Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Exhaust and Grille mods

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/14, 08:38 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust and Grille mods

I'm looking at doing a few mods in the near future but wanted some opinions first. I've been looking around at AB's but not sure what I'm liking so far. Trying a bunch of different sound/video clips does not help as much as I would like! I have a friend with a GT getting the Roush AB and for how cheap they are for the V6 they sound great. I'm worried about getting too loud though. I want the car to make some noise but not be obnoxious or drone when I'm cruising down the highway. Any suggestions on which AB's might be a good choice?

I also have the stock V6 grille and I'm not a big fan. Anyone ever get any of the grille overlays for their car? I feel like it will just make it worse because I will see the old grille through the billet grille I want to get. Thoughts on this as well?

Any other reasonably priced suggestions for mods as well? I don't want to go overboard on spending but the only thing I've done so far is window louvers and i'm looking for more. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust and Grille mods-side_view_window_louvers.jpg  
Old 4/22/14, 08:45 PM
FR500 Member

If you get the roush exhaust id recommend some galasspack resonators to mellow put the tone (get rid of the raspyness)
Giy named dillon "BigD15" on youtube had this setup and i think ot sounds fantastic
Old 4/22/14, 08:49 PM
FR500 Member

Heres the link to one pf hos videos
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust and Grille mods-image-2844830906.jpg  
Old 4/22/14, 08:50 PM
FR500 Member

And im pretty sure there are complete grill relacements floating around
Old 4/22/14, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the bassani axle backs do really good. loud outside and quiet inside. i have long tubes and off road x on mine now but it sounded really good with just the bassani axle backs 2.
Old 4/22/14, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have borla s-types. Theyre very nice and sound great at idle and WOT.. And sound alright most of the time, but for regular driving can sometimes be too quiet. This can be good if you want control over the loudness.. Itll be loud when you step on it and quieter otherwise. Personally i want it to be a little louder at all times now so im looking into changing the mid-pipe. Full disclosure: ive never really heard mine from the outside, so all im saying is from the inside car point of view.

Recently i heard roush axle backs for the first time on a v6... Theyre freaking awesome!!! Loud deep rumble at start up and idle, and good sound level most of the time. I think theyre perfect for daily driving as long as your not constantly going over 3-4k rpm... But i only heard it from the outside.. The guy mentioned they have a little bit of drone on the highway.

Between the s-types and roush, when the guy drove next to me at regular speeds i could only hear his exhaust.. When we both did WOT then mine was about the same as his(or slightly louder, probably better sound tone/quality). At idle i could only hear his. He started his car before me, and when i started my car, his idle was still louder than my startup. It was a little embarrassing lol.

I can assure you this, s-types have no issues for daily driving.
Old 4/22/14, 10:25 PM
FR500 Member

Ive heard bassanis have a bad drome issue but i dont know for certain personally
Old 4/23/14, 03:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Mustang Club of America Upper and lower Grille
Name:  TOTD11-3-12010.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  108.4 KB
But they are spendy from Ford, I found a set on Craigslist for $200 but they were gone when I called.
I have Borla Touring with BBK Shorty headers and to me it sounds just right, to most the mufflers are to quiet.
Old 4/23/14, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Ive heard bassanis have a bad drome issue but i dont know for certain personally
in my opinion they have no drone when driving at a steady speed. you can barely even tell its not stock inside once its up to speed. with my long tubes and off road x you can somewhat tell its there if you but only if you r going up a steep incline in 6th. with the windows up my intake is louder than the exhaust but with the windows down the exhaust is a good bit louder.
Old 4/23/14, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Flowmasters sound great on the v6. I feel like going for a loud obnoxious exhaust on these cars will be too much. I personally would rather have more of a deep contained rumble. Don't get me wrong, I want my exhaust to be loud at times and it definitely is. Especially with the BBK shortys, really gives it a great tone, never disappointed when I drive my car. Major head turner.

Basically any car can be loud if you want it to be, doesn't take much to do that. But a true muscle car should roar in my opinion.

Last edited by Stacks Warmen; 4/23/14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 4/23/14, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Flowmasters sound great on the v6. I feel like going for a loud obnoxious exhaust on these cars will be too much. I personally would rather have more of a deep contained rumble. Don't get me wrong, I want my exhaust to be loud at times and it definitely is. Especially with the BBK shortys, really gives it a great tone, never disappointed when I drive my car. Major head turner.

Basically any car can be loud if you want it to be, doesn't take much to do that. But a true muscle car should roar in my opinion.
if youre in the sc area ill let you hear mine and youll change your mind. at the drag strip ive had people swear up and down its a 5.0 and i just put the 3.7 badges on the side. ive had to pop the hood so they could see several times. sounds like a 5.0 with long tubes.
Old 4/24/14, 12:08 AM
GT Member

It's too bad because I'm in NY. To be fair, I never heard what they sound like so it is possible my opinion might change. Everyone has their own opinion on something. Any axleback out there has both the positive and the negative reviews, but it really comes down to personal preference. I would love for someone to change my mind on the flowmasters but it would have to be something I heard in person before I made up my mind.
Old 4/28/14, 12:45 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Mustang Club of America Upper and lower Grille
I put those grilles on mine last spring. Couldn't be happier with the look.
Old 4/29/14, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bassani Axlebacks and Roush Hi Flow upper and lower grills. For grins you can also add the Roush chin spoiler and be money ahead over getting the Ford MCA upper/lower.
Old 4/29/14, 12:01 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

The MCA grilles painted black and emblem removed.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust and Grille mods-image-4015858098.jpg   Exhaust and Grille mods-image-1843778128.jpg   Exhaust and Grille mods-image-4227403579.jpg  

Last edited by CVH; 4/29/14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 5/9/14, 08:35 AM

I have a FRPP Sports Axle Backs and they sound awesome. They are a bit expensive but I love them. If you install a really loud exhaust please think about long run. You may get annoyed after 6-7 months as they can be really loud in the cockpit... Cheers !
Old 5/9/14, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For the grille's, I would plastidip all the chrome to hide it better. Or you can get the roush grille like someone else suggested.

I just picked up Borla ATAKs and and Airraid CAI on CL for dirt cheap. Pretty good combo. The ATAKs are loud at cold startup and WOT but have a moderate rumble just cruising. Zero drone too. I've had the Roush and they sound mean but do have some drone and it gets annoying driving long distances. You can't beat the price though.
Old 5/13/14, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CVH
The MCA grilles painted black and emblem removed.
what did you do with the emblem? ill take it off of your hands. i want to put it where the cobra was in my gt500 grille.
Old 5/14/14, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
If you get the roush exhaust id recommend some galasspack resonators to mellow put the tone (get rid of the raspyness)
Giy named dillon "BigD15" on youtube had this setup and i think ot sounds fantastic
Don't buy glasspacks. They go bad quickly. Install resonators
Old 5/15/14, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big thing to keep in mind when shopping for axle backs or cat backs for that matter is what are your plans for the rest of the exhaust down the road? If you change to aftermarket headers and/or go to an x-pipe it will dramatically change the way the rest of you exhaust sounds. I wanted as loud and free flowing as I could get (and still pass emissions) so I went with the Pypes Cat Back Mid Muffler (M-80s) Exhaust, and then later on switched to the BBK Long Tubes and Shorty Catted X-Pipe. My exhaust went from quiet, to a little loud, to very loud. The point being here is if you plan on modifying other parts of your exhaust in the future consider what the car will sound like with what ever exhaust you put on it now (be it axle/cat back etc) down the road also.... or you may end up having to switch exhausts again.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Grille mods