Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Cyle's Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/14, 05:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, Bo. That red GT looks pretty sweet, too. I've had police follow me around in my black pony. I can't imagine how much they must be attracted to you.

I like the splitters, especially with my grill. There are horizontal pieces that I think make the two match up really well. That being said, I am going to try and remove them for the lower delete mod. Wish me luck.

And, since I'm typing, here's a quick one:
Mod 13) Hash Marks
Level) Easy. Measure twice, place once. Put the first one where you want, then measure the crap out of it, so the other side matches up. Painters tape works well for placement purposes. Note: Make sure you clean under the wheel well where the vinyl will wrap.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_hashmarks_01.jpg  
Old 8/17/14, 06:19 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I appreciate that. It's not a GT though, it's a V6. I just turned 400 miles in it, so no issues with the police yet. I had an 05 red fire, and never had any police issues with that one either. As a matter of fact, I've only had 2 speeding tickets in my life - one in a Honda Civic and one in a Honda Pilot. Six Mustangs and my speeding tickets are in the Hondas....
Old 8/17/14, 08:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sid719e
I appreciate that. It's not a GT though, it's a V6. I just turned 400 miles in it, so no issues with the police yet. I had an 05 red fire, and never had any police issues with that one either. As a matter of fact, I've only had 2 speeding tickets in my life - one in a Honda Civic and one in a Honda Pilot. Six Mustangs and my speeding tickets are in the Hondas....
haha Well, I've had.. a few more speeding tickets than you, and they've all been in an Oldsmobile Alero. Even though I've been followed a few times, no tickets in the pony, yet.

That ride is still fairly new then. Congrats! And, six mustangs? Impressive. This is my first, but it will probably not be my last.
Old 8/18/14, 05:23 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back to the grille issue; the lower grille doesn't pull out like the upper grille?
Old 8/18/14, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Tinting would be a nice touch to adding to what you're doing to your ride as well.
Old 11/25/14, 08:14 PM
V6 Member

Sorry, Sid and Joe, for not getting back to you guys. Some tint would be a nice touch. But in NJ, any window tint parallel to the driver's shoulders and forward is illegal. And, the police do stop people for it regularly. And, Sid, the following verbose posts will more than answer your question.

Mod 14) Roush Lower Grille Delete
Level) A royal pain in the ***. This was easily the most difficult mod I have done to date. AM listed it as "easy", but that's assuming you have a lift and an air saw. The install manual is 26 pages long, but it has some nice pictures.

What's amusing is that replacing the top grill (The one everyone actually notices.) was really easy. This one, not so much. Lets start with the removal. After my first failed attempt (See seven posts up.) I needed to remove the lens splitters with some dental floss. Then I brought it it to a friend's house and drove the car to the top of a downgrade in his property. (I didn't have ramps, but this gave me the extra space I needed in order to work under the front of the car.) Then you need to remove about fifty thousand bolts and take off the whole front end of the car.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-mod_lowergrill_01.jpg  
Old 11/25/14, 08:21 PM
V6 Member

OK, so it was more like thirty bolts. But, there are a few different sizes, so you need to keep track of them. Then, you need to cut out the lower grill. We actually had to stop and go hunting for a tool that would do this properly. My friend found a 90 degree angle tool for my dremel, which worked perfectly. Next was adding some structural pieces to the car itself, which attach to the new lower grill. After drilling some (carefully measured) holes in the front end, the new grill gets attached via adhesive tape, screws, and clips. Finally, you put the whole thing back together and hope nothing is left over when you're done.

So, below is a pic of what your pony looks like with no front end. My friend dared me to drive it like this, but I'm lucky enough to get away with not showing my front plate. (Also illegal in NJ. But, they don't tend to bother you if you have a cool enough car.)
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-mod_lowergrill_02.jpg  
Old 11/25/14, 08:39 PM
V6 Member

So, here she is. The mod took about four hours. (Plus two more for lunch and tool hunting.) I like it and think it was a good suggestion. People have been asking me what model she is, because you just can't tell any more. And, after my next few performance mods, it's not going to be easy even after listening to her.

This part is mostly for my own posterity, but here's what I had to do with the lens splitters. After slicing them off, I needed to get some adhesion remover (Goo Gone) and spend a few hours getting all the glue off the headlights and the splitters themselves. Then, I got new double sided tape and ordered some adhesion promoter online. The tape was put on the splitters with any extra being sliced off with a razor. (The shape tapers down.) Finally, I carefully put them back on the car. This is pretty much why there's a season difference between my pics. Well, that and a little sheer unadulterated procrastination.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-mod_lowergrill_03.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-mod_lowergrill_04.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-mod_lowergrill_05.jpg  

Last edited by Cyle; 11/25/14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11/25/14, 09:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
looks fantastic!
The following users liked this post:
Cyle (5/31/16)
Old 5/31/16, 05:02 PM
V6 Member

Mod 15) BBK Shorty Headers
Mod 16) Airaid CAI
Mod 17) 3.73 Ford Racing Gears (+ tune)
Mod 18) Aluminum Driveshaft
Level) Professionally done. These were a bit beyond my skill level. (Except for the CAI, but they just threw it in while the headers were being done.) So, I had a JDM Engineering install these. The headers add a nice tone to the sound of the car. And, the gear change is like night and day. It took a little getting used to. First gear is pretty much useless now. Don't think I've used it beyond the first week after the change. I have yet to bring it to the track after these changes, but summer is approaching....

Last edited by Cyle; 5/31/16 at 05:47 PM.
Old 5/31/16, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Wanted to add one more thing while I was here. This is a video I created of the changes in the sound of the car as I added mods. It has the sound for the stock set up, then adding Borla Touring Axle-Backs, then adding BBK Shorty Headers and an Airaid CAI.

For anyone curious what these changes would do to the exhaust note, this one's for you.

Old 5/31/16, 08:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
wow like night and day! Sounds wicked...love it
The following users liked this post:
Cyle (6/1/16)
Old 7/7/17, 03:48 PM
V6 Member

Apologies. It's been a while since I've done an update.

Mod 19) JLT Black Oil Separator
Mod 20) Retro Red Shift ****
Mod 21) Weathertech Black Floor Liners
Mod 22) Raxiom Tail Light Sequencers
Mod 23) MMD 5" Shorty Antenna

Level) All of these are really really easy. The sequencers are just a bit of show for a hundred bucks, but I still get a kick out of them when I unlock the car in a parking lot. (You can see them in the video two posts back.) The shift **** was white and red, but I painted over the white to match the car.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-170707_01.jpg  

Last edited by Cyle; 7/7/17 at 04:23 PM.
Old 7/7/17, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Mod 24) Red Caliper Covers

Level) This pretty much took the same amount of work it would take to change all four tires. The covers are sized to fit, to they went on fine. The original colors were red and silver. I painted over the silver with black to match the color scheme of the car, then covers that with a clear protective coat.

These things are more then worth it just from a cleaning perspective. I actually painted the calipers red (Mod #8), but I would have to clean them with a toothbrush every now and then. With these things, hitting them with the hose when I wash the car works just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-170707_02.jpg  

Last edited by Cyle; 7/7/17 at 04:06 PM.
Old 7/7/17, 04:00 PM
V6 Member

Mod 25) Raxium Fog Light LED Kit

Level) Fairly easy. I actually did it by feel without even jacking the car. You need to be careful with the actual connection though. They need to be eased in carefully. A small plastic latch piece snapped off when I tried to do it too quickly.

The image below shows the old light on the left and the new LED light on the right. I didn't really like the yellowish color the original lights had, and I'm pretty happy with how the new ones look.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-170707_03.jpg  

Old 7/7/17, 04:03 PM
V6 Member

Mod 26) California Special Spoiler

Level) Easy to Medium. Easier with a friend though. This actually requires some drilling into the car body. So, it's important that everything is lined up carefully. The old spoiler is now a decoration in my living room.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-170707_04.jpg  

Old 7/7/17, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

Mod 27) Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace
Level) Easy, if you don't make the mistake I did. I later learned that the bolts for the strut towers are part of the crumple zone of the car. So, they sheer pretty easily. Instead of going with my gut, I went with the numbers on the torque wrench. It was too much, and I ended up sheering one of the bolts. This required the removal of the entire strut to fix.

Mod 28) Strut Tower Covers
Mod 29) CPC Battery & Master Break Cylinder Cover Kit
Level) Not bad, but these items needed to be shaped. The tower covers where hitting the tower brace, and the battery and break cylinder covers were hitting a number of things. I ended up marking off where this was happening with a marker. Then, carving pieces out with a rotary tool. It took going back and forth a few times to get it right, but it worked out in the end. They really help clean up the look of the engine bay.

+ Bonus pic of my pony in the preparation lanes at the track.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-170707_05.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-170707_06.jpg  
Old 7/7/17, 06:52 PM
V6 Member

Can't believe I almost forgot this one:

Mod 30) Complete replacement of suspension system. (M-1800-A mustang dynamic strut & shock kit, Ford racing M-18183-C upper strut mounts, ford racing M-5300-N 1" lower springs, Ford racing M-5570-A jounce bumper kit, BMR adjustable panhard rod, and BMR relocation brackets)
Level) Professionally done.

As mentioned, the one big visual shift is the lowering of an inch. The other difference is that she now handles the curvy roads around here like she's on rails.