Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Has anyone dyno tested a CAI on the 3.7 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/10, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys, I know the rules and am really pushing them with this posting. I am looking into becoming a supporting vendor here and hope to start than very soon.

Call it respect for the site and other paying vendors here.
The internet is pretty small, you can find it...
Old 12/9/10, 06:46 AM
GTR Member

Well, there has been a stock automatic car dyno pull at 260 RWHP and 251 RWTQ, quite a bit higher than the baseline pull here and more than the CAI and tune too...
Old 12/9/10, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just signed up as a vendor, so I'll make a new thread soon.

Ltngdrver, I'm not here to argue, but can help with info on dynos and cars.
You should know all cars are different and all dynos read different, but it's the gains in between that make the point.

We do tons of work with the GT, GT500 and the new 5.0. We are well respected in the Mustang community and that didn't come from false numbers or claims, if anything we are one of the only one to show videos and dyno graphs of the gains and prove that anyone can do it with our products.

Put it this way, I posted this thread asking for a dyno graph back in Oct and no one stepped forward, not even a manufacture that is a vendor here. Why? If you put out a product you tested it right? Well... Where's the proof??

We are sick of competing against intake companies that make claims that no one sees. If I put a number in an advertisment you will see it or very close. I read countless threads of gains half what the manufacture claims and that's BS.

Back to the dyno numbers.
I have dyned this exact car 6-8 weeks ago and it dynoed 241 RWHP with a tune and now stock it dynoed 237-238, right on par as the tune only gained 4 or so HP. (not what's claimed by tuners huh )

we have tested countless 2007-10 GT500's, they run from 400-450 RWHP on the same dyno. 50 RWHP difference on the same dyno.

4.6 GT's are 250-275 and 5.0's are 350-380 RWHP, so not every car is the same, BUT, the advertised gains on our products stay the same. 15 RWHP on a base line of 237 or 250 will be the same and you will gain the power.
Then throw in the fact that all dynos read different and no 2 cars will be the same.
Now if you see baseline numbers 20+ RWHP lower then the "norm" then it's right to ask why. I've seen this several times from 1 particular manufacture and the makes the "claimed gains" very high and unabtainable.
So, don't get hung up on the numers, but the difference in numers is what's important.

Also, research EVERYTHING. Don't go by my claims or any manufactures claims, go find customer who have seen the same thing. This is just helpful info. JLT is not out to scam anyone, we are a small company competing and doing very well against some of the biggest in the market. How, by being honest, putting out a good product and giving the service needed to keep the customer happy.

I look forward to more testing on the V6 and posting the results. I hope the compitition does the same.

Thanks
Jay
Old 12/9/10, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Well, there has been a stock automatic car dyno pull at 260 RWHP and 251 RWTQ, quite a bit higher than the baseline pull here and more than the CAI and tune too...
Wow good catch. 238 rwhp on a dynojet. WTF? That would put this automatic at around 220 rwhp on other dyno's. Motor Trend was able to get 268 rwhp on K&N's dynojet. That's been a really consistent number for stock dyno pulls from what I've seen.

Maybe the automatics come standard from Ford with 280hp.

Motor Trend K&N Research Dynojet

2011 Mustang V-6

3rd gear (1.67:1)
Horsepower: 268.06 hp @ 6700 rpm
Torque: 249.95 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Old 12/9/10, 07:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
JLT makes outstanding products. I ran the JLT CAI on my '07 GT before going with the supercharger and absolutely loved the fit, finish, and results. And, as Tucker said, dynos are NOT about the #'s, but about the change in #'s as mods are done.
Old 12/9/10, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's one @ 240 RWHP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQaDtTKaOi8

Cars will be all over the place on different dynos. We dynoed in 3rd gear.

Thanks

Jay
Old 12/9/10, 08:39 AM

I hear what you're saying. Was just a little shocked as I've not seen one come in that low. Thanks Jay for the email. I'm on the waiting list and look forward to getting the CAI in January.
Old 12/9/10, 09:55 PM

Those tune #'s seem pathetic. Especially when that "other" tune netted .5 on the 1/4 mile.... thoughts?

Id love to see 15 hp with the Intake and another 30+ with the tune. Can you say near 12 second V6 with a few other well placed tweaks
Old 12/10/10, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

What's the "other" tune?
Tunes are something that are a big benifit to the over all driving of the car. They increase throttle responce, firm up shifts, make a little power and the big part is raise the rev limiter.

.5 in the 1/4 is about 50 RWHP and that's not going to happen in a tune only on a V6, let alone any other Mustang.

The big issue I have with track testing is you can not keep all variables equal.
Everything needs to be exactly the same each run:
weather
coolant and oil temps
burn out time
launch rpm
shift rpm
tire pressure
weight

If you launch different, hook better or worse your times will change greatly and the test is not accurrate.

The dyno is the only way to monitor and control your temps and to do a fair before and after test on any performance product.
If the graph shows the power is there, then it's there.
If your track times don't change it's you.

So gaining 30+ with just a tune on this V6 is not going to happen and if tuners are telling you it will, ask for proof and a gaurantee.

The test is easy to do.
Dyno the car (make 2 base line runs to get an average)
load the tune
wait about 20 minutes to allow cool down or datalog to make sure coolant temps are the same.
then run it again.

Thanks
Jay
Old 12/10/10, 08:48 AM
GTR Member

Okay, here's what I posted in the other thread...

Okay, I just looked at the youtube video and looked at the dyno charts more closely and just realized why your power seems so low.

You guys didn't take the speed limiter out of the stock tune did you???

The dyno climb stopped suddenly just below 6000 rpm.

You guys are short changing yourselves and your dyno numbers by quite a bit.

You should go back in and make another set of pulls with the speed limiter off and make sure the converter is locked in the gear you do the pull in, then you will get a much better dyno run.
Old 12/11/10, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

so basically the speed limiter and gear the car is in is affecting the actual number of 240 RWHP stock. when others post 260RWPH.

So assuming the car had the speed limiter removed and a different gear, then that 240 should go up.

I still think JLT isn't BS anyone, like he said, they are the only ones so far with a chart & video to at least prove it.

I say if anyone doubts, buy it, dyno it before and after. if claims are false Tucker give a full refund

i wouldn't mind, i just need the 300$ to purchase.
Old 12/11/10, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tucker
What's the "other" tune?
Tunes are something that are a big benifit to the over all driving of the car. They increase throttle responce, firm up shifts, make a little power and the big part is raise the rev limiter.

.5 in the 1/4 is about 50 RWHP and that's not going to happen in a tune only on a V6, let alone any other Mustang.

The big issue I have with track testing is you can not keep all variables equal.
Everything needs to be exactly the same each run:
weather
coolant and oil temps
burn out time
launch rpm
shift rpm
tire pressure
weight

If you launch different, hook better or worse your times will change greatly and the test is not accurrate.

The dyno is the only way to monitor and control your temps and to do a fair before and after test on any performance product.
If the graph shows the power is there, then it's there.
If your track times don't change it's you.

So gaining 30+ with just a tune on this V6 is not going to happen and if tuners are telling you it will, ask for proof and a gaurantee.

The test is easy to do.
Dyno the car (make 2 base line runs to get an average)
load the tune
wait about 20 minutes to allow cool down or datalog to make sure coolant temps are the same.
then run it again.

Thanks
Jay

Bama Tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLfex60n8iU

I don't know who they are from Adam. I am not ready to buy and agree with what you are saying to a point. 4mph and .5 second gain is impressive to me regardless.

Ill wait to see dyno's and look forward to your future results. Add me to your list for the CAI please. madboy@comcast.net

Thanks for making some exciting parts!

Cheers!
Old 12/13/10, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Look how much better the launch was on the 2nd run. That's driver.
That's the problem with track testing, it's nearly impossible to make all runs exactly the same.

More testing was done this weeken and I'll be posting it in my other thread later today.

Thanks
Jay
Old 12/13/10, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

CIA

Hi Jay, help me understand something. I see from the graphs the a/f ratio drops with the cia. Am i looking at that right? If so increasing air would imply an increase in fuel therefore the need for a tune. Am new to this and would like to get up to speed with the new stuff. Thanks

Originally Posted by wrxified
That's nuts. I want one for the looks alone. Jay, get me on the pre-order list. I've sent you an email. Thanks.
Old 12/13/10, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Actually the A/F gets better.
Factory it's mid 13's. That's a little on the lean side for my taste.
The CAI adds more air and the computer makes the adjustment adding more fuel to keep it safe. It adds a tad more and brings the A/F into a better lower 13's A/F.
Then the tune puts it at an ideal 12.5-13.0

So to answer your question, no a tune is not needed and it's actually better then the stock A/F
Old 12/13/10, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Jay.
Old 12/14/10, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I think what you guys are not taking into consideration is that the automatic with stock programming is just that much slower than the 6MT. If most of you recall, the 6MT tested by Motor Trend also got about 13.7 in the 1/4. So what AM did was basically bring the efficiency of the automatic more in line with the manual. They didn't find any extra power. I highly doubt you will see much lower times than 13.5 without significant additional changes such as headers, gears, FI etc.
Old 12/15/10, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look how much better the launch was on the 2nd run. That's driver.
That's the problem with track testing, it's nearly impossible to make all runs exactly the same.

More testing was done this weeken and I'll be posting it in my other thread later today.

Thanks
Jay
It was the same driver - Steve, actually. You're good friends with him, give him a shout!

So what about the MPH gains? 4 MPH... come on.. that was from a better launch??? We both know that's a pretty strong tailwind...

And the best thing was the stock run was the best of 2 runs - 14.40 something was the first run. We used the fastest - that's uncommon!

And if you look around the country, we're right in line - Check out JJ @ WMS - His stocker went within a 100th of a second of ours (14.26 vs. 14.27). Our results are consistent. This was done on the same day, same track, same driver, same lane, same fuel, same tire pressure, same tires, within 30 minutes of each other.

Above said it best... we probably picked up 20RWHP or so, but the slop in the factory calibration is gone. It shifts quicker, and we optimize the shift schedule to rev higher. We're not claiming a 50RWHP gain... we're claiming half a second. Keep and mine this is all on 87 octane!

And our 2011 V6 Auto put down 261RWHP / 250RWHP SAE corrected on the Dynojet 224xLC with 87 octane and 2.73's.

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 12/15/10 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12/15/10, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
It was the same driver - Steve, actually. You're good friends with him, give him a shout!

So what about the MPH gains? 4 MPH... come on.. that was from a better launch??? We both know that's a pretty strong tailwind...

And the best thing was the stock run was the best of 2 runs - 14.40 something was the first run. We used the fastest - that's uncommon!

And if you look around the country, we're right in line - Check out JJ @ WMS - His stocker went within a 100th of a second of ours (14.26 vs. 14.27). Our results are consistent. This was done on the same day, same track, same driver, same lane, same fuel, same tire pressure, same tires, within 30 minutes of each other.

Above said it best... we probably picked up 20RWHP or so, but the slop in the factory calibration is gone. It shifts quicker, and we optimize the shift schedule to rev higher. We're not claiming a 50RWHP gain... we're claiming half a second.

And our 2011 V6 Auto put down 261RWHP / 250RWHP SAE corrected on the Dynojet 224xLC with 87 octane and 2.73's.
Hey Chris,
When I posted that I actually thought it was a stick car, my bad.
So that's why I feel track testing can be off. Launching a stick can change times easy.

1/2 second is huge and congrats.
We were talking about HP gains and on a stick car .1 is equal to about 10 hp, right? So .5 should be a 50 HP gaan and we both know thats not happending.

1/2 second in the auto is from the tuning for sure and I commend you for that!
Old 12/15/10, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chris,
When I posted that I actually thought it was a stick car, my bad.
So that's why I feel track testing can be off. Launching a stick can change times easy.

1/2 second is huge and congrats.
We were talking about HP gains and on a stick car .1 is equal to about 10 hp, right? So .5 should be a 50 HP gaan and we both know thats not happending.

1/2 second in the auto is from the tuning for sure and I commend you for that!
Thanks! .1 is about 10hp, yeah when we're talking about a bolt-on Mustang around this power range. That's fair.

We're excited for your intake... The dyno results look phenomenal! We're ready to throw on a JLT with some 93 and head back to the track!

Congrats, the carbon fiber is going to be huge!

Quick Reply: Has anyone dyno tested a CAI on the 3.7 V6?