Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Catch can

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/13, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Catch can

I know this topic has come up on the general '11 to '14 Mustang section, and it has many supporters and non supporters. In my case, I'm a huge supporter now, as I went and installed one on my 2011 3.7 V6 at the 36K mileage point. My driving typically is that I drive about 600 to 700 miles a week. It's certainly a daily driver. The majority of miles are highway (Orlando to Tampa), and average cruising speed is between 70 to 80 MPH.

After the install (passenger side) and about 400 miles of driving, I already have about a teaspoon of oil in the catch can! To me, this is significant! I can't imagine how much of this oil mist has already been sucked into the air intake runners with the stock breather tube prior to my install. This crap eventually has to deposit on the top side of the valves, and/or the tops of the pistons.

Not trying to stir anyones opinion to install/not install, just letting you know by first had experience that oil mist is indeed getting sucked into the intake manifold of your 3.7 V6.

I'll post a picture this weekend of my install, showing how much oil got captured with only 400 miles of highway driving.

Last edited by Bucko; 1/4/13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 1/4/13, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I truely believe in the catch can myself. Installed one when the car had 6K on it and glad I did. I was told to dump the oil out with every oil change but I can not wait that long. 4k miles on it and the can is over half way filled. Never knew how much oil was in the vapor.
Old 1/4/13, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Devilman
Yes, I truely believe in the catch can myself. Installed one when the car had 6K on it and glad I did. I was told to dump the oil out with every oil change but I can not wait that long. 4k miles on it and the can is over half way filled. Never knew how much oil was in the vapor.
Surprised me too. I was one of those who thought "if the engine is supposed to have one, Ford would have done it".

Having some idle time over the holidays, I made my own to see for myself. Very supprised as to how much oil mist flows through that tube and into the intake!