg city and about 4 - 4.5mpg highway.
From a CAI install?

Not going to happen.

You'd be lucky to be able to measure any increase in MPG that you could attribute to the CAI.
Old 7/29/11, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I did get an increase in mpgs, but not 4mpg.
Old 7/29/11, 07:29 AM
V6 Member

This was my 25 mile highway drive to work the day after I installed it traveling between 45mph - 70mph.
Old 7/29/11, 08:18 AM
V6 Member

Everything I've read said as long as you keep your foot out of the floor, you should see around a 1-3 mpg increase depending on traffic ect.

Quick Reply: Ordered The Airaid V6 CAI From American Muscle