Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

JLT CAI Testing and results on 2011 V6

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/10, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JLT CAI Testing and results on 2011 V6

JLT Performance Inc 2011 Mustang V6 NO TUNE CAI testing.
I thought I'd start a new thread now that we joined up as a supporting vendor on The Mustang Source.

Several weeks ago we got a hold of a 2011 Mustang V6 with an automatic transmission and started to mock up our cold air intake. Well we had the proto type parts made and got the car back for some dyno testing.

Except for a Magnaflow axle back muffler system the car is bone stock and very impressive, putting down 237 - 238 RWHP and 213-217 RWTQ.

The JLT CAI for the 2011 V6 is a NO TUNE intake, so we removed the stock setup and installed our carbon fiber intake system. All new for the 2011 V6 CAI is our incorporated MAF housing, this makes for a nice clean look, but also makes for a very smooth interior air path with less interruptions from couplers and separate MAF housings. Also new for the 2011 V6 is the large ABS plastic airbox that utilizes the fresh air duct in the grille and seals to the hood.

The next few pulls were amazing, the car responded very well and power jumped to 254 RWHP and 234 RWTQ. We made several runs to back this up and all were within a couple HP of each other. This was GREAT, because we only expected about 10 on the automatic and got 15-18 RWHP and 15-23 RWTQ!!

After we got our data we added a SCT tune to see what it would do. It picked up a few HP and TQ, but the big gain was the raise of the RPM limit. Instead of shutting down around 6k it would rev to 7k+. This and the improved shifts make for a great combo.

We have a stick car to test on, but it’s getting hard to get our schedules lined up right. I hope to have those numbers very soon.
The kit should be ready next month and will be available in Carbon Fiber and painted exact body color.
Pricing will be in the $299 range.

Keep an eye out for more testing and pictures from JLT.

Thank you
Jay Tucker
Before and after video

Old 12/10/10, 08:46 AM
GTR Member

Okay, I just looked at the youtube video and looked at the dyno charts more closely and just realized why your power seems so low.

You guys didn't take the speed limiter out of the stock tune did you???

The dyno climb stopped suddenly just below 6000 rpm.

You guys are short changing yourselves and your dyno numbers by quite a bit.

You should go back in and make another set of pulls with the speed limiter off and make sure the converter is locked in the gear you do the pull in, then you will get a much better dyno run.
Old 12/10/10, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your 100% right, but we don't feel we short changing our self, but did the test the way any customer would.

The average customer can't remove the speed limiter/rev limiter so we did the test the real world way.

All number would be higher for sure, but if we fooled with the tune that would open a whole nother can of worm with people saying we made power in the tune or we screwed with the stock tune or something.
The more we mess with a test the more speculation.

This test can be performed and repeated by any customer.

Good catch though
Old 12/10/10, 09:29 AM
GTR Member

Well, for most any customer that goes for the CAI, the tuner will be the next step.

I would like to see you repeat the test when you add the tuner with a before and after runs without the speed limiter. Test without and with the CAI and then add the tune.
Old 12/10/10, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know about most, but yes, lots of customers will get a tuner with in the first few mods, but they will not be able to raise the rev limiter and keep all other peramiters stock.
It can only be done with the SCT advantage software.
So all testing will still be done the same way.
Run it stock, swap the part and run it again.

Thanks
Jay
Old 12/10/10, 09:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good
Proof = a lot

Will there be a black plastic finish? the carbon fiber looks good, but for those that prefer a stock look..?

Is the cone filter self made or is it borrow from K&N , reason i ask is for cleaning purposes?

Will there be an intro price or TMS discount, to start getting these exposed????

Last edited by a_guerrajr; 12/11/10 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12/11/10, 02:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm guessing the stock engine would have made an extra 5 HP above 6000 rpm so I would factor that in to comparisons.
Old 12/11/10, 06:27 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr
Looks good
Proof = a lot

Will there be a black plastic finish? the carbon fiber looks good, but for those that prefer a stock look..?

Is the cone filter self made or is it borrow from K&N , reason i ask is for cleaning purposes?

Will there be an intro price or TMS discount, to start getting these exposed????
I bought a K&N cleaning and oil kit for my C&L cone filter, same color and was on sale. My last car was a MOPAR and they use a blue dye color in the oil for their cone filters, so i used a MOPAR cleaning kit for it.

A K&N cleaning kit will work just fine
Old 12/13/10, 06:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
I'm guessing the stock engine would have made an extra 5 HP above 6000 rpm so I would factor that in to comparisons.
And by the look of the graph the JLT run would have been equally higher. It's all relative.

Many have said the numbers look low over all, well that's becasue we use SAE corrected numbers that are more "real world"

Many shops will use "uncorrected numbers" that are higher and make people happy

Just to show you the car isn't low in comparison to what others are seeing these are uncorrected numbers on the same runs.
Now remember this car is an auto, so the numers will be lower.

Also we tested on a manual car this past weekend and are gathering the results now.

Look for a post later today

Jay

Last edited by Tucker; 12/13/10 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12/13/10, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tucker
And by the look of the graph the JLT run would have been equally higher. It's all relative.

Many have said the numbers look low over all, well that's becasue we use SAE corrected numbers that are more "real world"

Many shops will use "uncorrected numbers" that are higher and make people happy

Just to show you the car isn't low in comparison to what others are seeing these are uncorrected numbers on the same runs.
Now remember this car is an auto, so the numers will be lower.

Also we tested on a manual car this past weekend and are gathering the results now.

Look for a post later today

Jay
Sounds good. Is it possible to elimenate the speed limiter of the tests for the manual car? I think its a better comparison and would let up see how the new CAI compares to stock at higher rpm.
Old 12/13/10, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm curious: Are you planning on making a tune-required intake for the V6 as well, or is this one already the best it can get?

I'm looking forward to seeing someone eclipse 300whp with the 3.7!
Old 12/13/10, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
Sounds good. Is it possible to elimenate the speed limiter of the tests for the manual car? I think its a better comparison and would let up see how the new CAI compares to stock at higher rpm.
The difference is the difference. As RPM increases the power levels off on all counts and no one will ever be able to test there car without the limiter without custom tuning.
It's actually hitting the speed limiter at 110mph and not rpm limit. See below for some good info.
Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I'm curious: Are you planning on making a tune-required intake for the V6 as well, or is this one already the best it can get?

I'm looking forward to seeing someone eclipse 300whp with the 3.7!
No need to go bigger on this one and require a tune. This CAI can handle big numbers.
We did more tune testing so check it out below.
Jay
Old 12/13/10, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

We got our hands on a 6 speed manual 2011 V6 to do even more testing on and here are the results.

As always, we made a couple back to back base line runs to get a starting point. This car is 100% stock and put down 241 RWHP and 226.9 RWTQ. These are SAE corrected numbers and all dyno runs were done in 4th gear due to hitting the speed limiter in 5th.

We then added the JLT CAI kit and made some more runs. Peak power jumped to 251 RWHP and 236 RWTQ for a gain of 10 RWHP and 10 RWTQ, but much larger gains if 19 RWHP and 24 RWTQ were found throughout the mid range and that’s where you will really feel it.

So we fired up our SCT software and built a custom tune for 87 octane and made another run to see what we could gain as a package. The power was very nice and smooth throughout the run adding 7 HP and 4 TQ, but extended the RPM limit well beyond the factory shut down carrying power all the way.

As mentioned above all numbers here are SAE corrected and done in 4th gear. Many are seeing numbers in the 250 range stock and that is when the dyno operator uses “uncorrected” numbers. We have posted these as well. We did try to make a 5th gear run and power shot up, but it shut down at 110mph. Which is where it’s shutting down on the 4th gear runs as well. It’s not the RPM limit it hits, but the speed limit. Next time we do some testing I’ll remove the speed limit to get some higher RPM’s, but remember it all about the difference not the over all number.

Keep an eye out for more info coming soon.
Thanks
Jay
2011 V6 manual video

Stock vs JLT CAI only vs JLT CAI & JLT custom tune
Look at the big power we gained between 3-5k

UNCORRECTED
Old 12/13/10, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

Good news

Can you answer my questions in post #6?
Old 12/14/10, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

There will be color matched and carbon fiber.

Thanks
Jay
Old 12/14/10, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Am I looking at this graph properly? Is that really a 40 lb/ft gain at 3500 RPM?!

No wonder I see all the 3.7 guys praising tunes so highly; Awesome stuff.
Old 12/14/10, 07:17 AM
V6 Member

There will be color matched and carbon fiber.

Thanks
Jay
But no black plastic only?
Old 12/14/10, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Am I looking at this graph properly? Is that really a 40 lb/ft gain at 3500 RPM?!

No wonder I see all the 3.7 guys praising tunes so highly; Awesome stuff.
@ 3500 your seeing 37 RWTQ from the CAI only and an additional 2 from the tune.
Also 28 RWHP from the CAI only and an additional 1 from the tune.

So tunes are good and intakes are good, but together they are great!

Also,
There will be black, color matched and carbon fiber.

Thanks
Jay

Last edited by Tucker; 12/14/10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12/14/10, 03:45 PM
V6 Member

@ 3500 your seeing 37 RWTQ from the CAI only and an additional 2 from the tune.
Also 28 RWHP from the CAI only and an additional 1 from the tune.

So tunes are good and intakes are good, but together they are great!

Also,
There will be black, color matched and carbon fiber.

Thanks
Jay
Is the black going to be any cheaper?
Old 1/24/11, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

We did more testing on the 2011 Mustang V6 with our JLT Cold Air Intake and some custom tuning with SCT software.
As always we start our testing by doing some baseline runs. You MUST baseline the car the same day you plan on testing any product. We have tested this car before when it had 87 octane gas in it and now it’s filled with 93 octane. All runs were done in 4th gear because running in 5th created too much load and the computer was pulling timing, so to compare apples to apples all runs today and in the past were done in 4th gear.
So let the surprises start. The first thing we noticed was the gain in HP and TQ over our previous testing with 87. Now, remember what I just said about testing the same day, but this difference is worth noting.

This is due to the computer being able to tell what fuel is in the car and changing the timing tables to make use of that octane and make more power. This bit of info will come in handy when you are researching tuners or tunes. Beware of “claimed” gains that use 87 as a base line and 93 as a final, the difference will be huge.
After a few stock runs, we swapped the stock airbox for the JLT Carbon Fiber CAI and made a couple more runs. This resulted in nearly 9-12 RWHP and 8-10 RWTQ through out the entire run with much more in the lower RPM’s.

Looking for more we fired up the SCT Advantage software and built a custom tune for the 93 octane fuel. A couple runs later and we picked up another 4-7 HP and TQ over and above the JLT intake gains. While that may not seem like a big increase, it is. Tuning the car alone should gain 10-15 RWHP and adding the intake alone, 8-12 RWHP, but when you add both they work together the over all gains are not added together, but may offset each other a little bit. Adding the tune will improve throttle response, HP, TQ, overall drivability as well as greatly improve the shifting on an automatic car.

So from bone stock to our JLT CAI and tuner package we gained as much as 17 RWHP and 22 RWTQ, not too bad.
I took the car for a ride and am very impressed at the power this V6 has. It feels like a V8 and can easily break the tires loose on a hard 1-2 shift :rockon:
Here's a video we did documenting the test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXJW2h6rkmc

As you can see in this thread, we tested 2 different cars, 1 twice with different fuel and the gains are all different. Not all cars respond to mods the same and that one of the reasons you see a range on power gains to expect.
Thanks for reading.
We are expecting to ship kits the first week in Feb. and are taking pre orders now.

Also worth noting, we have started the process of making them in textured plastic as well. This will take 6-8 weeks to get in our hands.

Thanks
Jay

Quick Reply: JLT CAI Testing and results on 2011 V6