'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Exhaust questions ! from header to axleback

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/12 | 02:21 PM
Banned

Exhaust questions ! from header to axleback

I had my little "ricer" phase when I was younger and I remember paying $200 for a GReddy evo 2 catback and $80 for 4-2-1 DC headers and now I look at the price for headers and they're over $400

My questions are since I want the "muscle car" sound

1) can I just get the bbk x pipe and install it with the stock exhaust?

2) can I just buy the BBK long tube headers and leave it with the stock set up, will it throw an engine code?

3) What's the difference between the h and x pipe, does the 13 v6 have both?

I'm new to all of this so please bare with me !
Old 8/18/12 | 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

You're not going to get a "musclecar sound" from a V6 unless you change the cams, and there are no aftermarket cams available that I'm aware of. Of course, I'm assuming that by "musclecar sound", you mean the uneven lope that cars with serious cammage exhibited back in the day before computers and fuel injection.

The best you can expect (and this is just my own humble opinion) is that your car will be louder. That being said, I'm leaning toward the Pypes SFM79 cat-back mid-muffler system. It costs less than most axle-back mufflers, it's made out of stainless steel, and it sounds pretty good.

I'm waiting to sell my take-off parts, and then I'll get the Pypes.

Last edited by jsimmons; 8/18/12 at 02:52 PM.
Old 8/18/12 | 02:56 PM
GTR Member

Can't "bare" with you unless you are a hot looking woman.

May be able to bear with you over your inexperience though...

No matter what exhaust you go with it will never have a "Muscle car" sound as this is a DOHC 4 Valve V6, it's physically impossible for it to sound like a V8.

Your car comes stock with an "X" pipe, it is what is known as a merge style not the classic X style, but it's still an X pipe.

The BBK X pipe is made to fit their headers so it would be a cut and weld deal to hook it to the ends of the factory head pipes.

Just using the BBK headers would also be a cut and weld deal unless you get the matching X pipe then it is a bolt on deal. You would need a tune to use the BBK headers though.

Difference between X and H is one looks like and X and the other like an H.

On the 3.7 V6, either and X or an H pipe is only for sound tuning, doesn't do much for horsepower since the exhaust pulses don't come at the correct intervals to use the X or H for scavenging like happens on a V8.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/18/12 at 02:58 PM.
Old 8/18/12 | 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jsimmons
You're not going to get a "musclecar sound" from a V6 unless you change the cams, and there are no aftermarket cams available that I'm aware of. Of course, I'm assuming that by "musclecar sound", you mean the uneven lope that cars with serious cammage exhibited back in the day before computers and fuel injection.

The best you can expect (and this is just my own humble opinion) is that your car will be louder. That being said, I'm leaning toward the Pypes SFM79 cat-back mid-muffler system. It costs less than most axle-back mufflers, it's made out of stainless steel, and it sounds pretty good.

I'm waiting to sell my take-off parts, and then I'll get the Pypes.
I've been talking to the owner of this car because he has the perfect sound I'm looking for, so I'm going thisroute for mine

Old 8/18/12 | 04:29 PM
GTR Member

And you think that sounds like a "muscle car"???

Doesn't sound like any muscle car I ever heard.

Think I'd get tired of that pretty quickly...

I get a kick out of where it says "ghost cam looping"...

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/18/12 at 04:31 PM.
Old 8/18/12 | 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
And you think that sounds like a "muscle car"???

Doesn't sound like any muscle car I ever heard.

Think I'd get tired of that pretty quickly...

I get a kick out of where it says "ghost cam looping"...
Well the closest ill get to it yea... Sounds bad to you but great to me.
Old 8/18/12 | 07:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'd be happy with mufflers that are just a tad bit louder. My car is as quiet as a Carolla. I've been looking at sound clips, research forums...I'm still somewhat confused about the best sounding exhaust for a v6. Some exhausts are loud but sound like tin cans.

I have flowmaster 40 series with stock crossover pipe on my sn95. V8 though. Quite a different story with the sound volume there.

I'm considering force 2 flowmasters for the v6. Anyone run them? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 8/18/12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 8/18/12 | 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

I personally didn't like the sound
Old 8/18/12 | 08:51 PM

Second choice is ford axel back sports...
Old 8/19/12 | 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rechner843
I personally didn't like the sound
I thought we were all talking about the loping from the ghost cam tune but I just realized you're all talking about the awful rattle and drone lol I don't like that either !
I forgot to mention he was catless in the video but now he has hiflow race cats and welded them into the xpipe which removes the drone and rattle and brings the noise down a lot.
Old 8/19/12 | 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Second choice is ford axel back sports...
I'm just going to get these first and see
http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...st-2011v6.html
Old 8/19/12 | 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mopar?

I'm just going to get these first and see
http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...st-2011v6.html
These are loud! Lol
Old 8/19/12 | 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
These are loud! Lol
I really hope so haha
Old 8/20/12 | 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

I really hope so haha
Not to worry. They are obnoxious loud. I bought a set from a guy that had them on his convertible for less than an hour. He bought new, sold them to me. I figured my coupe would be better for them not being so loud. WRONG! They are obnoxious. I ran them for about an hour. Off they came, and back on were the stock ones for now. Sold them off a week later. I think only one set of Roush for the V6 were ever made; they just keep getting sold off, much like fruitcake or those traveling paints....
Old 8/20/12 | 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bucko
Not to worry. They are obnoxious loud. I bought a set from a guy that had them on his convertible for less than an hour. He bought new, sold them to me. I figured my coupe would be better for them not being so loud. WRONG! They are obnoxious. I ran them for about an hour. Off they came, and back on were the stock ones for now. Sold them off a week later. I think only one set of Roush for the V6 were ever made; they just keep getting sold off, much like fruitcake or those traveling paints....
Well I can't find any used ones, and they're all 469 everywhere so if they were so loud and bad, wouldn't the price come down and there would be a lot on the used market?
Old 8/20/12 | 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you plan on getting BBK headers, I think the Magnaflow street catbacks are a fantastic combination. I have them on my car and get complements all the time on my exhaust tone. The Magnaflow streets are not really too loud at all and are really deep. The BBK headers are "louder" and raspy. So combining the raspy headers with the deep tone Magnaflow really gives this nice buzzing growl.

Not my car here, but if you want to get an idea what that combo sounds like, go to about the 46 second mark to start hearing it...

Old 8/22/12 | 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Well I can't find any used ones, and they're all 469 everywhere so if they were so loud and bad, wouldn't the price come down and there would be a lot on the used market?
Or, they are not selling as many as you'd think? Check out Ebay. New ones from vendors for sale all the time. If you like loud, go for them. You'll have a nice loud sound that will compare to the Honda's and Toyota's. You'll fit right in with them.

Don't take my word for it; find a weekend car meet. Find a Mustand with the Roush exhaust. Ask to have it fired up. See if you can get a ride in the car. Them make your decision. You may like that sound.
Old 8/22/12 | 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bucko
Or, they are not selling as many as you'd think? Check out Ebay. New ones from vendors for sale all the time. If you like loud, go for them. You'll have a nice loud sound that will compare to the Honda's and Toyota's. You'll fit right in with them.

Don't take my word for it; find a weekend car meet. Find a Mustand with the Roush exhaust. Ask to have it fired up. See if you can get a ride in the car. Them make your decision. You may like that sound.
I dont understand, are you saying the exhaust will "compare" to a Honda or Toyota?
I really hope you don't mean that because that'd be BS on many levels.

All the car meets around here are a bunch of ricer hondas and VWs... it sucks.
Old 8/23/12 | 08:35 AM

The roush exhaust on a v6 doesn't have a good tone in my opinion. However, They sound great on a v8. Go figure.

In addition, the tone is very loud. I love loud but this is slap your face, run and hide loud. I haven't heard many v6 upgrade exhausts in person but I have heard that one! It sounded to me like a buzz, hollow metallic, grating machine like tone. I can imagine that it is quite loud in the cabin as well. Sadly, it is very similar to the sound of a modded honda.

Im looking for the rumble, gurgle, shake, and pop sound. Where to find on a v6 is a mystery if it can even be done.

So you may need to run headers or something else if you do get the axel backs.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 8/23/12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 8/23/12 | 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm currently running the flows on my car. They sound great and are nowhere near as obnoxious as the Roush ones. No drone and are even quiet when cruising. They get to a great volume tho when you punch it. Especially with a CAI

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions ! from header to axleback