Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

HELP!!! -My V6 wont start after going back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/13, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^oh wow how much did that cost if you don't mind me asking. Getting a new computer from Ford seems like it would be expensive?
Old 6/10/13, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry My god, this is simply crazy.

Originally Posted by dball584
I had been through 3 or 4 SCT techs over a 2 day period and then I managed to track down a real top guy over at SCT. He was in China at the time but he worked with me back and forth over email. He gave me several ways to roll back to stock and built me a few tune files to repair it. Nothing work and I gave up after about 4 or 5 hours of working with the guy. In the end I had the car towed to a body shop and the guy who runs the shop called a few of his friends - who are in the business of reprograming blank car computers that get replaced after an accident that may have had a smashed or damaged the computer. Two different guys tried to reprogram my car back to factory but the problem was they just could not interface my cars computer. The both agreed that the computer had been wiped to the point where they could not even load a new set of programing. The computer was useless. The only thing I could do was buy a new computer from Ford and then they came back and reprogrammed that one to the 2012 factory V6 build. Have not had a problem since and I returned the SCT tuner back to AM for a full refund.

There are a lot of details I'm sure I am leaving out but you get the jist of how I resolved it. Good luck getting you car back in order.
It's a good thing that AM did the right thing and finally stepped up and refunded the money for the SCT Tuner, but I think that SCT needs to reimburse you for the new Ford ECU at a minimum. What a bunch of jerks. I was thinking of doing a tuner for one of my next mods, but I think I'll spend the money on some killer axle backs when the time comes. I really feel for you on this one, dball.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 6/10/13, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't know where to start after reading ur ordeal. I want to return to my stock tune but afraid to do so....I did take it to the shop who installed my cai, they are unwilling to take a look. So now i think I might have through the same tail chase.
Old 6/10/13, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

I wonder why its so hard to return to stock. I don't plan on using my tuner on my new Stang until the warranty is up if it all!
Old 6/10/13, 07:12 PM
V6 Member

I agree with you.

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I wonder why its so hard to return to stock. I don't plan on using my tuner on my new Stang until the warranty is up if it all!
From some of the research I've done, I thought you could always return to the stock tune without any problems in case you had to go to the dealer for some maintenance or something. Geez, what a bummer. I was really looking forward to a tune sometime in the future. I'm gonna wait to see how this all shakes out. Now I'm even suspicious of Bama tunes. Dang!

Last edited by StangDawg; 6/10/13 at 07:13 PM.
Old 6/11/13, 05:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Check the date of the original post. This thread is a year old. I have the SCT tuner from AM (purchased in April 2013) and flashed back to stock on Friday (06/07/2013) before taking my car to get the gears swapped out. I had no problems at all.

As will all things aftermarket, the manufacturer makes no warranties regarding the car that the equipment is being applied on (which is unfortunate in this case).

Problems like this are precisely the reason I want to return to a non-computer controlled power train. Yeah, you get more power and better fuel economy, but you also risk killing your car because of a simple software glitch. The smart play is to not apply a tune or mod your power train in any way, especially if you want to take advantage of the warranty.

I've already decided that when it comes time to replace this engine (or if I suddenly obtain enough cash to pull it off), I'm going with a carbed pushrod V8. At least I won't have to pay exhorbitant labor costs to have it fixed if it ever breaks.
Old 6/11/13, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
Check the date of the original post. This thread is a year old. I have the SCT tuner from AM (purchased in April 2013) and flashed back to stock on Friday (06/07/2013) before taking my car to get the gears swapped out. I had no problems at all.

As will all things aftermarket, the manufacturer makes no warranties regarding the car that the equipment is being applied on (which is unfortunate in this case).

Problems like this are precisely the reason I want to return to a non-computer controlled power train. Yeah, you get more power and better fuel economy, but you also risk killing your car because of a simple software glitch. The smart play is to not apply a tune or mod your power train in any way, especially if you want to take advantage of the warranty.

I've already decided that when it comes time to replace this engine (or if I suddenly obtain enough cash to pull it off), I'm going with a carbed pushrod V8. At least I won't have to pay exhorbitant labor costs to have it fixed if it ever breaks.
I agree. When car manufacturers started using a computer chip to control the engine, I knew it would only be more problematic from there. When I watch car shows on TV like Overhaulin, they always rebuild the engine or provide a new engine that is carbed without an ECU. It always makes me wish cars were produced that way today. Oh well, it is what it is.
Old 6/12/13, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Some final words about the whole SCT ordeal

The 91 tune I installed at first made a noticeable difference in pedal response and gas milage. I was totally sold on tuning after driving the car for about 1 week.

When it came time to roll back to factory I was left with a bricked car. This was a brand new car with maybe 3000 miles on her. All I wanted to do was get my car back to factory and not void my warranty. I also wanted to get rid of the look my wife was giving me... When I finally got through this ordeal, the only person I had to blame was me. I got caught up in the modding that I was immersed in after signing up on board like TMS and AFM. Looking back I totally regret it. To be honest -It's not like I was ever planning on putting my car on any Dynos or race tracks. Maybe take it to a few car show but that it.

My advice to anyone considering a tune, if your going to do it make sure you understand the full impact of what your doing and the possibilities of bricking your car and voiding the warranty. Not to mention this is a huge expense to fix. Also I would suggest using a tuner that plugs in directly and not Bluetooth.

Since putting it all behind me I have replaced my factory spoiler with a 3D 500 and also added Louvers. Exterior mods are less stressful

HIDs and Stripes are next.

Good luck to all of you.

D
Old 6/16/13, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dball584
The 91 tune I installed at first made a noticeable difference in pedal response and gas milage. I was totally sold on tuning after driving the car for about 1 week.

When it came time to roll back to factory I was left with a bricked car. This was a brand new car with maybe 3000 miles on her. All I wanted to do was get my car back to factory and not void my warranty. I also wanted to get rid of the look my wife was giving me... When I finally got through this ordeal, the only person I had to blame was me. I got caught up in the modding that I was immersed in after signing up on board like TMS and AFM. Looking back I totally regret it. To be honest -It's not like I was ever planning on putting my car on any Dynos or race tracks. Maybe take it to a few car show but that it.

My advice to anyone considering a tune, if your going to do it make sure you understand the full impact of what your doing and the possibilities of bricking your car and voiding the warranty. Not to mention this is a huge expense to fix. Also I would suggest using a tuner that plugs in directly and not Bluetooth.

Since putting it all behind me I have replaced my factory spoiler with a 3D 500 and also added Louvers. Exterior mods are less stressful

HIDs and Stripes are next.

Good luck to all of you.

D
I'm thinking of getting a tuner and intake reading all of these has me worried