Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

I have a 2013 mustang v6 want exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/13, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2013 mustang v6 want exhaust opinions

Need some opinions of different exhaust for my new mustang any advice I need some not too pricey but still a good sign
Old 5/7/13, 04:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The cheapest thing to do is to simply replace the mufflers with aftermarket axle-backs.

After that, it gets exponentially expensive.

Cat-back system start at $570 and go up from there.

Replacement x-pipes that bolt up to OEM manifolds are in the $400-$600 range.

Headers are from $380 (short tube) to $700 for the more expensive long tubes.

It's really hard to pick the right combination of exhaust parts because of the amazing number of choices available to you. You can go to AmericanMuscle and youtube to hear different systems, but even that's not going to be a true representation of what your car is going to sound like due to varying qualities of recording equipment used.

To *my* ears, Flowmaster Force II and Mac FlowPath sound the best.

If you want power gains, your best choice is long-tube headers. The problem with headers is that most manufacturers headers require you to use the same manufacturer's x-pipe.

Finally, if you install headers, you'll probably need to add resonators somewhere after the X-pipe to mitigate the raspiness of the 3.7 engine.

You really need to consider ALL of associated the parts when you start changing out those parts. My final advice is to keep your OEM parts until you know you're going to be happy with what you bought. I made the mistake of having a muffler shop hack up my OEM exhaust to weld in some Pypes mid-mufflers, decided I didn't like the sound, and even ended up hating it after installing headers a couple of weeks ago.
Old 5/7/13, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Great advice from jsimmons - you'll also find a ton of discussion about this topic using the search function and/or looking in the V6 modifications sub-forum. Exhaust is perhaps the most popular topic on this board, aside from complaining about the MT-82 transmission.
Old 5/7/13, 07:10 AM
Banned

I'd say keep it quiet so people think it's a GT
Old 5/7/13, 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

Go to advance auto, buy two fart cans, weld on, enjoy.
Old 5/7/13, 07:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just keep in mind that there are no exhaust systems, cat-back, axle-back or full headers on back exhaust that will make it sound like a V8, it just ain't gonna happen.

Now, if you can resign yourself to that fact you will be much happier with any exhaust that you end up installing.

One that soiunds pretty good on the 3.7 is the GT500 muffler set, and if you can find a take-off set you can get out real cheap. There is cutting and welding involved since the pipe size on the GT500 is 1/2" bigger than the V6 but this is something any muffler shop can do for you for a minimal charge.
Old 5/7/13, 07:56 AM
GT Member

The prices shot up since I did mine. It's almost a hundred dollars more expensive. I did the cheaper flow master and I swear its more of a European super car sound than a GT which I was looking for. Its nice and no longer sounds like a minivan.
Old 5/7/13, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Just keep in mind that there are no exhaust systems, cat-back, axle-back or full headers on back exhaust that will make it sound like a V8, it just ain't gonna happen.

Now, if you can resign yourself to that fact you will be much happier with any exhaust that you end up installing.

One that soiunds pretty good on the 3.7 is the GT500 muffler set, and if you can find a take-off set you can get out real cheap. There is cutting and welding involved since the pipe size on the GT500 is 1/2" bigger than the V6 but this is something any muffler shop can do for you for a minimal charge.
X2. I had my local muffler shop cut the ends of my V6 mufflers off, weld them onto the cut off ends of the V8. All for 80 bucks. So for $180.00, I had a set of GT500's for a V6. Great idle, nice cruising sound, and you won't **** your neighbors off.

Last edited by Bucko; 5/7/13 at 10:44 AM.
Old 5/7/13, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't go wrong with Roush axlebacks. Deep and aggressive yet one of the most affordable. You can always find a used set as well. The GT500s will sound pretty much like stock or any other touring exhaust. I don't see the point of paying money to modify your exhaust to make it sound stock. Stay away from Pypes too. Try are the cheapest fr a reason. They never fit right and will need a shop to fix the hangers to mount properly. This will negate any savings. Plus they look cheesy. Borla, Bassani, or Roush in my opinion.
Old 5/7/13, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

The loudest you can get is Roush. They have rasp at 3,000 (I like it) and drone at highway speeds when going uphill.
Old 5/7/13, 11:33 AM
V6 Member

I'd say go with the Borla ATAKs. Very loud and deep sounding. Expensive as hell, but worth it in my opinion.
Old 5/7/13, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have Bassani axlebacks on my V6. Nice deep idle and a great growl at WOT acceleration (4K+ rpm). I am very pleased with this purchase. They certainly weren't the least expensive, but they were the most exotic sounding in my opinion.
Old 5/7/13, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Can't go wrong with Roush axlebacks. Deep and aggressive yet one of the most affordable. You can always find a used set as well. The GT500s will sound pretty much like stock or any other touring exhaust. I don't see the point of paying money to modify your exhaust to make it sound stock. Stay away from Pypes too. Try are the cheapest fr a reason. They never fit right and will need a shop to fix the hangers to mount properly. This will negate any savings. Plus they look cheesy. Borla, Bassani, or Roush in my opinion.
Not true. The GT500's on my V6 have a nice rumble at idle, much more than stock. At cruising, they can be heard, but no drone, and no raspy sounds. Step on the right pedal, and they make some great sounds. And the best part is that you can still listen to music and hold a conversation with a passenger of choice.

I'd suggest you head out to a car show one weekend and listen first hand at the exhausts your interested in. Talk with the owners, have them crack the right pedal. Then make your choice. Youtube vidios do not do justice to any exhaust.

Last edited by Bucko; 5/7/13 at 01:10 PM.
Old 5/7/13, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
This is wrong! The GT500's on my V6 have a nice rumble at idle, much more than stock. At cruising, they can be heard. Step on the right drive by wire pedal, and they make some great sounds.

Nowhere near as obnoxious loud as Roush. Want to wake the dead? Get Roush, want the cops attention? Get the Roush.

I'd suggest you head out to a car show one weekend and listen first hand at the exhausts your interested in. Talk with the owners, have them crack the right pedal. Then make your choice.
I agree, you want the sixxer to have a deep tone but not be loud. The last loud 3.7 I heard sounded horrible.
Old 5/7/13, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

I had a set of Roush that I bought (and quickly sold) from this sites parts for sale section. The previous owner bought them for his newly aquired convertable. He drove with them for 2 days, and bought something else, as he stated they were too loud for him enjoy cruising with the top down. I bought them for $200.00; a steal I thought, and besides, I had a coupe, so they couldn't be too loud for me....

Installed them Saturday morning, and headed out to breakfast with my wife. Nice rumble through the neighborhood. Then I excellerated out of the neighborhood and glanced at my wife. She was waiting for me to say something. Then the floor seemed to vibrate with the drone they produced.

We had breakfast; got home, I removed them (put the stockers back on) posted them here and sold them for what I paid for them.

I think Roush V6 axle backs are like Christmas fruitcake; only one was ever made, and it simply gets passed around.

Last edited by Bucko; 5/7/13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 5/7/13, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ford Racing Mufflers.....sound great, have a deeper sound than stock, really loud when you nail it, but sound stock when cruising. No drone as well....