Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Narrowed down to two...

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/14, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Narrowed down to two...

It looks like my wife is going to let me upgrade my exhaust (cat or axle back) for my birthday this month. I have it narrowed down to:

Magnaflow Street (cat back) $699
MBRP Cat back exhaust $547 (408 S.S.) $477 (aluminized steel)
All are mandrel bent 2.5" pipes.

I "plan" on eventually upgrading all the exhaust (headers, high flow cats, h-pipe, mid-pipes, (is that right, or is the mid pipe replaced with the H?)) I wouldn't mind an axle back, but those only seem to save around $60, so why not take it back to the cats? Is there anyone near Atlanta with a V-6 that has either one of these on a 3.7 that I can listen to? I know that's the best way to choose, but based on the sound clips online, I like the sound of these ones the best. I want a deep growl (as deep as a V6 can make) but not obnoxious, minimal/no drone. I don't like a raspy sound, even at WOT. I don't like gurgles/pops. I don't want to wake my neighbors rolling in after work after midnight. Any other ones I should consider?
Old 6/1/14, 12:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ageless1
It looks like my wife is going to let me upgrade my exhaust (cat or axle back) for my birthday this month. I have it narrowed down to:

Magnaflow Street (cat back) $699
MBRP Cat back exhaust $547 (408 S.S.) $477 (aluminized steel)
All are mandrel bent 2.5" pipes.

I "plan" on eventually upgrading all the exhaust (headers, high flow cats, h-pipe, mid-pipes, (is that right, or is the mid pipe replaced with the H?)) I wouldn't mind an axle back, but those only seem to save around $60, so why not take it back to the cats? Is there anyone near Atlanta with a V-6 that has either one of these on a 3.7 that I can listen to? I know that's the best way to choose, but based on the sound clips online, I like the sound of these ones the best. I want a deep growl (as deep as a V6 can make) but not obnoxious, minimal/no drone. I don't like a raspy sound, even at WOT. I don't like gurgles/pops. I don't want to wake my neighbors rolling in after work after midnight. Any other ones I should consider?
Congrats on getting permission to pull your man card out and use it. Good job bro.
Old 6/1/14, 05:41 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I would just get some axle backs until you know what all you will be doing to your exhaust in the future. Ideals (plans) change, new products are sold etc.
Old 6/1/14, 07:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Young
I would just get some axle backs until you know what all you will be doing to your exhaust in the future. Ideals (plans) change, new products are sold etc.
Good advice right there considering you are wanting what sounds like a fairly specific exhaust note from your Mustang. I just wanted to get as close to the V8 rumble as I could get, and not really caring about how loud it got or drone. Because when you put headers and an aftermarket x-pipe on (be it long tubes,shorties, high flow catted, off-road, etc) it will change the sound of your exhaust dramatically. Axle backs are cheaper (usually) and easier to swap than cat backs so as you do other mods it will be easier to swap out mufflers if you find after adding other parts its too loud, raspy, etc.
Old 6/1/14, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The streets are going to be about as loud as stock. I'd lean towards the Borlas of you can swing the cost. The ATAKs sound amazing and no drone.
Old 6/2/14, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I also suggest Borla..I'm running S-types. Although you said you wanted to avoid the popping...I haven't heard a V6 exhaust yet that gets rid of it.
Old 6/3/14, 10:03 AM

I have the FRPP Sports Axle Backs and I am happy with them. They are expensive but you will not get tired of'em. No drone !