Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Borla touring drone

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/14, 05:53 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla touring drone

I installed the borla touring axle back a few weeks ago and I am experiencing quite some drone between 2500-3000 rpm. I tried a few things to get rid of that but without success. The tourings are supposed to be without any drone ...

Any ideas what to do or check to eliminate it?
Old 9/3/14, 07:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That surprises me. I think you're the first that I've heard that has this issue. I was at solo, finishing off the quad AB kit for the V6 mustang and there was a F150 that was getting the Borla touring setup installed at the shop and when he drove away, it sounded even quieter than stock!

The exhaust They mocked up is for dual / quad tip Axel back for the V6 mustang and has zero drone anywhere except the 1,900-2,000 RPM range while in 6th. It's not bad by anymeans either. But you can hear it if the windows are up.
Old 9/3/14, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Well, it started of o.k. but it getting worse. First it got a little bit louder which is good but by now it is too loud combined with that ugly drone!
The borlas that i had on my Camaro were great but these are sh.. I even think about switching back to stock.
Old 9/3/14, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I would give Borla a shout. I have those mufflers and have no drone at all. I get a nice low rumble at startup and cruising, and a roar when I step on it.
Old 9/3/14, 02:41 PM
GT Member

I just sent them a mail, let's what say about it.
Old 9/3/14, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
I have Borla Touring with the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe and BBK Short Tube headers and no drone.
Are you sure the clamps are tight and they are not hitting anything.
Old 9/3/14, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the ATAKs and its whisper quiet when cruising. Zero drone at all. Did you install them yourself? There might be an exhaust leak somewhere where the clamps are. That could cause it. The clamps don't go straight they are kind of diaganol so they are on both the mufflers and xpipe.
Old 9/3/14, 10:49 PM
GT Member

Yeah, I installed them myself and I already double checked. Everything is tight and no suspected leaks as far as I can tell.
Are there different aftermarket clamps available, which are bigger maybe? Just to make sure...
Old 9/4/14, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just make sure the clamps are angled so it pulls the axleback closer to the xpipe. If it is straight it is just wrapped around the flange and the exhaust will be escaping out of the sides.

Don't know if that makes sense.

I had the tourings awhile ago and got rid of them because they are way too quiet not much louder than stock. You shouldn't hear anything unless you're at WOT.
Old 9/4/14, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Just make sure the clamps are angled so it pulls the axleback closer to the xpipe. If it is straight it is just wrapped around the flange and the exhaust will be escaping out of the sides.

Don't know if that makes sense.

I had the tourings awhile ago and got rid of them because they are way too quiet not much louder than stock. You shouldn't hear anything unless you're at WOT.
I'll try that tomorrow and will do it in reverse order. First tighten the clamp bolt and than the bolts on the pipe to give it enough play to close the gap completely.
Old 9/5/14, 02:55 AM
GT Member

O.k. I realigned the clamp and checked all connctions but that didn't do it. It is a little bit better but not gone. Any further ideas? Maybe the hangers ...
Old 9/5/14, 08:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyJoe
O.k. I realigned the clamp and checked all connctions but that didn't do it. It is a little bit better but not gone. Any further ideas? Maybe the hangers ...
Check and make sure the hangers are not touching anything but rubber.
Old 9/5/14, 09:21 AM
GT Member

The hangers are clear. I have to investigate a bit further, hope I'll find out. -No answer from borla so far.
Old 9/5/14, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

is drone resident at 2500 - 3000 RPM in every gear?

and also under heavy load or light acceleration while going through that range?
Old 9/5/14, 11:31 AM
GT Member

Almost, I'd say it is between 2300-2800, other than that, yes! Why, any idea?
Old 9/6/14, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyJoe
Almost, I'd say it is between 2300-2800, other than that, yes! Why, any idea?
I was thinking that, if it wasn't resident in every gear, that would have been more proof that there may have been a way it was installed. In all honesty, it would be a good idea to take it to a shop and ask them to look over your work. Maybe a muffler shop that's familiar with the borla line products.... Or call borla direct first and see what they say?

Heck.... Maybe its the axle back set that's got something wrong like some kind of defect somewhere, I wouldn't rule that out either. What i do know is that, using any car as a DD, zero drone is a must!
Old 9/6/14, 08:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I was thinking that, if it wasn't resident in every gear, that would have been more proof that there may have been a way it was installed. In all honesty, it would be a good idea to take it to a shop and ask them to look over your work. Maybe a muffler shop that's familiar with the borla line products.... Or call borla direct first and see what they say?

Heck.... Maybe its the axle back set that's got something wrong like some kind of defect somewhere, I wouldn't rule that out either. What i do know is that, using any car as a DD, zero drone is a must!
True, I am using it for daily driving and at the moment one way is around 100miles, so no drone acceptable. I think I'll switch back to stock, my cruising speed is at drone rpm all the time. That is driving me nuts.

The installation is o.k., it's been triple checked. There must be something wrong with the axle backs. I even checked the trunk if there might be the cause but didn't find anything so far.
Old 9/6/14, 08:18 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I would check the part number to make sure you have the 'tourings'. I think they sent you the wrong ones. Just a thought..............
Old 9/6/14, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I would check the part number to make sure you have the 'tourings'. I think they sent you the wrong ones. Just a thought..............
That was my first thought as well, but it is the correct part no.
Old 9/7/14, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Just talked to someone from summit but they won't do anything about it, he said I have to talk to Borla. Actually I sent Borla a mail a week ago and didn't get an answer yet. Does anyone have any experience with Borla concerning any issue of customer service? How do they handle product problems?

Quick Reply: Borla touring drone