Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

BBK shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/15, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile BBK shorty headers

Hey guys. I needed some help/insight on something that ive been experiencing after installing the bbk shorty headers on my 14 v6.

I installed the headers and used the stock gaskets. everything seems really good. The sound is even better now and the car is definitely faster around all rpm bands (especially higher).

Now the only thing that's bothering me is the clicking sound at 2k+ rpms. It's very minor, not a loud noise at all or anything. But it's there.

Is this normal? Should i have replaced the gaskets with brand new ones?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 5/9/15, 09:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the tuned length shorties on my v8 i haven't looked at clearances on the sixers but I know the steering shaft on mine is really close to one of the tubes and usually in reverse when the engine tilts that direction i hear the clicking and also sometimes while moving forward. Best i can figure it is contacting a little. Doubt theres any way to fix it without reengineering the shaft or taking a hammer to that tube. I had the same issue on my ranger with similar style headers never caused any problems just kinda annoying when it happened.
Old 5/9/15, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I think if a metal part hits another metal part, its a very different sound. I don't think im talking about that. It's not like the sound of a heat shield rattling. It's more like minor clicks when i floor the car and air goes through the headers.. At least that's what i think it is.
Old 5/9/15, 10:19 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah i understand what you are saying thats the only thing I could see that may cause it. And after having two cars do it that have nothing in common other than the clearance issue I tend to lean toward that conclusion. Also it may be the way the header flange meets the block gaskets shouldn't cause an issue I'm running ford aftermarket header gaskets on mine and have the same noise. But these things do have some pretty dramatic bends compared to stock its possible the flow of gas through them causes the sound under certain conditions.
Old 5/9/15, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Appreciate it Chris!
Old 5/18/15, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iceD
I think if a metal part hits another metal part, its a very different sound. I don't think im talking about that. It's not like the sound of a heat shield rattling. It's more like minor clicks when i floor the car and air goes through the headers.. At least that's what i think it is.
It's not a pinging sound, is it?
Old 5/18/15, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

No, its more of a tick tick tick tick sound as i cruise! A very fast ticking sound.
Old 5/18/15, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I got the bolts re-torqued today after speaking with a BBK rep.

And the sound has decreased by 50%. So its way better now, but i can still hear the fast ticking sound a little bit.

I can't figure out if this is the way the headers are designed? Or if a couple bolts are still loose. The guy re-torqued all the bolts in front of me today though.
Old 5/18/15, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh and not to mention, last night, the heated O2 code came on. Code P0030

But i erased it using my code reader. Light hasn't come on today though, after tightening the bolts and erasing the code.

Hopefully someone can chime in who have bbk shorty headers.

However, the car sound and performance is great with these, no doubt about that!
Old 5/19/15, 06:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
have you tried to rev it around 2k at idle and see if that ticking sound is still resident? if it is, pop the hood and have someone rev it at 2k and you can take a look and see if it's a clearance issue or not, wouldn't hurt.
Old 5/19/15, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

since the bolts have been re-torqued, there is no more ticking sound at lower rpms, only at higher speed/rpm. It's way better now. But still there.