'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

HELP!!! -My V6 wont start after going back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/12, 08:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's his posts from our local board:

July 16th
"SCT did not show any codes or I should say it didn't connect with the car, it said something stupid I can't remember. Car has power, lights, radio, windows all work,battery showed 12.8 Volts on ohmmeter. car DOES NOT CRANK "check charging system" and check advance trac" display in info center. I disconnected the battery for a few hours and retried to start, no luck. I called Ford's roadside assistance, they'll be here in the morning to take it to Friendly Ford. While it's there I'm have them check the knocking on cold start and the ****ED up whining MT-82 trans!"

July 25th
"well got the car back today from Ford, I guess it was the PCM. I have since sent the old PCM and Xcal to SCT to see what they discover, stay tuned.
P.S. the new PCM with the stock tune is whack!?"

Last edited by Hytek; 7/28/12 at 08:07 AM.
Old 7/28/12, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd wait till you hear from SCT if you can..
Old 7/29/12, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
After watching your video that same thing happened to a guy in my car club on his 11 5.0 this past week. Same exact error messages on the dash display and his SCT wouldn't download the stock tune. He ended up having it towed to the dealer for diagnosis. Dealership determined his ECU was toast and his warranty did not cover it. Ford put in a new ECU at his expense (little over $1k) and he had to send his SCT in to be unlocked because it never downloaded the stock file back to the old ECU. I will try and find out more details for you but this sounds like the same issue.
I'm convinced that dealers answer to every confusing ECU issue is that it is "fried". When I had an aftermarket alarm put in my car something happened with the ECU. The windows wouldn't roll down along with a few other strange issues. I had to take it to the dealer and they determined it was "fried". So they replaced at a cost of a grand to the installation place. So I go to pick up my car after they installed it and lo and behold, I can't pick it up at the last minute because there's something STILL wrong with the windows. The next day the tech finds the issue. A fuse was blown. So they replace that and everything is fine. I'm convinced to this day that the ECU was never blown and there were blown fuses from whatever went wrong with the alarm installation.
Old 7/31/12, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the dealer can reflash a ECU with a defective program. How do I know? I used to work for one as I'm a master Ford tech. Still, it does require the knowledge of whats wrong and what to do, its not something the book tells you to do.

Like you've said the dealer just sees this as a way to sell a part and make you feel bad for doing something custom to YOUR car that YOU paid for.

Now I'm also a SCT dealer, and Diablo too, and I can tell you from current experiences of the same thing, on even on a Friday too, that this is a SCT issue as they just released a Firmware update to repair it, please see " URGENT NOTICE FOR SCT OWNERS" thread.

The reason we as dealers cannot repair the issue is that we no longer have access to the full firmware on the device, used too. Now SCT has to remote connect into your PC with your device connected and they begin the update process, then they remove this file from your PC. The major pain here is it does take nearly 2 hours to perform this update and that doesn't include the stock recover file upload or reloading your custom tunes.

I wish I could defend SCT for this but in this concern I feel it is, both in the hardware and not allowing dealers to have the software. Still, this doesn't resolve anything, the best thing to do is IF you have a SCT device, return your car to stock and then update your device with the latest revision firmware, when you connect your device to the updater it will download it from their site. This will take some time and I wouldn't recommend doing it on a Friday just in case.

Thanks, Doug
Old 7/31/12, 04:02 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dball584
Great - $1000 bucks on top of the $469 for the tuner....
Where's SCT backing up the customer for SCT's error!?!?

Like the #8 issue where Bama finally offered a warranty.
Old 7/31/12, 04:08 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Doug@C&L
and not allowing dealers to have the software.
Exactly! The Dealers should have some kind of a backup - even if its basic to "save SCT's little secrets".

Better yet EVERY customer should have some kind of a fail safe CD-rom so that in the event of a failure there is at least a basic reboot/reload process to get the device to reload the stock tune. Then the customer could drive home and get the latest full blown fix from SCT.

That simply is not that hard for SCT to figure out so that a customer is NEVER hung out to dry on the side of the road, at the track, over a weekend when SCT is closed, etc.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/31/12 at 04:10 PM.
Old 7/31/12, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

UPDATE

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Where's SCT backing up the customer for SCT's error!?!?

Like the #8 issue where Bama finally offered a warranty.

So the shop I had the car towed to had two experts try and get into the ECM. No such luck..

Today I called SCT and they issued an RMA and will fix the ECM and Tuner or replace both at their cost. I should know more about the outcome on Friday.
Old 7/31/12, 04:13 PM
Post *****

So the shop I had the car towed to had two experts try and get into the ECM. No such luck..

Today I called SCT and they issued an RMA and will fix the ECM and Tuner or replace both at their cost. I should know more about the outcome on Friday.
Well there's some good news.
Old 8/2/12, 03:05 PM

Man! This thread is making second guess about my plans to purchase a tuner like I was planning.
Old 8/2/12, 03:13 PM
Post *****

Old 8/4/12, 03:49 PM

Ouch This is all bad news for SCT. Luckily i did down load my stock tune back into the car and it starts. But after firmware update the tune revision will not update i keep getting an error. Can i drive with the stock tune in a 2010 gt with hot rod cams and a steeda cai??
Old 8/5/12, 12:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by s3phf1re
Ouch This is all bad news for SCT. Luckily i did down load my stock tune back into the car and it starts. But after firmware update the tune revision will not update i keep getting an error. Can i drive with the stock tune in a 2010 gt with hot rod cams and a steeda cai??
I wouldn't recommend that. It may damage your motor and as well your car might run lean
Old 8/7/12, 05:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This may be goodby SCT and hello Bama for future tuner buys. Then again, it will soon settle in the dust and be forgotten.
Old 8/7/12, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Bama uses SCT tuners don't they?
Old 8/7/12, 10:04 AM
GT Member

Yeah I thought bama made the tunes and used SCT for the device that uploads the tunes?
Old 8/8/12, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
So this issue only pops up when you're changing your tune right? I have a 91 Perf tune on my Escape right now, and was going to go back to my 87 Economy tune for a road trip this weekend, but my truck is running fine right now. I don't want to risk it by switching the tune. I ran the 87 Perf tune for a couple weeks, then switched to the 91 Perf tune a couple weeks ago. I am also using the iTSX. To be honest, I had a lot of little issues with the app - having to close and reopen the app multiple times to get it to connect to my vehicle, etc - so I'm worried now. I'm just going to leave it as is, as it's running fine.
Old 6/7/13, 10:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a heads up- I posted this in the main 2010 -2014 forum as well.

So Im just trying to get my car back to stock because its going into the shop and during the return to stock programming the process fails and now my car is stuck in the drive way and wont start. I called American muscle and spoke to someone at Bama. They said you have to call SCT and they will help you. SCT is closed now. Anyone have any suggestions other than unplugging the battery for 10 minutes At this point I cant even program it with the bama tunes.
how did you finally resolve this...
Old 6/7/13, 10:09 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Wanna borrow my avatar? There is a reason I made it... been there... done that...
Old 6/7/13, 10:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have issues on cold start.. bought sct tuner from dealership installed the tune which was in it and now my car wont start in cold condition... but temperature warms up it is ok... should not have done this move on my 2013 mustang a month old...
Old 6/7/13, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I had been through 3 or 4 SCT techs over a 2 day period and then I managed to track down a real top guy over at SCT. He was in China at the time but he worked with me back and forth over email. He gave me several ways to roll back to stock and built me a few tune files to repair it. Nothing work and I gave up after about 4 or 5 hours of working with the guy. In the end I had the car towed to a body shop and the guy who runs the shop called a few of his friends - who are in the business of reprograming blank car computers that get replaced after an accident that may have had a smashed or damaged the computer. Two different guys tried to reprogram my car back to factory but the problem was they just could not interface my cars computer. The both agreed that the computer had been wiped to the point where they could not even load a new set of programing. The computer was useless. The only thing I could do was buy a new computer from Ford and then they came back and reprogrammed that one to the 2012 factory V6 build. Have not had a problem since and I returned the SCT tuner back to AM for a full refund.

There are a lot of details I'm sure I am leaving out but you get the jist of how I resolved it. Good luck getting you car back in order.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! -My V6 wont start after going back to stock