Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Newbie Mod Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/13, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Mod Recommendations

Hey guys just got my 14' V6 about a week ago and I'm ready to add some goodies. I just had a set GT500 ABs put on last week that I got from a local. Originally wanted a new set but after waiting for weeks for AM rep to reply (luckily he didn't) I went with the used set still in really good condition for a good price. Now I'm contemplating on either Tune/CAI or a drop. Any recommendations on both is appreciated. How durable is a set of springs on stock struts and shocks?
Old 9/17/13, 04:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I really like my Eibach Pro-Kit springs and dampers. You get about an inch drop without overly sacrificing the ride or messing up the dynamics like worrying about pinion angle.

But since its close to the same amount of money, I'd get some 3.73 gears and tune. Best bang for the buck IMO out of all the mods you can do.

Last edited by hogasswild; 9/17/13 at 04:54 AM.
Old 9/17/13, 04:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Also as for tune try out MPT. I switched in July and am not going back to Bama. I got several datalogs and revisions with Bama, but one try with MPT got it right.
Old 9/17/13, 08:59 AM

any specific reasons why? I see MPT doesnt include lifetime tuning for future mods? :/
Old 9/17/13, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
No ... but Steeda does!

A cold air intake with tune will provide more enjoyment than just lowering ... in my opinion.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/17/13, 12:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1000 abso-friggen-lutely
Old 9/17/13, 02:06 PM
V6 Member

Question What's up with the Steeda free tunes for life?

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
No ... but Steeda does!

A cold air intake with tune will provide more enjoyment than just lowering ... in my opinion.

Best Regards,

TJ
Hey TJ;
Just went to Steeda's website to check this out. When you go to purchase the tuner, it does not say anything about free tunes for life (item #388-3000 - SCT X3 Mustang Tuner - $379.89), but if you click on "Steeda Certified SCT Custom Tune, it indicates the item as "999-TUNE-4-LIFE - Steeda Custom Mustang Tune - $150.00". So is the tunes for life an additional $150 to the $379 for the SCT tuner? Check it out, the website's very misleading at the moment. I think some clarification is in need.
Thanks in advance.
Old 9/17/13, 03:13 PM

No ... but Steeda does!

Best Regards,

TJ
Good thing you stopped by TJ, I was leaning towards the Steeda CAI and havent made up my mind on a tune yet. Could you pm me some numbers please, thanks!
Old 9/17/13, 07:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
When you purchase the tuner ... you get the tunes for life included in the purchase of the tuner at $379.89.

If you purchase the tunes and already have a tuner ...then it would be $150.00.

I will let the webmaster know that there is confusion.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/17/13, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

MPT is $75 for a tune and it comes with six months of follow on tuning. For a guy like me who is pretty much done, it's a great alternative and consistently has been proven to perform better than Bama, at least on an NA 3.7.
Old 9/18/13, 07:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
MPT is $75 for a tune and it comes with six months of follow on tuning. For a guy like me who is pretty much done, it's a great alternative and consistently has been proven to perform better than Bama, at least on an NA 3.7.
After all the research on the tuners, I'll probably start out with either Bama or Steeda, and eventually end up with MPT. But this will be over time, I'm in no hurry at the moment as I just got the car a little over 4 months ago.
Old 9/18/13, 07:53 AM
V6 Member

When you purchase the tuner ... you get the tunes for life included in the purchase of the tuner at $379.89.

If you purchase the tunes and already have a tuner ...then it would be $150.00.

I will let the webmaster know that there is confusion.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ, cause for that kind of money, things should be real clear as to what you are getting and what your are not. Steeda strikes me as a stand up company, but the devil is in the details when comes to high dollar purchases.
Old 9/18/13, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by StangDawg
After all the research on the tuners, I'll probably start out with either Bama or Steeda, and eventually end up with MPT. But this will be over time, I'm in no hurry at the moment as I just got the car a little over 4 months ago.
Ive read up on the different tunes as well and was going to try out Bama from AM but theyre not too responsive (maybe its just me? idk) so I'll just try Steeda first.
Old 9/18/13, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Kdow4
Ive read up on the different tunes as well and was going to try out Bama from AM but theyre not too responsive (maybe its just me? idk) so I'll just try Steeda first.
Not too responsive, how? Did you ask via this forum or did you contact Bama/American Muscle directly. AM is one of the most responsive companies I've ever delt with, so that would surprise me that they're not responsive.
Old 9/18/13, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by StangDawg
Not too responsive, how? Did you ask via this forum or did you contact Bama/American Muscle directly. AM is one of the most responsive companies I've ever delt with, so that would surprise me that they're not responsive.
I contacted via forum pm, maybe theyre busy? I give them benefit of the doubt cause Ive read good things a bout them as well
Old 9/18/13, 04:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OP, Go with tune and gears. Great mods and will transform your car into a different animal. As far as tuning companies. I recommend going with a free tunes for life deal first. I am running AM tunes and MPT tunes. I can't speak about Steeda tunes because I don't have them but always heard solid things about them. My MPT tune feels more powerful than my hybrid tune, however when Dyno next week the numbers will show who has the more powerful tune. MPT vs Bama.

I am actually thinking of getting the Steeda tune that way I have a third tune to compare. The more you try out the more first hand knowledge one has.
Old 9/18/13, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
OP, Go with tune and gears. Great mods and will transform your car into a different animal. As far as tuning companies. I recommend going with a free tunes for life deal first. I am running AM tunes and MPT tunes. I can't speak about Steeda tunes because I don't have them but always heard solid things about them. My MPT tune feels more powerful than my hybrid tune, however when Dyno next week the numbers will show who has the more powerful tune. MPT vs Bama.

I am actually thinking of getting the Steeda tune that way I have a third tune to compare. The more you try out the more first hand knowledge one has.
Yeah some tough choices to make, i'm going with intake and tune first though. How much would it cost to install the gears?
Old 9/19/13, 06:45 AM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kdow4
Yeah some tough choices to make, i'm going with intake and tune first though. How much would it cost to install the gears?
FYI: 3.73s see my 2.73s *** all day. You can get much power without adding gears. I like my long gears, as the guy next to me is slamming through gears to hang with me.
chirps through 3rd if I want it to.(auto/selectS)
You can gain more low end power with a couple more modifications(short headers, TB, xpipe(mid range helps too.), etc.
I suggest a tune. You can work with the programmers to shift and adjust the slip as you would like.
I am getting 32mpg on the highway. 93RH tune. with a baby foot.
I have a family member that has 3.73 gears and I prefer my ratio. I also have more mods.
Changing your ratio to a shorter throw(3.73) will keep you in the power band for your current setup.
Old 9/19/13, 08:40 AM
V6 Member

CVH:
I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading my gears, but it's interesting what you say about your 2:73 gears, which is what I have. Can you tell be what mods you have? Very curious about your combination of mods and who manufacturers them.

Last edited by StangDawg; 9/19/13 at 01:55 PM.
Old 9/19/13, 11:33 PM

That is interesting, I see/read that gears is a game changer, makes me want to test drive both and really see for myself

Quick Reply: Newbie Mod Recommendations