Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Need More Power

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/16, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need More Power

I have a 2014 3.7L V6 I have put a cold air intake larger throttle body and a diablo 93 octane tune my next step is to do a cat back exhaust but I feel besides a supercharger (which I cant afford right now) I am limited as to what I can do to get more power does anyone have any other things I can do to squeeze more HP out of it?
Old 5/5/16, 08:50 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Headers. Long tube or shorty. I went with long tubes but if you live where they check emissions, go with short tube headers. You get to keep the factory catts
Old 5/5/16, 08:54 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Also, what rear gears do you have? look for a little white sticker on the rear end pumpkin that has the ratio on it if you look under your Mustang.
Old 5/6/16, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spend the money and upgrade to a GT. You'll never be satisfied with the power out of the 6. Even boosted it will barely hang with a stock GT. Just make it look mean. That's what I did with my 13 V6. It's never going to hang with the V8s.

I did eventually upgrade to a GT. Picked my my 16 GT a few months back.
Old 5/6/16, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ ever thought people buy a v6 because they can't afford a gt?

So we should help them answer their questions instead of telling them to buy a gt.

A supercharger will definitely put you up to the 400-450 rwhp.

A GT is about 370 rwhp stock. So yeah not only will it beat a GT, but it will beat it by a mile.

Anyways, back to your earlier question. I would suggest to get shorty headers, xpipe and catback exhaust; then you should be full bolt on looking at 300rwhp. Also get a custom tune from HPP or Lund. Stock tunes from diablo and sct aren't that good.

Last edited by iceD; 5/6/16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 5/7/16, 11:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the best mods you can do with these cars is a ported and polished intake manifold. Borla long tube headers are another great option though a bit pricey. I wouldn't suggest BBK long tubes, they have had some issues.

Lol at the thought that a boosted 6 will "barely hang" with a stock GT. Sorry, but that is total BS. These cars can push over 500whp with boost on stock bottom end, which is more than enough to spank even a moderate bolt on GT.
Old 5/8/16, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

^ you couldn't have said it better. boosted 11-14 v6 base numbers are 400-450rwhp.

*Moderate, base numbers*

Of course a lot of people push past 450rwhp.
Old 5/8/16, 11:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm not trying to start a fight but I think how much, how, or if you mod it depends on goals. There is mention of just buying a gt. This recommendation was from someone that has a v6. Used gts are very affordable now. I try and think of my mods based on a maximum budget. I really wanted a boss but couldn't afford it. Based on the used gt I bought, it was 10 thousand more for the boss. I settled on the idea that I wouldn't spend more than 5 thousand to get my car as close to boss as I could. If I couldn't reach my goal with the budget, I'd save the money and try to find a used boss later. I think this example applies to the v6 too. If you just want faster, the mods listed above should be great. I think the op needs to decide a goal for the car and a budget. Then the recommendations can meet those goals.
Old 5/8/16, 11:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I owned a new 11 v6 and was continually and unsatisfyingly dumping money into mods: including interior, performance, and exterior.

Imagine my surprise when I was able to swing a barely used GT a couple years later for less of a car payment down the road...

Best decision I ever made! Good luck with your choices
Old 5/8/16, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I'm not trying to start a fight but I think how much, how, or if you mod it depends on goals. There is mention of just buying a gt. This recommendation was from someone that has a v6. Used gts are very affordable now. I try and think of my mods based on a maximum budget. I really wanted a boss but couldn't afford it. Based on the used gt I bought, it was 10 thousand more for the boss. I settled on the idea that I wouldn't spend more than 5 thousand to get my car as close to boss as I could. If I couldn't reach my goal with the budget, I'd save the money and try to find a used boss later. I think this example applies to the v6 too. If you just want faster, the mods listed above should be great. I think the op needs to decide a goal for the car and a budget. Then the recommendations can meet those goals.
Exactly my point. You explained it better.

Everybody has a budget. Like you said, you wanted a Boss, but settled for a GT. There will always be a car out there with more HP than yours. If you want a shelby, but can't afford it, you will settle for a gt.

Same goes for v6 owners (most of them anyway). They want a GT, can't afford it, so they settle for a V6.

Yes used GT's are very affordable now. But the insurance, gas and car payments (sometimes) are not. But since they are affordable 20-22k, car payments are less than a new v6.

So yeah. That's it in a nutshell.
Old 5/8/16, 07:50 PM

Flame suit on: I don't miss my old V6 at all. Not a single thing about it.
Old 5/8/16, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

good. you shouldn't if you can afford a gt. otherwise people would really call you a name you wouldn't like
Old 5/8/16, 10:12 PM
V6 Member

For me it had nothing to do with money. Initially I bought it because it was just supposed to be a reliable and fuel efficient daily, and I kept it because I liked it and I saw how it could be made into something extremely unique. 5.0s are nothing special unfortunately. You see them all the time and they don't turn many heads at the drag strip. There's nothing out there quite like my car right now and I really like that.
Old 5/8/16, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by iceD
good. you shouldn't if you can afford a gt. otherwise people would really call you a name you wouldn't like
You missed the point too busy thinking I'm being mean. The point is: good things come to those who wait. I couldn't afford it until prices went down on the GT's. I'm a low paid teacher that the government cares nothing about. Never again will I buy new, my insurance and car payment went down, GT's are affordable now with the new body out.,,

Last edited by Getportfolio; 5/8/16 at 11:37 PM.
Old 5/8/16, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by GatorV6
For me it had nothing to do with money. Initially I bought it because it was just supposed to be a reliable and fuel efficient daily, and I kept it because I liked it and I saw how it could be made into something extremely unique. 5.0s are nothing special unfortunately. You see them all the time and they don't turn many heads at the drag strip. There's nothing out there quite like my car right now and I really like that.
Again, as a former v6 owner, I have nothing but good things to say about the cars. However, the GT's are something special and that why forums like this get started. I loved my v6 to death but in all honesty after driving the GT, I knew what I was missing all along according to my tastes of performance and sound. Please don't confuse that with hatin! I've been here a while. Cheers
Old 5/9/16, 06:35 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Again, as a former v6 owner, I have nothing but good things to say about the cars. However, the GT's are something special and that why forums like this get started. I loved my v6 to death but in all honesty after driving the GT, I knew what I was missing all along according to my tastes of performance and sound. Please don't confuse that with hatin! I've been here a while. Cheers
I can understand that for sure. The sound is the one thing that really makes me want a 5.0. And stock it's certainly much more special. But because the 5.0 is the obvious enthusiasts choice, well done or highly modified 6ers are pretty rare. That's what makes it cool to me. I probably could have stretched for a 5.0 S197 back when I was car shopping (2015 so they were all used) but had I done that I wouldn't have had much money left over for mods or for my other car (which was technically a project while the Mustang was just supposed to be a daily). I never imagined myself with a V6 Mustang project car, but once I started to realize the potential of the new 6s, my plans started to change. Besides, it's fun to play the underdog sometimes.
Old 5/9/16, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
You missed the point too busy thinking I'm being mean. The point is: good things come to those who wait. I couldn't afford it until prices went down on the GT's. I'm a low paid teacher that the government cares nothing about. Never again will I buy new, my insurance and car payment went down, GT's are affordable now with the new body out.,,
I hear you
Old 8/19/16, 12:41 PM

I am considering just a bama tuner and run premium tune. Sure nothing sounds better than a v8 mustang, but no way I am handing the key to a v8 to my 16 year old. That is why I got a v6, cause it is going to be hers in 3 years.
Old 8/19/16, 05:25 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a V6 because a 0-60 of mid 5s is fast enough for me. im over 16 so i dont need to pretend on car forums that i live at a drag strip
Old 8/20/16, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by whowasthat
i got a V6 because a 0-60 of mid 5s is fast enough for me. im over 16 so i dont need to pretend on car forums that i live at a drag strip
You can be whatever you want here.

Quick Reply: Need More Power