Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Best CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/12, 05:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the dudeness
Here is a video from Jay Leno with a Ford Engineer going over the Boss 302, they where they are claiming a CAI won't get you anything.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw @ 4:45

I'm sure this is partially just becase Ford says they have the best figured out for the car, and partially taking it as just adding a CAI won't do anything.

Yet they add one to the more powerful Shelby? The plot thickens......
Attached Thumbnails Best CAI?-image-2481817984.jpg  
Old 12/17/12, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano
please explain how CAI doesnt improve performance i would love to hear this
Ford did a good job with the stock air boxes for our new 3.7 V6. Hard to beat them with just a swap of a CAI. With a tuner and exhaust perhaps, you might see something on a dyno sheet, but doubtful as a "seat of the pants" feel.

You will however hear it. I'm guessing this is what has folks liking them on the V6. The stock air box has that square sound muffler built into it. The CIA's don't. When you romp the gas pedal, you hear it.

Or, for 20 bucks, you can buy a sound tube from the 5.0 guys that take them off, and get the same thing the CAI (by itself with no other mods) would produce on the V6; more sound.

I don't see huge gains happening on a V6 without adding a tuner and exhaust to start with.

And I own a 3.7 V6. I have a C&L CAI. Bought it used; it did not require a tuner to install. Some of the CAI's for the V6 do, as they have a larger than stock tube and claim it will mess with the mass airflow sensor readings. I also have a set of GT500 exhausts too. Did not see any MPG increase, nor any real performance gains. Why did I install each? The exhaust note is better than stock with the GT500's, and those too were bought used. I have less than half the amount of a new cat back system that sells for the V6. The CAI? well, it was used (paid a hundred bucks for it). Did nothing in the way of performance or mileage. Looks nice though!

Sounds real good when I hit the gas pedal...

So if you wanted an honest opinion, I gave you one.

Last edited by Bucko; 12/17/12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12/17/12, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Points well taken, Bucko. TYVM.
Old 12/19/12, 01:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by the dudeness
Here is a video from Jay Leno with a Ford Engineer going over the Boss 302, they where they are claiming a CAI won't get you anything.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw @ 4:45

I'm sure this is partially just becase Ford says they have the best figured out for the car, and partially taking it as just adding a CAI won't do anything.

To go the CAI route, you really need a tune (voiding your warranty) or some other mods (which will require a tune to get the most benifit) to really get the gains you want to see for the money.

Like they say in the video though, if you just want something in there that will look good, the CAI definately is more appealing than the stock airbox (imo), i just don't think it's worth it without a tune or other mods.

As with most things, if the price is too good to be true ($150 for a CAI), then it probably is. In years past i would jump on deals like this, but anymore, a solid warranty and reputable brand are more important to me. I want to make sure that if the product breaks or causes harm to my engine, that there is a solid company there to work with to fix the issue.
Once again he's claiming that because the 302 has a built in CAI
Old 12/20/12, 05:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Utube video clearly has the Ford engineer stating that a CAI does not provide any benefits, other than looks. I've been reminded before on this site, why question them? They have done their homework. Save the money and go with something that does provide something worth the money spent. I'll guess the open filter on the Shelby's are for looks and sound.
Old 12/20/12, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
CAI's in themselves do do much (if anything) for power, its IN the tune.. Ill bet $100 of you install a non tune cai like the Roush on a stock 3v there is no power (maybe a hp or two) but when you unleash a tune.. Thats a different story.
Old 12/20/12, 06:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone compared the CAIs to the stock box on the V6? It's worth looking into this before you spend your hard earned money.

With the GTs, folks seem split over if a CAI is noticably better than the excellent stock intake...or at least better enogh to justify the $300 typical price.
Old 12/20/12, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I am with the folks that state no gain from CAI, unless you add a tune which I am not willing to do on my brand new car.
Buy GOOd air filters and spend your money elsewhere.
Based on my experience with a CAI on a previous vehicle, the only real gain I saw was sound increase at WOT. Neat but not worth 300 bucks.
Bottom line-- CAI with tune or NO CAI, to me these are the only real options.
Old 12/20/12, 07:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I am with the folks that state no gain from CAI, unless you add a tune which I am not willing to do on my brand new car.
Buy GOOd air filters and spend your money elsewhere.
Based on my experience with a CAI on a previous vehicle, the only real gain I saw was sound increase at WOT. Neat but not worth 300 bucks.
Bottom line-- CAI with tune or NO CAI, to me these are the only real options.
I suspect you're right...but word on the street that even when CAI+Tune are done, you get 25hp from the tune, ~5 more from the CAI...so the first $300 (on the tune) nets you 83%, the second $300 (on the CAI) nets the remaining 17% at best.

No idea if this pertains to the V6s as well.