'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Can I connect vent hose to my CAI without the connector?

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/22 | 12:09 AM

Can I connect vent hose to my CAI without the connector?

Hi all. I just got a new CAI but the vent hose connector is broken and I removed it to get a new one. Is it possible to connect it to the CAI without a connector and clamp it tight?

Old 5/16/22 | 06:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hard to say without a better idea of what you are talking about -- if you can post a picture or two that shows the issue, we might be able to comment
Old 5/18/22 | 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Like Bert says, pics would help. But sans that...

Get an appropriate pipe fitting that will screw in to something. Get a nut to go on the screws of the fitting. If the hole that the old connector broke off is not big enough to fit that fitting, drill the appropriate sized hole. Be careful to not go too big/wallow it out. Screw in the fitting, put the nut on the other side of the tube to secure it properly. Dope the outside of the fitting edge along the tube with sensor safe RTV. Let cure fully. Install and enjoy.

If the hole is too big and needs to be closed, you'll need to patch that hole up somehow. You can splice in some plastic and plastic weld the pieces together (if it's plastic) or you can weld on some metal if it's a metal piece, or you can make a *GREAT BIG DANG HOLE* and then put in a GREAT BIG OL PLUG of some sort and goop it up like up there. Then proceed to drill the above hole, in a new location if needed (to which, be careful not to impinge on something that may cause the hose to get damaged, or the something to be upset), and then continue on with that stuff above.

Ostensibly. Without seeing the problem directly of course. I'm waaaay over here in the intarwebs y'know, just like Bert there.

Now one thing that'll be perhaps problematic is airflow past the new fitting and/or your patch. It *may be* that the airflow is disturbed enough that it will mess up a sensor or cause MPG issues... there's a bit of science to this whole snorkel thing they use these days. I've seen it be a thing. It's why they need a different tune for different CAIs on these cars. Not only better flow/more air, but also turbulence or not.

Me? I'd be investigating getting a new replacement for that part rather than go through any headaches thereto. But I offer that up there nonetheless, and hope it helps! Good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 5/18/22 at 06:24 PM.